Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Thinking over options  (Read 5475 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Thinking over options
« on: October 26, 2022, 01:22:03 PM »

I will be honest guys, I feel a little bit down about whats going on round here at the moment, I live within a mile of a city centre in a highly populated area and still no FTTP here.  Cityfibre confirmed they not activating any new postcodes in the entire city for at least another 9 months and wouldnt tell me why, but did say my area will be in the first batch when they resume.

On the other side of the park CF has been active for a while, extremely close.  They came from that direction then just u turned.

There is a provider called glide which seems to be a provider that works with owners of large rental estates, I see they have enabled new apartments built right in the city centre area.

Hyperoptic shoved a leaflet through my door inviting me to register, which I did.  But that resulted in a "not yet" on their checker with nothing else mentioned.

Grain did works on streets on other side of my main road, although have yet to activate those properties (similar issues to CF) and no plans for my address.

I feel paying £60 (could drop to £50 by regrading) for 80mbit FTTC is just so outdated and bad value now, even if I Was paying £30-40 on a cheaper provider it wouldnt make me feel much better, so I feel I am now hovering close to VM's rolling contract 350mbit service circa £50 month and just praying its usable in the evenings, combining that with a VPN for static IP ACL's and a HE tunnel for IPv6.  I noticed EE mobile broadband feels like an upgrade which shows how far down fixed line broadband has fallen compared to wireless technologies.  (FTTP only counts when its available).  Latest I hear on VM their new better superhub still not been rolled out en masse.

So thats my thought process at the moment, I would say the chance currently is better than 50/50 for me to give VM another shot.

I am of course have been looking to move for over a year now as well, and have been preparing for it, so another reason for the rolling contract.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 01:24:18 PM by Chrysalis »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Thinking over options
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 02:17:43 PM »

£60 per month is way to much to be paying for a FTTC connection in my opinion. I'm paying less than that for FTTC, 2 x mobile SIM contracts and a landline calling package, and that's with BT on a rural exchange where no cheap deals are available.
Where I live VM isn't an option and neither is using mobile data as the signal is too poor - barely manages indoor speech and that's not on all networks - so it's FTTC or nothing really. Admittedly I don't have a need for fixed IP or any other enhancements so the standard BT offering does just fine.
Would I like more speed, you bet I would but it's not available and in all honesty my 42/7 sync does everything I require of it.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 03:04:34 PM »

That really is bad, that's Gigabit fibre prices.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 07:41:06 PM »

I recently moved back to VM, a couple of months ago. Signed up for 500Mb at £38 a month plus a £100 bill credit, through one of the comparison sites. Moved my SIM over to O2 and then had Volt applied which upped the broadband to Gig1 and tbh, so far it's been absolutely fine. Used to be awful in this area but work has been done since I was last with them and since I briefly tried them back in November last year. Area has a DOCSIS 3.1 downstream and upstream channel (the 3.1 upstream channel being provided around a month ago, after scheduled maintenance). Was given a Hub 4 at sign up which I put straight into modem mode. Received a Hub 5 last week after filling in a form, which unfortunately, the link doesn't work anymore. Hub 5 is also in modem mode. Get the full speed, up to the limitations of the Gigabit home network, whenever I've tried a speedtest. Worth trying as you get the 14 day cooling off period.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 08:50:32 AM »

Seems a pretty good deal jon, i cant find anything near the price you paying for what you get, especially gig1 which is almost £100 month.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2022, 09:18:44 AM »

Seems a pretty good deal jon, i cant find anything near the price you paying for what you get, ...

Appears to be the 'Volt Fibre Broadband + Phone' deal on this page - https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-only
How I wish I could access such things  :(

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2022, 09:49:55 AM »

If you’re feeling down, you can always think about my lines!  ???

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2022, 09:57:52 AM »

Yes, I shouldn't really complain as what I have serves my needs and is certainly far better than your situation @Weaver. Still doesn't stop me from wanting something better even though I know it's not available to me.  :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2022, 10:16:31 AM »

£64 for gig1 on VM website, £41 over phone.

Rest matched website.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2022, 10:32:23 AM »

£41 sounds perfectly reasonable as long as the contract terms aren't too onerous.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2022, 10:45:20 AM »

They doing some serious subsidising to push sims out for O2, the £41 includes a £12 going to O2.  Whilst the £64 is without O2, so £64 going to VM for normal gig1, and £29 going to VM for gig1 offer with O2.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 10:47:25 AM by Chrysalis »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2022, 10:55:22 AM »

They doing some serious subsidising to push sims out for O2, the £41 includes a £12 going to O2.  Whilst the £64 is without O2, so £64 going to VM for normal gig1, and £29 going to VM for gig1 offer with O2.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. Obviously you'll have to renegotiate once the offer period expires, but that sees to be the way these things work unfortunately nowadays.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2022, 01:03:36 PM »

EE will do for me until 2024, £12 a month for unlimited data with a 600GB FUP.
Sim card is currently in a CAT12 router with no issues.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2022, 04:44:46 PM »

I'm paying out close to £100 a month for 2 x FTTC yielding about 120Mbps (ish)...

That's a lot of money but as I have my wife working from home 80% of a week and myself 50% of a week (and I am an incessant tinkerer) - I don't need 2 x connections, but it's nice to play with :)

I do get what you mean, but FTTP will come, one day.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2022, 07:00:52 PM »

I'm surprised you haven't taken to training up an elite squad of pigeons... :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4