Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any suggestions for a good / low cost 4G LTE Router?  (Read 3450 times)

cancunia

Any suggestions for a good / low cost 4G LTE Router?
« on: October 26, 2022, 04:09:48 PM »

I'm thinking about moving on from my slow-ish 3-4Mbps Long Line ADSL to something a bit faster on 4G. Following some tests I did on  an older 4G router, I think I'm unlikely to get much more than 28Mbps down but as that's way better than what I have now  it may be worth a bit more investigation.
In order to get a good data rate & build in a bit of future proofing, I'm thinking about something in the Cat4/5 area as a minimum.

Suggestions welcome;
Thanks

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Any suggestions for a good / low cost 4G LTE Router?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 11:38:28 AM »

I googled for this recently, most that were on the generic "best mobile broadband routers" pages seemed to have one or two ethernet ports.  I was trying to find something designed to be a modem in bridge mode to use alongside a high end firewall device.

My search stopped though when I noticed EE seems to have no non carrier grade NAT options.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 04:29:09 PM »

Category 4 I think is limited to about 70Mbit - I built one with a pcengines pfSense box with a 4G LTE modem in it and it topped out at that.

AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

cancunia

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2022, 05:25:54 PM »

Category 4 I think is limited to about 70Mbit - I built one with a pcengines pfSense box with a 4G LTE modem in it and it topped out at that.

Maybe my mistake, I got the info from the following, but could have misinterpreted..
https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/4glte/lte-ue-category-class-definitions/

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 06:44:54 PM »

CAT4 doesn't support Carrier aggregation.
CAT6 is the minimum for carrier aggregation.
Even if you only have a single mast, being able to connect to two frequency bands even if they are the same frequency will provide a faster service.

Are you looking for an indoor or outdoor modem?

cancunia

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 08:50:54 AM »

CAT4 doesn't support Carrier aggregation.
CAT6 is the minimum for carrier aggregation.
Even if you only have a single mast, being able to connect to two frequency bands even if they are the same frequency will provide a faster service.

Are you looking for an indoor or outdoor modem?

Thanks for the info, although I'm fairly sure that Three is only on band 20 where I live, others may have more so it's a good point. As I got a good enough speed indoors, I'm thinking about a self contained indoor router / modem.

anything