Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Support and engineers with fibre alt-nets  (Read 1896 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Support and engineers with fibre alt-nets
« on: November 21, 2022, 12:56:33 PM »

If I were to select the fibre service of a non-BT carrier, what’s the chances of getting any kind of faults diagnosed or fixed, ever? Do any of the various names I’ve heard briefly mentioned have qualified and local repair and diagnostics engineers? I of course can’t use an alt-net living here in the choice-free Hebrides, but if I lived in the far North on the East Coast, Aberdeenshire way, then more than one alt-net is available. Cityfibre is in Aberdeen, and Netomnia is available iirc somewhere around those parts. It is to be profoundly hoped that they have an engineer or two living in Aberdeen itself. It would be a ten hours’ driving time round trip for someone to come from the central belt to me, and would be quite a long time to come to Aberdeen, maybe 4-6 hrs round trip.

I wonder if alt-nets share engineers? It would be very sensible. It would make a lot of sense to buy in such services, because of the sharing possibilities. I just had an idea, what if Openreach were to make money by reselling the services of their huge engineer network to alt-nets ? They’re all trained and they’re all very local. Perhaps BT wouldn’t like it because they would be giving an advantage to their competition, but seeing as they’re not going to put a stop to the rise of alt-nets, they might as well make some profit out of them, no? Perhaps a mad idea, totally.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Re: Support and engineers with fibre alt-nets
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2022, 02:34:27 PM »

Working for an AltNet, I think it is fair to tell you that we have our own field engineers, and they are located across our main customer areas (Wales)

Can't speak for Scotland but you'd need an engineer employed by the AltNet (or maybe they contract it out?) to reach your fibre should the need ever arise.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 03:08:24 PM »

Good for you dee.jay! And good to know. I realise that you can’t say whether or not AltNets’ field engineers do or do not know their stuff. Don’t say if you don’t wish to, but where abouts are you in Wales? As a currently once again failed Welsh learner here. :)

Has anyone else out there had experience of a fault being diagnosed and remedied by an AltNet?

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2022, 03:45:24 PM »

Ours certainly do :)

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2022, 04:25:25 PM »

Has anyone else out there had experience of a fault being diagnosed and remedied by an AltNet?

Yes. Diagnosed by the altnet then remedied by the same contractor that did the install.

There's a lot less to diagnose as far as full fibre goes.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2022, 06:40:31 AM »

So do the AltNets contract out their field engineer repairs or have their own employees or both?

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2022, 08:02:58 AM »

Both - initial builds are done with contractors.

Field teams look after the deployed fibre.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2022, 09:49:17 AM »

Yeah it depends. I guess we have to remember VMO2, Openreach and CityFibre all use contractors for network build, home install and some service calls.

Some altnets make extensive use of their own people, others run leaner and can given the relative reliability of full fibre.

The bigger the coverage area and the faster the build the more use of contractors.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

anything