Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DSL modems ‘status’ values while a link is coming up  (Read 3178 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
DSL modems ‘status’ values while a link is coming up
« on: October 01, 2022, 06:11:50 PM »

I’ve seen a number of text string values for the ‘status’ field reported by my ZyXEL VGM 1312-B10A modem while the DSL link is coming up, and amongst them are

G.994 Started
G.922 Channel Analysis
Training

and two other values, which are: (i) finally "Showtime" of course, and initially, I think (ii) "Idle".

I have not given the correct capitalisation, I am unsure about the exact form of some of these and I feel sure that some more entries need to be added.

Could you help to give me some more status values for Broadcom modems? And to correct any errors in the above list, which has to be exactly correct. I’m pre-converting everything to lowercase, so case won’t matter, but apart from that everything else has to be precisely right, so that includes spacing, punctuation, any final punctuation. (I don’t think there is any.)

I’d like to include more ADSL, ADSL2/2+ and VDSL2 as well so don’t feel that your contributions are to be excluded just because you’re using VDSL2 while I am using ADSL2. That means you ‘new Burakkucat’, as opposed to ‘old Burakkucat’. ;)

I’m using a list of these ‘known’ values in my ‘wellness’ program. A program that talks to all my modems and analyses the overall wellness of their state. This is the part of the code that tries to work out exactly what’s going on if we do not get the usual detailed stats from a query to the modem, in which case the code tries to decide whether the DSL link is down, or coming up, in mid-resynch, or if the modem is booting up and maybe is therefore also bringing up the DSL link as part of that - not having much success with that. Also if there is a very weird response that is not understood, the code suggests to the user that here we might possibly have might the wrong model of modem, one that doesn’t speak Broadcom, or doesn’t speak Kitizen Johnson’s modified firmware in the modem, which is essential requirement for me in the application program.

If we could be sure to get the case of the status text exactly correct, then I wouldn’t have to pre-convert to lowercase; I could use an exact string comparison. I’m not sure if that’s a good idea though, in case Broadcom changes things in later modems.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 06:51:45 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: DSL modems ‘status’ values while a link is coming up
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2022, 07:11:33 PM »

I’d like to include more ADSL, ADSL2/2+ and VDSL2 as well so don’t feel that your contributions are to be excluded just because you’re using VDSL2 while I am using ADSL2. That means you ‘new Burakkucat’, as opposed to ‘old Burakkucat’. ;)

The grumpy, old, black cat was just about to plod out to the kitchen, to attend to his delayed evening meal, when he saw your new topic. An e-mail message has been sent to "The Weaving Shed" thus delaying the evening meal some more!  :eat:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: DSL modems ‘status’ values while a link is coming up
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 08:36:56 PM »

Thanks for the thoughtful email, my friend, which I have now read. Iam greping it right now with my favourite text editor Textastic.

I note that I need to watch out for any status messages from the modem that mention the DSL protocol type in use, so we have to carefully look out for occurrences of the following: G.992 or G.992.1/G.992.3/G.992.5 and then G.993 or G.993.2. What I might do is normalise them all to "G.99x" and match only against that. So the string that is being examined is reduced to that shorter form with a regex replace and only that one short-form match string is matched against the result, thus slashing the number of string equality match operations down to just one.

anything