Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BBR and QUIC  (Read 1798 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
BBR and QUIC
« on: November 10, 2022, 02:16:03 PM »

I have read reports that have rather confused me about the use of BBR within QUIC. When/where is BBR used within QUIC ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: BBR and QUIC
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 11:45:13 PM »

Thank you:  :)  I have read some similar articles. I don’t have eg Chrome though and I wonder what eg Chrome uses - what current deployments use. I read somewhere that iPadOS 16.1 Safari should be using QUIC by default now. I need to check this by looking at some traffic analysis data but of course that won’t tell me about congestion control logic.

I have seen some impressive results for the throughput performance of BBR under mild but significant packet loss. What is the RTT / bufferbloat experience like ?

A point occurs to me: do we now stop calling this logic module ‘congestion control’? Is it now ‘loss reaction logic’ or something?The older term was about the assumptions made in interpreting a particular traffic situation.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 11:54:09 PM »

A point occurs to me: do we now stop calling this logic module ‘congestion control’? Is it now ‘loss reaction logic’ or something? The older term was about the assumptions made in interpreting a particular traffic situation.

An interesting question. I suspect I will still continue to think in terms of congestion control for the foreseeable future!  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 01:13:49 AM »

In my DSL testing (with stable base line RTT) BBR slows down just before the connection is saturated (provided its single threaded), so would less likely cause buffer bloat.  They have succeeded in making it resistant to packet loss as well as reducing the over buffering problem.

However I assume if you start piling in the threads buffer bloat would still be a problem (but not tested).

So e.g. if I download a file using cubic, we assume line is healthy no background packet loss, throughput graph auto sizes.  I would see flatline max speed. (in reality it will be see sawing up and down).  Then I download the same file again on BBR with same max scale on graph, the throughput will be slightly below max, there will be a visible but very small unutilised part of the connection.  So from a QoS perspective it should be better.

But in unideal conditions for cubic, BBR would outperform it, and then more likely have buffer bloat? As more data sent down the pipe.

I am pretty sure that chrome is also using QUIC now out of the box.

Interesting that litespeed blog page they discovered the same as when I was diagnosing my VDSL issues.

anything