Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: WIFI AP recommendations  (Read 6718 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
WIFI AP recommendations
« on: November 30, 2022, 04:15:12 PM »

this is related to my other thread about opnsense/pfsense (https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,27390.0.html)

i recently moved from a fairly new build 2 storey house (all internal walls plaster board/wooden stud walls) where my existing router (ASUS RT-AX88U) covered all area of the house very well (both floors), so a 1930's bottom floor flat where all the internal walls are thick brick and my WIFI is now barely leaving the room where the ASUS router is.

my temp solution is that I've installed a TP-link powerline adaptor to add WIFI coverage in the furthest away part of the flat (which actually is probably only about 40 feet max).
this is not what i want the permanent solution to be though.

so I've decided to go away from the "all-in-one" solution of the Asus RT-AX88U (which is actually a very good router but can't handle thick brick walls), to a separate device solution (hence the opnsense thread).

so my question is about WIFI APs.
if money was no object i'd go full Unifi (dream machine pro router, Unifi APs, Unifi switch etc), but money is an object.
so I'm looking for recommendations/suggests about APs that i can put in place to give me back the proper WIFI coverage. I'm probably going to need at least 2. and ideally they are PoE powered so i only have to worry about getting an ethernet cable to them. i can mount them either on ceiling or high up on the walls (i will need to drill holes for the ethernet).

they have to be at least AC WIFI 5, my laptop has AX WIFI 6 but in reality it never uses.

see attached floorplan.
the virgin modem and ASUS router are currently in the office (marked in red).
the tplink WIFI extender is in bedroom 1 (marked in red). if the wasn't there the WIFI coverage in that room would be virtually zero.
in the living room my Nvidia shield has no WIFI connectivity (although i haven't tested it yet with a full 4K HDR BRRIP, which it didn't have a problem with in the old house), but my iPhone will keep losing and reconnecting to the WIFI in that room.

all the walls are brick, with the wall between the living room and bedroom thicker as it used to be a chimney stack.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: WIFI AP recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022, 08:50:30 PM »

TP-LINK Omada EAP235s.  ;D

Which TP-Link Powerline adaptor are you using?

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022, 08:57:51 PM »

Unifi AP's are only around £120 each... though by the time you've bought a few... :)

I have WiFi 6 AP's from Unifi and internally get 500-700Mbps up/down on them (with devices that'll support WiFi 6 of course)
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022, 08:58:08 PM »

TL-PA8010P and TP-WPA8631P
But I don’t want to keep using them permanently, only a temp solution.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022, 09:00:33 PM »

Unifi AP's are only around £120 each... though by the time you've bought a few... :)

I have WiFi 6 AP's from Unifi and internally get 500-700Mbps up/down on them (with devices that'll support WiFi 6 of course)

I was getting that, if not better, from my ASUS in the previous location

The problem with unifi APs on their own is that you generally still need a unifi controller to manage them on an ongoing basis

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022, 09:02:56 PM »

I have peaked at 800, but honestly I don't care enough about wireless to chase anymore. Bear in mind my actual internet connectivity is currently 110 :)

And yes, that is true you do need a controller - as i run servers - I just run my own docker container with Unifi for nothing, but that means having a server or something to run it on. I think you can do it with a Raspberry Pi though.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022, 09:15:31 PM »

Unifi is such a resource hog though, as is pretty much anything written in Java.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2022, 09:23:32 PM »

I think realistically I’m looking at putting an AP in the 3 main rooms (living Room, office and bedroom)

And configuring them with alternate channels so they don’t conflict with each other, and appropriate power levels. There should be enough overlap to cover the hall, kitchen and bathroom.

I’ve never really used TP-Link kit so not familiar with how easy they are to maintain and configure.

The EAP615-Wall may be a better medium term future proofing option though

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 09:38:15 PM »

I’ve used TP-Link APs and they were fine, just worked, no problems. The config was very detailed so you might want to ask about some of the parameters to get the best out of them.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 10:00:52 AM »

If you have an iPhone, install the Apple Airport utility and do a WiFi scan in the areas you need WiFi, you may find the reason you are getting poor performance is neighbours WiFi. You will see all the visible networks along with channels and signal strength. Adding more APs may compound the issue, sometimes with WiFi less is more.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203068

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022, 10:13:17 AM »

nah it's not network congestion, it's because of the 6 inch brick internal walls.

also, that app only works if you have an apple airport router/AP, which long since stop being sold.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 10:15:57 AM by chenks »

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2022, 10:30:22 AM »

also, that app only works if you have an apple airport router/AP, which long since stop being sold.
The App works as scanner, see the link above, no need for Airport device, try it and see  :)

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2022, 10:32:52 AM »

The App works as scanner, see the link above, no need for Airport device, try it and see  :)

i did, it says no airport devices found and doesn't do anything other than that.
it's not a congestion issue anyway.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 10:48:38 AM by chenks »

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2022, 11:11:28 AM »

Did you follow instructions, as per link? Definitely works, we use it all the time. Step 1 is important, to give permission for App to scan:

1. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings, tap AirPort Utility, then turn on Wi-Fi Scanner.
2. Open the Airport Utility app, then tap Wi-Fi Scan.
3. Use the slider to set a scan duration of up to 60 seconds. By default, Wi-Fi Scanner runs continuously.
4. To start the scan, tap Scan. AirPort Utility lists all the SSIDs that it finds. This includes hidden networks, which appear as "Network name unavailable." To stop the scan, tap Stop.

If you are planning new WiFi setup, I would always recommend a quick survey first. Also use the App find optimum position for planned AP(s).

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 11:21:42 AM »

Did you follow instructions, as per link? Definitely works, we use it all the time. Step 1 is important, to give permission for App to scan:

yes, this is not my first rodeo.
my existing router has a comprehensive wifi survey tool

as i said, it's not a congestion issue.

the only WIFI networks in range are my own (or none depending on which room you're in at the time).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 11:24:55 AM by chenks »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything