Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FTTPOD showing 1000/20 since late August - likely date for native FTTP?  (Read 3915 times)

JOK

• Just arrived
Re: FTTPOD showing 1000/20 since late August - likely date for native FTTP?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2023, 04:59:59 PM »

So, in answer my original question.  FTTP finally became available to order at my property on 27th March (I have an installation booked for next week).   In my case, the first signs of activity by MJ Quinn (on behalf of Openreach) were in August.  Clearly, I was premature in getting my hopes up in September, thinking that FTTP could be imminent when the wholesale checker changed the FTTPOD speed to 1000/20.  A longer wait than I anticipated, but appreciate that I am lucky to now be able to order FTTP, when others will still likely be waiting a few years yet.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2023, 09:25:57 PM »

It takes time.

It's also a very frustrating wait depending on where you are. I got my hopes up in May/June last year when I heard Netomnia were building in my town, only to learn that their method of deployment is to either deploy where the houses already have ducts, or are served by poles. My house is neither, so no YouFibre for me. Despite it being streets away.

Openreach apparently have all the PON surveys done for my street, but I've recently spotted on BIDB that my street is now "unplanned" even though my whole exchange area is due for building this year. Could well be that all the planning is done but it'll be built last once all the other areas have been.

Currently waiting on an FTTPoD order (Survey was done last week, waiting for the result) - but I fear the price will be too much. We'll see.

Edit: Oh, I have recently spotted Virgin Media on BIDB installing cabinets not far from my area too - they've previously never rolled out anywhere near my part of town so this is an interesting development.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 09:45:31 PM by dee.jay »
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

JOK

• Just arrived
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2023, 09:58:22 PM »

Currently waiting on an FTTPoD order (Survey was done last week, waiting for the result) - but I fear the price will be too much. We'll see.

Hope that your FTTPoD quote does not turn out to be a crazy price, but as you fear, I doubt it will be cheap. 

More out of curiosity than anything, about 2 years ago, I obtained a desk based quote from Cerebus for FTTPoD. The price quoted was £9k; clearly in my case, holding out for native FTTP was worthwhile, as even if I had been willing to pay the £9k, I would likely have been waiting 12 months or so for the install, by which point, native FTTP would have been on its way anyway.  However, in my case, the property is fairly new (built 2007 & fully ducted), so I was reasonably confident that FTTP would turn up sooner than later & the thought of spending £9k was simply not justifiable (especially as I sync at the full 80/20 on FTTC)

In your shoes though…hmmm, tricky one….unducted increases the risk of being ‘missed out’ on a commercial rollout…so progressing enquiries about FTTPoD is understandable….but unducted also means likelihood of the quote for FTTPoD being on the high side (and even the cheapest FTTPoD is not cheap).  Plus, even if you did push the boat out and pay a crazy price, native FTTP might still have got to you one way or another anyway. 

Overall, I think FTTPoD for the regular guy on the street is just too much of a gamble, given the price and current pace of commercial rollouts.  Maybe if you won the lottery, it could be justified…but then again, if you won the lottery, you might be looking to move house anyway 😂

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2023, 10:05:09 PM »

I've had a desktop quote of £5K before from Cerberus too. Didn't go through with it at the time. I do believe they would reject an FTTPoD order if they know FTTP is going to be built, so I think the survey is indicative of a longer wait otherwise.

I am in the middle of extending my house, and we're happy to stay here for another 20 years, I've lived in this house 14 years (my wife longer), and can't see us moving. If the price is right (there are other factors involved with my order too that may help) then I will be going ahead. If not, then - Well what do I do then? Can't move house now outside of a lottery win. Starlink? Back to bonded connections? Wait it out? It'll be the last option probably.

The thing is, FTTP will eventually be everywhere, FTTPoD is just you paying to get yourself up the queue.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2023, 03:54:44 AM »

Yeah I think FTTPoD will be denied at this stage, even if they aren't sure you will be covered.  As until they have finished the area, they wont know if they have spare budget to include you or not.  At least I seem to recall this being mentioned before that costlier installs can be deferred to see how the budget goes for the rest of the area, though that might have been BDUK areas specifically?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]