Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Single threaded issues? BT wholesale+AA combo.  (Read 2969 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Single threaded issues? BT wholesale+AA combo.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2022, 12:20:36 PM »

@bogof I understand your point. It all depends on exactly what it is that you’re trying to measure, and most people say one thing but do another, the first being (1) ‘measure my line’ and the second being (2) ‘measure the performance of two TCP software implementations and the path between them’ and that isn’t the same as ‘my line’ at all.

I hear what Chrys says, and he makes his needs clear to me so I now understand properly. He specifically wants to investigate (2), not (1) which is what I had initially thought because I wasn’t listening to him properly. :-[

With genuine respect bogof, I do want to know (1), so hence the UDP test that has no interactions with TCP implementations’ characteristics, and in fact there are of course transport protocols other than TCP. I might be using QUIC or some application layer protocol over UDP for some particular case. My lines remain what they are though, despite differing choices of software and protocols.

I don’t understand why speedtester authors don’t give users a choice depending on what they want to measure. For (1), a carefully designed UDP based testing protocol that ramps up the rate until the pipe is just full, so we get a measurement of the bottleneck, which should be your line, providing the test server isn’t overloaded and I’ve seen some servers that have a reservation system to prevent that from happening. And seeing as what you want, ie (2), is a very reasonable and important request, we need a ‘real-world scenario’ test of what a user might expect in terms of payload throughput using some version of IP 4 or 6, and TCP with or without timestamps, so we do use TCP, and have four possible TCP options.

Chrys makes a good point about bonding sensitivity. I suspect that the Firebrick doesn’t behave in quite as much of a remote-end TCP-friendly fashion when we’re doing upstream tests because I happen to have ill-matched upstream speeds on my lines. Currently one line is about 650 kbps and another is only 350 kbps upstream. An appropriately designed bonding handling system could be built though with a packet egress scheduler that ensures that there’s no packet reordering and that also makes remote-end TCP happy by giving stable arrival times so that RTT measurements don’t go all wrong and confuse TCP’s algorithms. The latter is probably why I don’t get such great upstream performance with TCP sometimes. abut the other odd thing is that the performance reported by speedtesters in upstream tests varies quite a lot from month to month. The variation can be occasionally even as large as total=1.0 Mbps to 1.6 Mbps, and that same software one month vs another month. I’ve posted a lot on these mysteries in the past so the interested reader might do a search for old threads.

In contrast, AA’s Firebricks handling downstream traffic splitting are highly efficient and very TCP-friendly even though my lines are not perfectly matched. Mind you, when there are no faults, the lines’ downstream sync rates are usually reasonably closely matched. Right now my line 2 is dead and my line 4 is getting sicker by the day, both with hollow curve disease, line 4 giving about 2.4 Mbps downstream sync rate, while line 3, my new line, manages an incredible downstream 3.04 Mbps. Taking away all known overheads and translating that into IPv6 TCP performance, a little arithmetic shows that we get TCP payload throughput of about 84% of sync rate.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 12:36:44 PM by Weaver »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2022, 07:54:03 PM »

Test router is here.

You guys can see on my tbb graph in my sig the packet loss has now grown to massive proportions, thats definitely the chief concern, so the single threaded stuff will be on the backburner with AAISP until thats resolved.  Although it wouldnt surprise me if the two things are linked but we wont know until then.

I had to flip EE back to tier 1 in pfsense to make this post, the loss is so bad now.

The modem of course is still moving merrily along with all of its metrics normal, no SNR change, no burst of errors.......

Except one thing, I didnt check before, bitswapping activity, there appears to be an increase of activity when the packet loss is at its worst however the timing is not exactly the same but close enough that I think its a link.

I did have another theory as well, if its possible for ethernet cables to get interference, then the cable between pfsense and the modem could be picking up the errors, that cable is of course bypassed when using EE which is a usb ethernet device on pfsense.

I will have the test router plugged in this evening.

Weaver - I forgot youtube has moved to QUIC so thats a good point.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 08:15:07 PM by Chrysalis »

underzone

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2022, 09:07:33 PM »

Blimey Chris, that looks bad atm: https://team-rebellion.net/Chris/connection.htm

That is what Weaver descriptively calls 'dripping blood'   :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2022, 09:40:24 PM »

Test router is on, I expect I am in the middle of a packet loss burst as single threaded aaisp was so slow I couldnt differentiate it from idle traffic, and the multi threaded speedtester was about 3mbps which I aborted.

I am seeing if internet pings are unblocked for monitoring, then I will probably need to leave this plugged in isolated so I can carry on using EE over the weekend for my own use.

Difficult posting and editing this, but also to add since this is not in bridge mode and am now using a combined router, the ethernet cable is no longer carrying the PPP traffic.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 09:43:57 PM by Chrysalis »

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2022, 09:54:59 PM »

Wow, looking at that, I'm never complaining about my connection again... lol.
...Who am I kidding! :) 

Anyway, it looks properly broken, that can't be anything other than a fault that just needs fixing, surely...

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2022, 09:57:00 PM »

Blimey Chris, that looks bad atm: https://team-rebellion.net/Chris/connection.htm

That is what Weaver descriptively calls 'dripping blood'   :)

Yeah its pretty bad.

Also ran a GEA test last night right when was about 60% loss, and its all green and good.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 10:41:18 PM by Chrysalis »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2022, 10:50:59 PM »

Test router is here.

I'm interested to know what they have provided. One of their FB2900s?

You guys can see on my tbb graph in my sig the packet loss has now grown to massive proportions, thats definitely the chief concern, so the single threaded stuff will be on the backburner with AAISP until thats resolved.

Yuck. There's definitely something wrong, somewhere.

I had to flip EE back to tier 1 in pfsense to make this post, the loss is so bad now.

That's not surprising, having viewed your statistics.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2022, 10:54:54 PM »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2022, 12:08:02 AM »

Thank you. I wonder if they have installed their own configuration file onto it.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2022, 12:13:41 AM »

Thank you. I wonder if they have installed their own configuration file onto it.

No worries.  They supplied a label with passwords which indicated it was preconfigured, but I had to login with the manufacturer default password to manually configure the PPP, so not sure.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2022, 02:04:37 AM »

I had a look at the A&A support page for the device. Apparently they expect it to be connected to the incoming line, as a combined modem/router, and then it would be auto-configured via TR069.

So turning off TR069 and entering the PPPoE credentials would appear to be the minimum requirements.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2022, 09:29:45 AM »

I had a look at the A&A support page for the device. Apparently they expect it to be connected to the incoming line, as a combined modem/router, and then it would be auto-configured via TR069.

So turning off TR069 and entering the PPPoE credentials would appear to be the minimum requirements.

Well what I originally did was just plug it in, and was hoping it would fire up so I wouldnt have to login to it.

It synced fine, but the internet light kept flashing amber again and again probably for 15 minutes or so before I caved and decided to configure it. :(

It is connected directly combined.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2022, 04:21:23 PM »

It is connected directly combined.

Right, I see. So currently it is taking the place of two separate units, the Billion (in bridge mode) and the pFsense firewall/router. The problem, as I see it, in doing it that way is that two separate items have been replaced by one. In other words an unscientific experiment is be conducted.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2022, 05:42:38 PM »

Right, I see. So currently it is taking the place of two separate units, the Billion (in bridge mode) and the pFsense firewall/router. The problem, as I see it, in doing it that way is that two separate items have been replaced by one. In other words an unscientific experiment is be conducted.

It is what they requested, but also its probably good I think as it isolates it more, no longer going over a Ethernet cable before the PPP terminates.  I think they want to be sure its not my equipment.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 05:46:21 PM by Chrysalis »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2022, 12:01:29 AM »

I'm a little surprised at AA's initial response to your problem but hopefully they'll resolve it soon. I just looked at the TBB graph, wow that's a lot of red. Horrifying! :o

Anyway... I'm not sure if it's entirely useful as I'm not on Openreach's infrastructure, but I thought I'd try some similar speed tests on my own connection (Gigabit FTTP on Lightning Fibre). My traffic largely goes through Mythic Beasts and a few other upstreams as I have BGP sessions via GRE tunnels, because I have my own IP addresses.

Code: [Select]
wget -O /dev/null https://speedtest.aa.net.uk/1GB.zip
--2022-10-23 22:34:25--  https://speedtest.aa.net.uk/1GB.zip
Resolving speedtest.aa.net.uk (speedtest.aa.net.uk)... 2001:8b0:0:62::7, 90.155.62.7
Connecting to speedtest.aa.net.uk (speedtest.aa.net.uk)|2001:8b0:0:62::7|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1073741824 (1.0G) [application/zip]
Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

/dev/null                     100%[==============================================>]   1.00G   108MB/s    in 9.5s

wget -O /dev/null http://ipv6.download.thinkbroadband.com/1GB.zip
--2022-10-23 22:42:12--  http://ipv6.download.thinkbroadband.com/1GB.zip
Resolving ipv6.download.thinkbroadband.com (ipv6.download.thinkbroadband.com)... 2a02:68:1:7::1
Connecting to ipv6.download.thinkbroadband.com (ipv6.download.thinkbroadband.com)|2a02:68:1:7::1|:80... connected.
Length: 1073741824 (1.0G) [application/zip]

/dev/null                     100%[==============================================>]   1.00G   103MB/s    in 10s

wget -O /dev/null https://speed.hetzner.de/1GB.bin
--2022-10-23 22:45:43--  https://speed.hetzner.de/1GB.bin
Resolving speed.hetzner.de (speed.hetzner.de)... 2a01:4f8:0:59ed::2, 88.198.248.254
Connecting to speed.hetzner.de (speed.hetzner.de)|2a01:4f8:0:59ed::2|:443... connected.
Length: 1048576000 (1000M) [application/octet-stream]

/dev/null                     100%[==============================================>]   1000M  34.8MB/s    in 31s

I generally don't get a great speed with Hetzner's download test files anyway, occasionally I've seen it go up to around 60MB/sec for a brief time.

Also these were done in off-peak hours, so they might possibly be a little slower during peak hours.

I hope AAISP resolve your problem soon without too much fuss :fingers:.
Pages: 1 [2] 3