Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Slow/unreliable connection FTTC  (Read 1215 times)

marineio

Slow/unreliable connection FTTC
« on: October 03, 2022, 03:35:56 PM »

Hi all! Back again  :( This was us previously

Switched to Plusnet in January of this year, BT having been fine since the last post, maintaining decent speeds and reliability. Connection seemed to be fine (at least, nothing noticeable, no complaints about disconnects from my relatives), up until June/July, where it started to go a bit pants again, with poor reliability, frequent daily disconnects and slow speeds (although nowhere near as slow as last time). Around this time, a fibre company have been installing kit, cabinets, and also equipment on the poles.

We do use Powerline adapters (which were unplugged during last episodes troubleshooting at the suggestion of the forum), so I replaced the DSL lead with a much shorter lead as read that a longer lead coiled up at all can act as an antenna for these. I requested a DLM reset from PN then to see if it made a difference - it did not appear to, and their line test suggested internal equipment as the cause. I disconnected the powerline adapters again (permanently, found a decent wifi adapter that works! now in the other room), and moved the router as far away as I possibly could from the AV kit, using the longer DSL lead that came with the Hub 2, and have powered it from a different socket.

Popped the HG612 back into service so could see what was going on, thankfully PN have not disabled the WAN port on their Hub 2, so am using the HG612 in PPPOE bridge mode. The HG612 seemed to connect at a higher speed than the Hub 2 did, and has not yet disconnected from being put in service (seems a lot more resilient than the Hub 2, which would disconnect anywhere from 1-3 times per day), but the SNRM graphs look funky... The HG612 is well away from the AV kit, although the DSL lead still has to run behind it all (but a straight run, with no coiling), and powered from a different power socket.

I've even taken the step this time to turn off the CCTV NVR (all cameras POE powered), just in case they're somehow interfering, so will see over the next 12 hours or so if we continue to have the drastic changes seen on the graphs. The big graph was started at 3am, and previously monitored from my PC before I set up the Raspberry pi again to monitor it.

I need to do a full test with the AV kit completely off and unplugged (in standby, seen on the graph from approx 1am til probably 9am), the TV is coming up to 12-13 years old so electrically i'm thinking it might be fairly noisy, but otherwise i'm running out of ideas, aside from the possibility that something has been disturbed on the pole.

The cabinet appears to be Huawei looking at the cabinet itself (and the code lookup site).

Edit: my relatives have said Openreach were up the pole that their cable comes from this morning, plus further down the road. Maybe we're not the only ones with issues!

Code: [Select]
Stats
Stats recorded 03 Oct 2022 15:25:18

DSLAM type / SW version: BDCM:0xc190 (193.144) / v0xc190
Modem/router firmware:  AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
DSL mode:                VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime:                  21 hours 53 min 1 sec
Resyncs:                0 (since 03 Oct 2022 03:17:47)

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):  18.6 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not available on VDSL2
Connection speed (kbps): 42529 5014
SNR margin (dB):        6.6 4.9
Power (dBm):            12.5 6.4
Interleave depth:        8 1
INP:                    49.00 0
G.INP:                  Enabled Not enabled
Vectoring status:        5 (VECT_UNCONFIGURED)

RSCorr/RS (%):          0.0411 1.4347
RSUnCorr/RS (%):        0.0000 0.0000
ES/hour:                7.42 10.1
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 05:09:56 PM by marineio »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Slow/unreliable connection FTTC
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 10:32:40 PM »

From sight of those three plots it looks as if a poor joint has been disturbed.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

marineio

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 10:52:05 PM »

From sight of those three plots it looks as if a poor joint has been disturbed.  :(

One of my uneducated theories was also moisture getting in somewhere, as when it rains it seems to go pants (at the time with the poorest speed, 32mbps down, 3mbps up, it had just hammered down for 3-4 days). It hasn't rained for a bit and now seems to be improving slowly! And right at this moment in time there's the smoothest line I think i've ever seen! HG612 is also reporting max attainable speed is 53/9.6 which would have been right around what we had previously.

I'll see how the graph looks tomorrow and get on the heels of PN to see if they can test again and if still poor, arrange an engineer visit again. 12 months time, i'm almost certain they'll be on FTTP, but still in contract with PN til then!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 12:02:11 AM »

:yuck:  Yuck to that last image. A wet joint could certainly cause the effect you have described.

marineio

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 02:16:48 PM »

Hi,

The lines seemed pretty steady til this afternoon when it appeared to resync (stats state 1 resync), and we're now reconnected at 53/20, but lines still steady with no wild deviation. SNRM has dropped back to 6.1/6.6.

Am i correct in thinking that the higher the SNRM the better (for stability)?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 05:41:50 PM »

Am i correct in thinking that the higher the SNRM the better (for stability)?

Yes, correct but a higher target SNRM will result in a lower synchronisation speed. However, with a FTTC service, the target SNRM is set by the DLM process and according to Openreach SIN498, section "2.2 User Network Interface - General", sub-section "2.2.1 Dynamic Line Management", paragraph five --

Quote from: SIN498
Note: It is the DLM system that sets the line profile, and this should not be interfered
with by CPs/users setting rates, SNR margins etc. at the modem.

marineio

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2022, 10:10:01 PM »

Thanks for the info :)

It started raining this evening approx 8:30... guess what happened!  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 10:37:19 PM »

It started raining this evening approx 8:30... guess what happened!  ;D

I doubt that aliens landed and abducted your next door neighbour . . .  :D

It's interesting that there was that ~1dB trough in the US at around 1920 hours before the gradual decline (into the graphical pandemonium) about one hour later.