Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: CBTs appearing on poles - this isn't Gigaclear?  (Read 2446 times)

re0

• Reg Member
CBTs appearing on poles - this isn't Gigaclear?
« on: November 12, 2022, 11:30:58 AM »

Hello all,

It's been a while since I started a new topic. I'll try and keep this short anyway.

I've noticed that Connectorised Block Terminals (CBT) have been popping up on some of the "serving" poles around me, including my own. There are plaques stating overhead fibre on the poles (though it's quite obvious they're up there).

I know there has been work done by Gigaclear around here, but I didn't think they did overhead - I thought they only served from the Point of Termination (POT), which are those black, plastic holes in the pavement.

I am not aware of any Openreach work recently, especially because there weren't any works posted as roadworks. I haven't ruled it out, but there is no indication on the Openreach website that it is coming any time soon.

Does anyone know if Gigaclear put CBTs on poles, or is this an indication that Openreach is also rolling out FTTP?

TIA
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: CBTs appearing on poles - this isn't Gigaclear?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 07:41:38 AM »

I've managed to get a look at one of the terminals and CommScope is the manufacturer.

Starman

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 09:04:39 AM »

Perhaps check BetterInternetDashboard - https://bidb.uk/

Might give some insight who is installing the equipment.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 11:07:48 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion. I check this frequently. Have only seen Gigaclear recently.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 11:41:09 AM »

They’ve turned off most of the feeds.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 10:05:20 PM »

A bit of a late update here, but it's live in the area now and I have been told that it's overhead. Nobody was able to tell me anything before it was live, but it's something I could have guessed even though it seemed unusual for them to serve overhead. Even the installation guides are based on the assumption the install is from a POT.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 11:39:18 AM »

Yes. Gigaclear decided they didn't want to go bankrupt so have started making much more use of PIA.

Their costs when they were doing all the digging themselves were, well, enormous.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 12:20:17 PM »

That makes sense. About a month ago, someone working on the fibre told me that they started doing overhead runs more where underground infrastructure didn't exist due to the costs involved (or along those lines). If there were already poles and ducts, it would make sense to use them.

It's ended up with a bit of patchwork around here, with a mix of UG and OH. One property can be UG, and the next can be OH. Even properties served from the same Openreach pole may have a different install method.

The benefit is that at least it's not required to dig up the garden to supply a service where it's served OH and there should not be any significant drawbacks if it's done properly other than being an eyesore. The only possible risk is impact from adverse weather.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2023, 09:06:09 PM »

Yes. Gigaclear decided they didn't want to go bankrupt so have started making much more use of PIA.

Their costs when they were doing all the digging themselves were, well, enormous.

They ruined plenty of pavements in Northamptonshire villages with all that digging.

anything