Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: WIFI AP recommendations  (Read 6721 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: WIFI AP recommendations
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2022, 08:05:01 AM »

it does matter, as it's not just PoE functions i'm looking for, there were others i included as well.

the EAP615-Wall says 802.3af/at PoE support.
so that, along with the other switch features i'd like to have.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2022, 11:55:18 AM »

TP-LINK Omada EAP235s.  ;D

Which TP-Link Powerline adaptor are you using?

on closer inspection i've had to rule out the wall plate APs from TP-Link due to the mounting requirements, they are designed to be fitted flush over an existing socket backbox, however i don't have any where these would be fitted, and as i have solid brick walls i don't have the desire to start digging out a socket backbox for them.

however, the EAP610 ceiling mount seem to have almost the same space, and don't have the same mounting restriction
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/ceiling-mount-ap/eap610/

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2022, 01:04:58 PM »

on closer inspection i've had to rule out the wall plate APs from TP-Link due to the mounting requirements, they are designed to be fitted flush over an existing socket backbox, however i don't have any where these would be fitted, and as i have solid brick walls i don't have the desire to start digging out a socket backbox for them.

however, the EAP610 ceiling mount seem to have almost the same space, and don't have the same mounting restriction

£86 each at present:
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tp-link-omada-eap610-wifi-6-ax-access-point-4036684
https://www.amazon.fr/TP-Link-Point-dacc%C3%A8s-WiFi-EAP610/dp/B098K3VCHC/
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 01:06:59 PM by meritez »

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2022, 01:13:38 PM »

I know you are keen on PoE but I would consider a decent mesh system. Virgin hub in modem mode, with the Mesh system handling all the routing.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2022, 01:25:17 PM »

I know you are keen on PoE but I would consider a decent mesh system. Virgin hub in modem mode, with the Mesh system handling all the routing.

a mesh system might work well in a studwall/plasterboard house, but not when every interall wall is at least 6 inch thick brick wall.
also, i've never been keen on mesh as a concept as each mesh op cuts the available bandwidth to the next mesh hop (i've over simplified that, but there are plenty other better explanations out there).

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2022, 01:26:15 PM »

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2022, 02:11:25 PM »

i'm going to get, as a starting point....

1 x https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/ceiling-mount-ap/eap610/ (the V2 model).
1 x https://www.tp-link.com/uk/business-networking/poe-switch/tl-sg108pe/v3/ (8 port POE switch)

i think that as a starting point (alongside the opnsense router), will give a good base, and i can then add extra APs once i've seen what the coverage of the 1 AP will be when placed in the hallway.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2022, 07:22:24 PM »

The wall plate APs are only really any good for one-room coverage anyway, you want ceiling for the best range.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2023, 06:21:42 PM »

I have a Netgear WAX206 ready to go, the Openwrt dev's have been working hard on it, its stable in snapshots and will be in the upcoming new release of OpenWRT.

Wifi 6 AX support so I am moving upwards in the wifi world.

Although interestingly I added a Intel AX210 to my new motherboard ready for PC upgrade, and now am aware of WIFI6E O_o a brand new 6ghz frequency with no DFS restrictions, looks promising.  Not sure why 5ghz was picked over this before when this has no radar conflicts?

https://kb.netgear.com/000062799/What-is-the-difference-between-WiFi-6-and-WiFi-6E

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2023, 02:06:46 AM »

Because 6Ghz was licensed spectrum, the AP has to check an online database to see if any of the channels are in-use in your location and omit those from use.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/catalyst-9100ax-access-points/ghz-unlicensed-spectrum-reg-wp.html

Not sure if that applies in the UK as OFCOM didn't open up nearly as much spectrum as the US.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 02:11:14 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chunkers

• Reg Member
  • Brick Wall head-banger
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2023, 05:04:27 PM »

I had a similar problem with coverage in my house, my phone line and router were in the office and I couldn't get wifi to cover the whole house from there, especially not in the upstairs bedrooms where streaming any kind of video was impossible.

I also used homeplug plug in WAP's temporarily which improved things but I found them a bit temperamental with my old wiring and I have a suspicion they affected my DSL line.  In the end I bit the bullet, drilled holes and ran an ethernet around the outside of the perimeter of the house and back into the living room where I sited a switch and a second WAP, this also allowed me to have wired ethernet for my media devices (TV and Media server) which solved all the 4k video streaming issues etc.  My ultimate plan was also to put a third WAP unit upstairs but this proved unnecessary as the two WAP's provided plenty of coverage.

I have 2 Unifi AC Pro's, it looks like they can be had for £50 pre-owned on ebay. I don't run the controller software, the WAP's have been completely reliable - really good.

I haven't had much luck with home networking consumer stuff generally from Asus, Netgear and TP-Link, I particularly avoid TP-Link stuff as I have tried their devices in the past and they pump out models so fast that they stop firmware updates after only 1-2 years and I have frequently had reliability issues with their equipment, I do have some Netgear Prosafe network stuff. I generally try and steer clear of the weird gamer stuff, routers that look like spaceships :o

Maybe you should take a deep breath and get your hammer drill out ? Anyway I hope you get it sorted shortly.

C

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2023, 02:42:37 AM »

Set up the WAX206 now as needed to test that Intel wifi card.

It was maxed at 80mbps on the hh5a (cpu bound), and the C7 in another room was similar, very very close in fact so I wanted to be sure the card itself wasnt the issue, the C7 will replace the hh5a tomorrow, but from the WAX206 in the same place as the C7 was using AX its clearing 200mbit now.

Using snapshot, as rc1 23.x release is in a mixed abi state (just my luck), but not a fan of the new network structure on openwrt the DSA stuff for VLAN configuration, its not immediately intuitive I think and had to resort to RTFM on it after an hour of fiddling.  Also switch configuration isnt in its own place on the network menu now either.

Nevertheless its a nice device, even with the corners netgear cut (no usb port or power switch).

Xbox not really much faster though, PS5 probably will be same as Xbox.

Laptop hitting just under 500mbps on wifi now on a pretty old wifi card.

Will see what can do on 4x4 AC when I test on phone.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 04:11:55 PM by Chrysalis »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2023, 10:02:43 AM »

Seeing 700mbps off my WAX206 to 2x2 wifi6 clients

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2023, 04:10:11 PM »

Yeah its a good little device, not quite a drop in replacement for the C7 on OpenWRT due to no USB port, but a good choice I think.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2023, 04:15:24 PM »

Archer C7 replacement would be the Belkin RT1800
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4