Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: DLM IS crippling my speed how can I get it switched off ?  (Read 3364 times)

DaveG6HNI

DLM IS crippling my speed how can I get it switched off ?
« on: November 03, 2022, 09:03:05 PM »

Hi, I'm new hear, so apologies if I'm not explaining my issues properly.
I have had FTTC for about 12 years, PN 40/10. For most of the first 9 years I had a relatively steady 35Mbps. I then purchased a Fritzbox 7590 router and for the next 9 months my DL speed increased to 37Mbps, DSLAM was 40Mbps, syncing at 39.99Mbps, Max obtainable 44Mbps and SNR 7dB.
Then over the next few weeks DSLAM reduced in steps down to 28.4Mbps. Plusnet requested an Openreach engineer who checked the line but could not find a fault. DSLAM was reset back to 40 Mbps, but slowly dropped down again over the next 2 months. This process has been repeated every few months for the last 2 years ! BT have lift & shifted me to different ports, but the same thing happens and some ports have had other issues. I am currently on what appears to be a good port according to my stats, but it is still dropping every few weeks :(
I signed up for a whitebox with SamKnows a while ago and that tells me my packet loss currently is 0.058% although I think it used to be even lower. My Fritzbox stats usually show very few CRC errors or error seconds, but once every couple of weeks they increase significantly for a few hours before returning to a low level, but this I believe causes DLM to reduce my DSLAM shortly after and before DLM decides to increase DSLAM it happens again, hence the slow reduction in speed.
If I could get DLM disabled, then my line would function perfectly for 99% of the time. When the errors do increase, I can't at the time even notice the issue, but DLM means my speed just gets slower and slower until I am forced to get Plusnet to reset it.
Any help or suggestions welcome

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: DLM IS crippling my speed how can I get it switched off ?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 09:36:14 PM »

Hi, I'm new hear, so apologies if I'm not explaining my issues properly.

Welcome to the kitz forum.  :)

If I could get DLM disabled,

That is not possible. The DLM is mandatory process for all (FTTC / VDSL2) provisioned circuits.

Please take a look at Section 2.2.1 of the Openreach SIN 498
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 07:46:10 AM »

Can you post your line stats please as reported by your modem.

sync speed, SNR margin, error rate (if possible).

You not necessarily banded but could be either crosstalk or other stability profiles such as interleaving.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 08:02:22 AM »

As already asked, if you could give us some numbers that may assist. If the large amounts of errors only occur every few weeks then that suggests some form of electrical interference is causing it and that may be hard to track down.
This sounds like a situation where DSLstats could help in identifying the extent of the errors and exactly when they are are occurring but you may need to change routers to use it as I'm not sure it's compatible with the Fritz one you currently have.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

DaveG6HNI

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 11:32:22 AM »

Thanks for the reply, I thought I did include the router's info, but here are some screenshots from my router and from SamKnows, I did have a 1 second power cut last night which reset my router, plus a link to my Thinkbroadband graph...
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/9924157ce3456d4c1011c66b7290a6c3818a65bf-04-11-2022

DaveG6HNI

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 11:34:23 AM »

I can only attach 3 images so here are the second 3
I have two years' worth of these screenshots if you want to see more.
I too thought it was external as I have not been able to link an appliance, boiler, oven, etc to the issues.
I have no internal wiring and the recently replaced feed from the pole connects directly into a new master socket.
I am 800 m from my cabinet, which one BT Eng said was the issue, but as mentioned for 10 years I had no issues except for 2 line faults that were quickly corrected. It is only the last 2 yrs that my max DSLAM keeps reducing in steps until I get PN to reset it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 11:45:36 AM by DaveG6HNI »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 11:59:50 AM »

Do you know the reasons for those disconnections logged by samknows?

DaveG6HNI

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 12:50:43 PM »

HI, the last two were the power cut, one the coincides with the speed drop was DLM reducing my max DSLAM from 40 to 35, the one last Friday was I think when DSLAM was reset to 40, but no idea what caused the one on Monday...

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2022, 08:31:55 PM »

Is there no FTTP in your location ?.

Dave G6HNI Are you a Radio Ham ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2022, 09:46:54 PM »

I think that’s a fair conclusion. If you remove one “s” from my user name you get a similar result  :P
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Iain

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2022, 09:55:15 PM »

I wonder what all the traffic is that is showing on the TTB graph? It seems constant 24 hours a day.
If you turn off your connected devices until you work it out, then start your tests again.

First thing I would try is the Samknows box, had it years ago, but found it generated 3 or 4 times more traffic than the rest of my devices put together.

DaveG6HNI

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2022, 12:15:27 PM »

Hi everyone 3 or 4 questions to answer here...
1. No FTTP or I would have already upgraded :)
2. Yes I am a Radio Ham
3. I too wonder about the apparent constant traffic, but it does not seem to rack up any data usage ?
I have a few CCTV cameras, plus the SK Whitebox, plus ThinkBB all on 24/7 and have always put it down to them...

Interestingly yesterday's TBB trace shows some low level interference up until about 1am when it stopped, checking my SK stats, some packet loss at around midnight ?
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7412e2470be7328dcbfdbea2f0bf274aaa7dd933-06-11-2022

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2022, 12:23:05 PM »

What’s different between 0000 and 0400 where the traffic is much reduced. Also noteworthy is the low latency confirmation interleave is not on the line.

DaveG6HNI

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2022, 01:34:42 PM »

I do not know why sometimes it all goes quiet, although it often happens just after a resync... ?
AFAIK No interleaving, but can't see where to find it in router settings.
I've always had low latency ?

g3uiss

• Kitizen
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2022, 02:27:02 PM »

You can’t set interleave it’s done automatically if the DLM thinks you need it, but that’s unlikely in your case with g.INP.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4