Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Single threaded issues? BT wholesale+AA combo.  (Read 2967 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Single threaded issues? BT wholesale+AA combo.
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2022, 02:58:42 AM »

Those are all reasonable speeds, for reference wget from a linux shell was getting me a few hundred KB/sec, when I usually get close to line rate, so its not a case of been fussy trying to get 100%, they just are really broken.

Your not great speed to put into perspective is about 5 times my line rate and about 60 times as fast as what I got.  I would be totally satisfied with what you posted. :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2022, 03:23:00 AM »

Code: [Select]
wget -O /dev/null https://speedtest.aa.net.uk/1GB.zip
--2022-10-24 03:21:07--  https://speedtest.aa.net.uk/1GB.zip
Resolving speedtest.aa.net.uk (speedtest.aa.net.uk)... 90.155.62.7, 2001:8b0:0:62::7
Connecting to speedtest.aa.net.uk (speedtest.aa.net.uk)|90.155.62.7|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1073741824 (1.0G) [application/zip]
Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

/dev/null                                          100%[================================================================================================================>]   1.00G   104MB/s    in 9.9s   

2022-10-24 03:21:17 (104 MB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [1073741824/1073741824]
Code: [Select]
wget -O /dev/null https://speed.hetzner.de/1GB.bin
--2022-10-24 03:21:39--  https://speed.hetzner.de/1GB.bin
Resolving speed.hetzner.de (speed.hetzner.de)... 88.198.248.254, 2a01:4f8:0:59ed::2
Connecting to speed.hetzner.de (speed.hetzner.de)|88.198.248.254|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1048576000 (1000M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

/dev/null                                          100%[================================================================================================================>]   1000M  74.0MB/s    in 16s     

2022-10-24 03:21:55 (63.1 MB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [1048576000/1048576000]

The latter the speed was still ramping up when the download finished, so I highly suspect it would have reached line rate.

Note, I too am using bbr congestion control.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 03:26:24 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2022, 09:03:18 AM »

Just a passing thought, what about MTU, has that been previously tweaked at all from default? Is it worth doing  couple of checks. Doesn't explain pack loss, but could affect performance due to fragmentation as your backhaul has changed.

https://support.aa.net.uk/MTU

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2022, 10:39:20 AM »

Those are all reasonable speeds, for reference wget from a linux shell was getting me a few hundred KB/sec, when I usually get close to line rate, so its not a case of been fussy trying to get 100%, they just are really broken.

Your not great speed to put into perspective is about 5 times my line rate and about 60 times as fast as what I got.  I would be totally satisfied with what you posted. :)

Indeed, I'm very happy with those speeds :). Getting a few hundred KB/sec though, that's very bad! Something's definitely broken.

I hope they resolve your issue soon.

Note, I too am using bbr congestion control.

You've just made me aware of something, the Linux system I did those tests on isn't currently using BBR. I wish Windows 10 supported BBR.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2022, 11:21:19 AM »

As it turns out burakkucat was 100% right, I was supposed to let a config download, having had another conversation with aaisp techs I am going to try and use this a bit today and I just tested an aaisp speedtest file and got almost line rate for the first time in days, and I think is currently no loss, so now going to use it for a bit, and keep monitoring things.

hetzner test files also pegged at line rate right now single threaded.

craigski currently mtu is at 1492.

A note on the congestion control when I flipped it, I did it on the sending server.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 11:24:52 AM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2022, 11:21:58 AM »

BT engineer came, agreed with me the pair is pretty much perfect, he was a geek and even started looking for little things on hlog etc for something he can fix.

He has agreed to check if everything is ok at the exchange at my suggestion, no loose connection there or anything like that.

He stayed and watched the line for 20 minutes or so, one CRC error,1 errored second.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2022, 02:02:57 PM »

A note on the congestion control when I flipped it, I did it on the sending server.

Interesting thing there is I tried doing iperf3 to my Mac Mini running Asahi Linux with cubic with Gigabit NIC, from my main PC with bbr enabled on 10Gbit, and it throttled at 843Mbit.  Enabling bbr at both ends it jumped to 939Mbit.

Sending peaked at 943Mbit with a LOT more retries but interestingly bbr vs cubic on the server side seemed to make no real difference.  So I I think bbr is more relevant to the sending side.  I vaguely remember this being the thing, that its mainly a benefit for servers.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 02:08:40 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2022, 05:45:53 PM »

This hasnt been confirmed by AAISP, but I think it may have been a GEA issue in the exchange looking at the logs, I just did a quick check now using aaisp and hetzner hosted speedtest files and they do now saturate the line single threaded.  Line seems to still have specks of packet loss during evenings but currently looking a lot better.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2022, 03:44:08 AM »

I have experienced the ‘specks of packet loss’ thing and sometimes it really really kills downstream performance. Some server in the internet not using BBR then, methinks. Either that or the actual packet loss is rather worse than I can see in the clueless graphs from the dripping blood specks. Perhaps you can only see a speck given the low res of the graphs when there is a short-ish period of sustained packet loss or a cluster of non adjacent loss events. On Saturday I was getting diabolical speed tester results in both directions and experiencing really poor downstream performance in Zoom. I couldn’t work it out. Started hunting for a rogue background downloading process on some machine or other, couldn’t see such associated traffic in the clueless graphs though. So I suddenly thought about the specks I could see for my line 2. I forced a resynch of line 2 and fixed the problem!

All a bit mysterious, but to sum up: the theory is that there was line 2 packet loss, almost invisible, presumably downstream, and it would have to be the case that even a small amount was having a really bad effect on eg TCP without BBR. By the way, my available line 2 modem stats did not help much as the time periods covered were either too recent and short, or way too long, so I could not tell when any reported ES or CRC errors were. The problem’s perceived effects were always present, not coming sporadically, so the packet loss would have to be occurring at least at a low level all the time.

It would be nice to have a packet loss thrash tester program, looking for unnatural packet loss only, that is, and I would also need an easy mechanism if directing stuff to one line downstream or upstream. Downstream would require me to untick all the per-line tick boxes in clueless apart from the line under test. Upstream would require awkward messing around damaging my Firebrick’s config, with a backup, tweak and restore being needed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]