Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: corrupt windows, game and gigabit switch because of power failure  (Read 3818 times)

neil

• Reg Member

windows got corrupted because of power failure. The Gigabit switch was also acting weird, reflashed it with latest firmware and now it's working fine. And the 100GB game also got corrupted because download was interrupted.

So, my question is developers don't account for these things?  Maybe I am unlucky  :'(
VDSL FTTC 35/18

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: corrupt windows, game and gigabit switch because of power failure
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2022, 05:56:38 PM »

As I understand it, you have successfully managed to recover both hardware devices? So now you just need to restart a download of the game.

How often do experience power failures? If they are a fairly regular occurrences then perhaps you should consider investing in a combined power-conditioner and UPS. 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 06:16:54 PM »

As I understand it, you have successfully managed to recover both hardware devices? So now you just need to restart a download of the game.

How often do experience power failures? If they are a fairly regular occurrences then perhaps you should consider investing in a combined power-conditioner and UPS. 

power failures are a daily occurrence. From my topic headline, it feels like I got all errors at same time. But no, I noticed issues over a span of time and decided to post about it today.

Yes, I repaired windows by installing it again and keeping all settings and files. Switch is fine after reflashing the firmware. And the game is not fine. I get fatal errors during gameplay and it says scan and repair using game built in tool. But it is not able to fix it hundred percent. I keep getting fatal error during gameplay for different file everytime.
VDSL FTTC 35/18

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 06:55:49 PM »

. . . the game is not fine. I get fatal errors during gameplay and it says scan and repair using game built in tool. But it is not able to fix it hundred percent. I keep getting fatal error during gameplay for different file everytime.

That is unfortunate. Other than downloading a new copy, I'm not sure what else you could do.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 11:00:46 PM »

I'd want to try another copy as if it still happens I'd be concerned there was also a power surge that has somehow damaged the CPU or RAM.

Are other games okay?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 05:43:24 AM »

I'd want to try another copy as if it still happens I'd be concerned there was also a power surge that has somehow damaged the CPU or RAM.

Are other games okay?

Yes, other games are ok. It happened becuase game was downloading an update.
VDSL FTTC 35/18

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 10:33:52 AM »

Rather than reinstalling windows etc, use Macrium Reflect free https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?mo to make an image of your working Windows  :fingers:
Lots of help on this forum https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/id-Backup_Restore/

Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 11:12:23 AM »

Rather than reinstalling windows etc, use Macrium Reflect free https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?mo to make an image of your working Windows  :fingers:
Lots of help on this forum https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/id-Backup_Restore/

thanks
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2022, 01:12:14 PM »

Depends if there has been a big Windows update, then its often better installing the latest ISO rather than all the hassle of a ton of Windows Updates.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2022, 02:22:45 PM »

They do account for it.

NTFS is a journaled filesystem so things are written in order, you might lose data but you shouldnt be left with a unusable filesystem (which is far worse).

If you dont enable the ignore write flush option in device manager, sync write requests are honoured, and async will forcefully be flushed at max 5 seconds delay.

Filesystems like ZFS take it way way further, REFS is Microsoft's alternative to ZFS.

Ultimately though if you want some mitigation from it you need a UPS or storage hardware with battery backup and power capacitors.

As always as has been said already in this thread, in case the worst happens, do backups of important data and OS.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2022, 05:20:40 PM »

They do account for it.

NTFS is a journaled filesystem so things are written in order, you might lose data but you shouldnt be left with a unusable filesystem (which is far worse).

If you dont enable the ignore write flush option in device manager, sync write requests are honoured, and async will forcefully be flushed at max 5 seconds delay.

Filesystems like ZFS take it way way further, REFS is Microsoft's alternative to ZFS.

Ultimately though if you want some mitigation from it you need a UPS or storage hardware with battery backup and power capacitors.

As always as has been said already in this thread, in case the worst happens, do backups of important data and OS.
thank you for reply.

I have a generator as backup. But you need to go and start it after a power failure.
But I may buy a small UPS for network equipment.
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2022, 08:53:42 PM »

Sounds a good option, as at least you can set it to safely shut down if the UPS runs low and you aren't around to fire up the generator.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2022, 12:55:47 AM »

Definitely get a UPS and it has to be one with a USB shutdown notification interface so that it can tell Windows to shut down cleanly and commit all io operations leaving the filesystem in a consistent state. This can’t protect you though from bad apps that do not do the right thing about listening for and correctly handling shutdown notification event messages from Windows.

If an app want to close a file with it only half written, or not even bother to commit recent changes, then that’s just a design flaw, and it can’t easily be fixed from the outside by a bandaid. Rather you would need to submit a bug report about any file corruption to the developers.

As for interrupted downloads, the downloaded should be downloading to a temporary file and then rename the temp file to the real filename once all downloading is successfully complete. Ether that or check the part-downloaded file to determine the true length and check that the partial download is not corrupt, then if all is well, ask the download server for the remaining part later to save having to do the entire download from the beginning all again. Many web servers can do this partial download. If this isn’t supported or the part file is corrupt then it has to be deleted and it’s time to repeat the whole download from scratch. But since it should merely be a temp file, then there’s no great loss. A pre-existing file that was due to be overwritten, if there is such a thing, will still be there, so it should be as if nothing ever happened. Developers with a clue do not ever download to the real required filename for this exact reason - things might go wrong.

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2022, 03:49:45 PM »

Sounds a good option, as at least you can set it to safely shut down if the UPS runs low and you aren't around to fire up the generator.
Sometimes even the generator turns off, if I try to run my PC, because of low gas pressure. So, generator backup is only for fans and lights in the house.
Definitely get a UPS and it has to be one with a USB shutdown notification interface so that it can tell Windows to shut down cleanly and commit all io operations leaving the filesystem in a consistent state. This can’t protect you though from bad apps that do not do the right thing about listening for and correctly handling shutdown notification event messages from Windows.

If an app want to close a file with it only half written, or not even bother to commit recent changes, then that’s just a design flaw, and it can’t easily be fixed from the outside by a bandaid. Rather you would need to submit a bug report about any file corruption to the developers.

As for interrupted downloads, the downloaded should be downloading to a temporary file and then rename the temp file to the real filename once all downloading is successfully complete. Ether that or check the part-downloaded file to determine the true length and check that the partial download is not corrupt, then if all is well, ask the download server for the remaining part later to save having to do the entire download from the beginning all again. Many web servers can do this partial download. If this isn’t supported or the part file is corrupt then it has to be deleted and it’s time to repeat the whole download from scratch. But since it should merely be a temp file, then there’s no great loss. A pre-existing file that was due to be overwritten, if there is such a thing, will still be there, so it should be as if nothing ever happened. Developers with a clue do not ever download to the real required filename for this exact reason - things might go wrong.

I don't know why game servers don't use torrent way of downloading and uploading files? Files in many pieces with hash and if it is corrupt, that piece is downloaded again.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 04:08:24 PM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2022, 06:56:17 PM »

I don't know why game servers don't use torrent way of downloading and uploading files? Files in many pieces with hash and if it is corrupt, that piece is downloaded again.

If I recall correctly this was tried many years ago, not sure why it got phased out.  My guess would be its more resource intensive than just using a CDN so worked out costing more to run than just plain downloads.

anything