Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: pfsense or opensense  (Read 5687 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Re: pfsense or opensense
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2022, 07:48:52 AM »

True, but they cost two to three times as much for the same hardware if you use a UK supplier.  Although its generally a good idea to get a replacement PSU as the quality of what they provide is a real gamble.  The PSU mine came with is the lightest 12V 3A I've ever felt, I have serious doubts of its quality and safety given my external HDD ones at 1.5A weigh more.  But I wouldn't trust a UK supplier to provide anything better than direct from China either.

yeah i saw that in one of the videos about the kit.
they said that replacing the PSU with a better one brought the power consumption down a little also.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2022, 11:58:22 AM »

I think I replaced my Qotom PSU, there was a reason but cant remember what it was now.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2022, 02:00:55 PM »

anything bought direct from China i'm always wary of the supplied PSU.
even if it's a brand name i'd assume it's a fake one.

if these use just a standard laptop style charger then i would have plenty of those kicking around anyway.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2022, 10:21:14 AM »

Having gotten used to pfSense I considered moving to opnSense but honestly didn't like the look of the UI.  If I weren't using pfBlockerNG I might have still switched though.

The box I'm using is linked in my sig, cheap and extremely efficient yet should handle up to 2.5Gbit.

when you say should handle up to 2.5Gbps, the device only has 1Gbps ports.
are you talking about theoretical 2.5Gbps rather than actual?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2022, 11:11:47 AM »

Found a product been advertised on proxmox forum yesterday forked from opnsense, so now is a 3rd one O_o, called dynfi, but for me it will be just pfsense or opnsense.

Can see in the youtube videos is some errors and references to opnsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15-YbHzA0u0

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2022, 01:00:00 PM »

when you say should handle up to 2.5Gbps, the device only has 1Gbps ports.
are you talking about theoretical 2.5Gbps rather than actual?

The device I use and linked in my sig has 2.5Gbit ports.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2022, 01:05:20 PM »

The device I use and linked in my sig has 2.5Gbit ports.

No, the device in your link has 4 x 1Gbps ports
Unless the device I’m being presented with when I click on the link is different to what you see

The images show 1Gbps LAN

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2022, 01:08:39 PM »

No, the device in your link has 4 x 1Gbps ports
Unless the device I’m being presented with when I click on the link is different to what you see

The images show 1Gbps LAN

Its labelled incorrectly on the image, if you look at the title and specifications list it mentions the correct specifications.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2022, 01:10:38 PM »

Its labelled incorrectly on the image, if you look at the title and specifications list it mentions the correct specifications.

Just another reason why aliexpress is such a pain, you don’t know what info is correct or just made up.

Apparently the mention of ESX is also false according to a recent review

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2022, 12:27:19 PM »

now i'm just playing the delivery time game.
quite impressively it made it into the country on in the early hours of 09/12, but not moved from the "Arrival to the destination airport" since then.

no idea which airport that is likely to be, but as the tracking number is just a royal mail tracking number it's probably at an airport in england at the moment (probably not even passed thru customs yet), and then due to royal mail god knows how long it'll take to eventually make its way to the local delivery office.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2022, 12:43:02 PM »

Found a product been advertised on proxmox forum yesterday forked from opnsense, so now is a 3rd one O_o, called dynfi, but for me it will be just pfsense or opnsense.

Can see in the youtube videos is some errors and references to opnsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15-YbHzA0u0

Looks like a management controller for opnsense and pfsense:
https://www.osnet.eu/en/content/dynfi-central-management-solution-pfsense-and-opnsense-software

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2022, 04:58:13 PM »

now i'm just playing the delivery time game.
quite impressively it made it into the country on in the early hours of 09/12, but not moved from the "Arrival to the destination airport" since then.

no idea which airport that is likely to be, but as the tracking number is just a royal mail tracking number it's probably at an airport in england at the moment (probably not even passed thru customs yet), and then due to royal mail god knows how long it'll take to eventually make its way to the local delivery office.

I think mine only took a couple of weeks, was much faster than I expected.  Obviously no guarantees, especially at this time of year and given the Royal Mail strikes too.  Took two weeks to get something inland on 48 hour delivery recently, not that I blame them for striking.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2022, 11:53:13 AM »

yep, the airport it arrived into was Heathrow.
it cleared customs on 13/12 in the morning, hasn't moved since.

be surprised now if it shows up this side of Christmas.

don't get me started on strikes though, i think unions are the worst thing in this country, and striking is non-sensical IMO. if someone isn't happy with the T&Cs of whatever job they are in then go find another job that does match what they want. pretty sure there are plenty of unemployed people to fill the hole they leave. guaranteed that whilst people are striking the leaders of their union are taking a very healthy paycheck home each month.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2022, 05:19:07 AM »

I couldn't disagree more.

Striking is the only way to force better pay and just replacing them with other underpaid people just continues the problem of wages being far too low compared to the cost of living and the rise in working people needing to use food banks to make ends meet.  Something needs to change.

There is also a factor of paying people enough for them to do a good job, if you pay peanuts, expect monkeys.

I do agree that there is a problem with union leaders not putting their money where their mouth is though, but its a tricky one if you want someone competent to do the job.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2022, 10:32:26 AM »

pretty sure there are plenty of unemployed people to fill the hole they leave. guaranteed that whilst people are striking the leaders of their union are taking a very healthy paycheck home each month.

Pretty sure there aren't plenty of unemployed people willing and able to fill the holes these people may leave. A reminder that the people striking voted in favour of industrial action: they weren't forced into it by union leaders.

Collective bargaining is really, really important. I may not need it, you may not need it but many folks do. Without unions we'd be in a way worse place. Wages have already taken a huge hit in favour of corporate profits flowing out to shareholders and it does need to revert back to how it was. There's far too much wealth and money concentrated in too few hands in the UK. Given we seem to be taxing like them now we could do with taking some lessons from Scandinavian countries. We may actually see something back for our taxes and not have people in work needing welfare topping it up to pay for the very basics of shelter, warmth, light and food if they can actually cover those basics at all.

A reminder you, I and almost everyone else is just one unfortunate incident away from being in a much worse place than we are now.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4