Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Black Friday deals?  (Read 2563 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Black Friday deals?
« on: November 19, 2022, 09:38:20 PM »

I'm already with Talktalk on their 550/75 package, currently paying £35 a month.
I'm very satisfied with the service. Low latency and full speed 24/7.

I was looking at upgrading to their full fibre 900 package (1000/115) so was looking at their offers and I'm somewhat amazed at their current deal for new customers.

£42 a month on an 18 month contract.
1 years free Amazon Prime (worth £95) which I usually subscribe to anyway. Available to new and existing Prime subscribers.
2 x Eero 6 Pro's that I wouldn't use but they sell for around £100 each on eBay.
£127.50 cashback from topcashback.

They are now offering a £150 reward card instead of Amazon Prime.

After cashback and reward card taken off it works out at £26.50 a month.
If I can sell the Eero's (£100 each) it's £15.50 a month :o :o

It will come with the usual CPI + 3.7% price increase in April which will add £5-6 a month.

I must say I think overall it's a crazy good deal. New customers only (sigh) so we'll simply switch it from 1 name to the other to get round that.

BT are doing half price for 6 months but only if you take a tv package at the same time. It's also a 24 month contract which I'm strongly against.

Has anyone come across any good deals on Openreach based gigabit packages?

Edit: multiple edits. Deal changed at midnight.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 01:47:58 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bogof

• Reg Member
Re: Black Friday deals?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2022, 10:05:12 PM »

BT are doing half price for 6 months but only if you take a tv package at the same time. It's also a 24 month contract which I'm strongly against.
If 18months is OK, 24months isn't really much worse.  Neither are really a reflection of their obligations with their suppliers.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2022, 10:26:39 PM »

With BT you never own the Hub and have to send it back if you leave. I don't know about TalkTalk but worth making sure!

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2022, 11:52:45 PM »

With BT you never own the Hub and have to send it back if you leave. I don't know about TalkTalk but worth making sure!
Has this changed recently?  I have an attic full of Home Hubs..

gt94sss2

• Kitizen

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 01:53:27 AM »

If 18months is OK, 24months isn't really much worse.  Neither are really a reflection of their obligations with their suppliers.

Using that logic if 24 months is ok then 30 months is ok.
If 30 months is ok then 36 months is ok.

There has to be a limit somewhere. I prefer 12 month contracts but they are few and far between, especially on the budget end. I'll stretch another 6 months and take an 18 month contract but that doesn't mean 24 isn't much worse. It's double what I was wanting.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 02:27:44 AM »

I seem to recall Ofcom regs requiring firms to offer 12 month contracts as an option though they are not always to find.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 07:15:42 AM »

With Zen on 900 fttp. Annoying as they only would offer 24 months contract. Too long for me but that was the only option they would offer. 12 months would have been my preferred option.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2022, 08:01:29 AM »

I'm okay with 24 months, though it would be annoying if CityFibre comes along within that time and I can't switch because Zen are in minimum contract with OR.

Though I'm honestly wondering if CityFibre with AAISP would be a good option so I have a service on different networks, but then will Zen suddenly decide they REALLY want me off OR because CityFibre is cheaper for them?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2022, 09:33:00 AM »

I'm okay with 24 months, though it would be annoying if CityFibre comes along within that time and I can't switch because Zen are in minimum contract with OR.

Though I'm honestly wondering if CityFibre with AAISP would be a good option so I have a service on different networks, but then will Zen suddenly decide they REALLY want me off OR because CityFibre is cheaper for them?

You fibre about to go live finally with cheaper, faster, and shorter contract than zen/openreach in our street so thar is very annoying as I can't switch for yonks....

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2022, 06:07:43 PM »

You fibre about to go live finally with cheaper, faster, and shorter contract than zen/openreach in our street so thar is very annoying as I can't switch for yonks....

Maybe you'll end up on GEA and get to leave early?  :lol:

In all seriousness though, I do wonder if the alt-nets suffer more contention issues, although if that means the average speed is higher its not necessarily a problem.

I found it bizarre the person hooking up the fibre at my DP even was going on about how Openreach use better equipment than CityFibre so its more reliable. Given he was sub-contractor (so likely used for both networks) it seemed an odd thing to say.  Though I have long since learnt to take engineers saying anything with a pinch of salt.  Although I would expect an alt-net using cabinets to be slightly less reliable, as they have a better chance of drunk drivers taking out the whole estate or local power cuts, but both of those things must be pretty rare in the great scheme of things.  I'd expect backhoe issues to be more common which would take everyone out equally.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 06:13:03 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2022, 07:40:47 PM »

I can't see Zen ever force-migrating folk from BT to CityFibre, makes no sense, if you think GEA is potentially bad, imagine how many horror stories you'd get from forcing people to get a new physical fibre connection installed.

Do Zen even support CityFibre as an in-contract migration option? 

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2022, 08:52:26 PM »

I can't see Zen ever force-migrating folk from BT to CityFibre, makes no sense, if you think GEA is potentially bad, imagine how many horror stories you'd get from forcing people to get a new physical fibre connection installed.

Do Zen even support CityFibre as an in-contract migration option?

They might not force a migration, but I'm pretty sure Zen themselves have already said in areas where both networks are available in the future they will be selling Cityfibre over Openreach.

It makes perfect sense as Cityfibre wholesale terms are much more favourable.

Edit: they did

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/03/isp-zen-internet-extend-uk-cityfibre-fttp-availability-nationwide.html

Last year we reported that UK ISP Zen Internet was preparing to make their gigabit-capable Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) broadband packages on CityFibre’s new network available nationwide (here). A new deal has now been signed that sees Zen making an exclusive long-term volume commitment across CF’s entire network plan.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 08:57:12 PM by j0hn »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2022, 01:19:10 AM »

Yeah I figured they would default to CityFibre, what is not clear is if you can bypass that if you want redundancy.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2022, 08:33:50 AM »

I'm already with Talktalk on their 550/75 package, currently paying £35 a month.
I'm very satisfied with the service. Low latency and full speed 24/7.

"If its not broke don't fix it"

I recently renewed a relative's broadband package with TT via online chat, I mentioned an alterative ISP 'offer' for new customers they matched it.