Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 4G Router MVNO SIM & VoWiFi passthrough  (Read 2165 times)

cancunia

4G Router MVNO SIM & VoWiFi passthrough
« on: October 06, 2022, 08:58:26 AM »

In addition to the speed tests that I did with various MVNO SIMS, I needed to test VoWiFi via the 4G router as the  signal on my phone is only usable in one room upstairs at home. My phone has a Vodafone PAYG e-SIM & an ID-Mobile physical SIM, both work with VoWiFi via the ADSL. Despite the high data speeds I could not get VoWiFi to work with either ID or VF on my phone with the Lyca SIM in the router. I tried all sorts of settings on the router and was about to give up when it occurred to me that maybe it was a restriction in the Lyca connection as Lyca do not support VoWiFi. Sure enough, when I put the ID-Mobile SIM in the router, I was able to make VoWiFi calls via the 4G router with the VF e-SIM in my phone.
This suggests to me that there's a block somewhere in the MVNO - MNO network preventing the VoWiFi connection which AFAIK is simply an IPSEC tunnel.

Any thoughts welcome.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: 4G Router MVNO SIM & VoWiFi passthrough
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 05:53:55 PM »

That's weird, as the only limitation of VoWIFI should be the phone and SIM package, it should be seen as normal traffic at the router.

I've never had the chance to try it myself as only have PAYG and O2 last I checked did not support it on PAYG, Three wont support it on handsets not bought from them, and VoIP is cheaper if you don't make a lot of calls anyway.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

cancunia

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 08:54:09 AM »

Yes, it's quite odd. I'm no expert with VoWiFI and am happy to be corrected but from what I've read, the VoWiFi IPSEC tunnel goes to an endpoint that has a common DNS naming structure for all carriers, with (AFAIK) the following format "epdg.epc.mnc***.mcc***.pub.3gppnetwork.org" the mcc & mnc being different for each carrier. So, I'm guessing that perhaps this name is wildcard blocked at the "epdg.epc" level.

I've just come across the following link, not read it yet but will do so later:
https://www.telecomtutorial.info/post/03-vowifi-epdg-aaa-and-architecture
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 08:57:44 AM by cancunia »

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 11:18:09 AM »

The only O2 mvno that has vowifi is sky because they have their own billing.

cancunia

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 02:08:05 PM »

The only O2 mvno that has vowifi is sky because they have their own billing.

A few others have added WiFi calling this year with varying degrees of supported handsets, for example Lebara, ASDA , Smarty & ID-Mobile. The only MVNO I've found that supports my Pixel 4 is ID-Mobile, you can probably guess how I know.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 03:59:26 PM »

A few others have added WiFi calling this year with varying degrees of supported handsets, for example Lebara, ASDA , Smarty & ID-Mobile. The only MVNO I've found that supports my Pixel 4 is ID-Mobile, you can probably guess how I know.

Lebara and ASDA are Vodafone MVNOs
Smarty and ID are Three MVNOs
The only O2 MVNO that supports WiFi Calling is Sky as they have their own billing system.
Giffgaff, Tesco and Lyca are O2 MVNOs that do not have WiFi calling due to being stuck with O2's PAYG billing system.

cancunia

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 04:05:29 PM »

Lebara and ASDA are Vodafone MVNOs
Smarty and ID are Three MVNOs
The only O2 MVNO that supports WiFi Calling is Sky as they have their own billing system.
Giffgaff, Tesco and Lyca are O2 MVNOs that do not have WiFi calling due to being stuck with O2's PAYG billing system.

Sorry, I missed the 'O2' in your original post.

anything