Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Why is my IP Profile lower than expected?  (Read 12160 times)

jaypeecee

Re: Why is my IP Profile lower than expected?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 12:56:47 PM »

It's a shame you can't run RouterStats continuously - what problems does it cause for you?

b4dger,

I appear to have licked the problem with RouterStats and it's now running continuously. I've also set it up to capture graphs of Rx Noise and RX Sync constantly. I'll run it like that for a few days then check the graphs for any unusual behaviour. If all seems well, I'll then delete the graphs as they use up approx. 5MB hard disk space per day. Needless to say, my PC is powered up 24/7.

JPC

jaypeecee

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »

Hi Folks,

I thought it might be useful to post one of the graph captures from earlier today (see attached). Ignore the dips to 0dB at 12:32 and 13:02 - these are caused by RouterStats logging in to my router every 30 minutes and I'm not sure if I can change this. However, the other dips are for real. I must stress that Rx Noise is not always like the example attached. A lot of the time, it's pretty stable at 12dB +/- 1dB. What's interesting is that, despite these dips down to 2/3dB, the Netgear DG834G v3 does not lose connection!

Any comments?

JPC

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2008, 08:34:56 PM »

Hmm... some sort of impulse noise.

Fridge/Freezer? Some other sort of thermostat device?

Those dips will be why your target SNR has increased.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jaypeecee

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2008, 01:59:05 PM »

Hi Folks,

Me again! Let me first apologize to the forum users as this thread is dragging out a bit. However, I have made significant progress and I thought others may be interested in knowing how I've improved my ADSL connection. Basically, three days ago, I removed the ringer wires from the master socket (on my side, not the BT side) and also removed the same wires from the one and only extension socket that feeds my modem/router. On re-booting my router, Rx Sync was 2144 kbps. Today, Rx Sync is still 2144 kbps and my IP Profile has increased to 1750 kbps. Rx Noise normally fluctuates between 12dB and 15dB. Late at night, however, Rx Noise is all over the place but Rx Sync holds steady at 2144 kbps. I have attached a RouterStats plot from last night and would really appreciate any comments. I thought the large fluctuations might be caused by a neighbour who is using the same channel as me. I use some software called WirelessMon and I was able to see that my neighbour's router signal last night was similar to my own. However, his signal is the same this morning but the Rx Noise is back to its normal 12dB - 15dB.

All comments greatly appreciated.

JPC

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2008, 02:17:07 PM »

Your SNR fluctuations are now within a 8dB variance
Its certainly less than previous and the graph now looks a little bit more normal for a reasonably long line ... and at least the impulse spikes have disappeared which is something at least.

Obviously there is still some noise there, but those are now within normal parameters for some longer lines, and its good that your router is holding on to that 2144 sync and your IPprofile increasing.
Its still not perfect though because of the noise fluctuations, but is considerably better than previous.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

jaypeecee

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2008, 01:03:58 PM »

Hi Kitz,

Thanks for the reply. Can you explain why the overall shape of the most recent RouterStats graph is so different from my previous attachment? What I've noticed is that, during the hours of daylight, the Rx Noise graph is essentially a straight line with the occasional dip or peak. However, at night time, the graph shows the Rx Noise drifting apparently at random. The daytime graphs and night time graphs couldn't be more different. Why should this be the case? I don't believe it's related to the number of other active networks in the vicinity - WirelessMon shows an equal number of networks active during the day and at night. Indeed, like myself, it's clear that most people leave their routers on 24/7.

JPC

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2008, 04:05:36 PM »

That interference is nothing to do with wireless networks - they use much, much higher frequencies. It's quite normal for interference to increase at night for several reasons, and the last graph shows the sort of random variations that you're quite likely to get on a long line, from AM radio transmitters, street lights, and so on.
  Eric

jaypeecee

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2008, 03:13:08 PM »

roseway,

Many thanks for answering my question. I'll crawl back into my shell now!

JPC

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2008, 04:16:04 PM »

I didn't mean to shoot you down :-[
  Eric

jaypeecee

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2008, 04:37:14 PM »

roseway,

No worries - I didn't interpret your reply as shooting me down. Not at all. My reference to crawling back into my shell was just my way of saying that I'd exhausted my list of questions and, as such, I was winding up the thread that I had started. In hindsight, I could have worded it better.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all your help.

JPC

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2008, 01:01:32 PM »

yw JPC

Sorry that your line still isnt perfect.  It does still have a lot of fluctuations, and although the culprit of the nasty spikes now seems to have disappeared and things are looking a bit better.  The fluctuations you are now seeing are what would be considered in a normal fluctuation range by BT.
Tracking down the source of noise is very hard and I can understand that it is so frustrating not knowing what it is :/
-----
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything