Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Overhead fibre install where pole is fed by buried cable  (Read 2035 times)

FastShow

• Just arrived
Overhead fibre install where pole is fed by buried cable
« on: November 01, 2022, 02:29:30 PM »

OpenReach are currently rolling out fibre on the streets surrounding my road via overhead feeds using existing poles. I live down a private road which has two telegraph poles which feed all the houses currently on the road, but there is no ducting (or drains or anything else) due to the nature of the road. As far as I can tell, the cables feeding the two poles are buried in directly in the ground as there is no nearby ducting access on the road at all.

Does anyone know the standard approach in cases like this? Will they dig up the road to fit ducting or is there some other way they can solve it in cases like this?

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Overhead fibre install where pole is fed by buried cable
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2022, 03:52:40 PM »

Are you sure the existing copper cables aren't fed from the DP to the poles overhead? If so, that is the way fibre will be delivered.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 04:10:42 PM »

They could install ducting, direct bury the fibre, use new/additional poles to reach you or they may decide your pole is too expensive to reach and outside the projects budget.
Hopefully for you it isn't the latter.

Does the Openreach checker show your address as being part of their build plans?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

FastShow

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 04:21:08 PM »

Are you sure the existing copper cables aren't fed from the DP to the poles overhead? If so, that is the way fibre will be delivered.

There's a cable that definitely feeds up from the ground and runs up the side of the pole so I'm assuming that's how it's fed.

Does the Openreach checker show your address as being part of their build plans?

I'm in a big grey blob that says "To be built between April 2021 and December 2026", is there an address level checker in addition to the one at: https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband

They are literally doing the next nearest poles to my house now but they are all fed from underground ducts so I was just wondering what happens for poles that are exceptions to the norm.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 04:26:55 PM »

is there an address level checker in addition to the one at: https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband

Yes.

https://www.openreach.com/

Enter your postcode then select your address from the drop down menu.
Quite often it's just a message saying they are building full fibre in your area. In the past it would specifically tell you if you're address was in their plans.
It might tell you they have no plans for you yet.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 04:30:46 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

FastShow

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 04:36:09 PM »

Ah right, yeah that just says this:

But it says exactly the same thing for the houses that have already had their poles rigged for fibre so not sure that helps?

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 04:47:51 PM »

I’m afraid it’s a dark art trying to find if and when ! They started near me in mid 2021, everything got finished except 6 houses. They got enabled this March. Never was anything clear on any web site
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

DerisionEQ

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 01:08:53 AM »

I live in an "unadopted" road and my BT pole is in my neighbours garden. I am in a cul-de-sac and what BT did (rather than digging to the pole near me) was to install a new pole at the top of the cul-de-sac so they could string fibre from the nearest pole on the main road to the pole in my neighbours garden.

Walking around my local area, it appears to me that they will bring the fibre up onto a pole which has a convenient duct nearby, then string it from pole to pole, installing additional poles if required (e.g. if they don't have line of sight to the next pole (because of trees or perhaps distance between poles etc.).

A few months before the new pole was installed, BT posted a notice on a lamp post near to the location of the new pole stating their intentions.

There are only 6 houses in my cul-de-sac, so I imagine it will be a few years before they recover the cost of installing that new pole :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 01:48:25 AM by DerisionEQ »