Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why is my IP Profile lower than expected?  (Read 12123 times)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Why is my IP Profile lower than expected?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 01:00:07 PM »

at 135kbps you have a "throttle back" where some horrible noise issues has hit the line and the dlm has slowed things down to maintain a connection (this is with speeds of about 135 or 248 kbps as opposed to any other slower than expected speeds.

I know with a dsl fault reported on the line then any stable stats with no anomolies should clear the throttle back within 24 hours. It can some times be nudged manualy via bt wholesale. If your sure your stats are stable then try asking your isp to get BT wholesale to take a look at the throttle back, if it hasn't cleared with a stable connection.

It's like traveling on the motorway in a car when you feel some black ice, so although you can theoreticaly do 70mph you slow down to 15-20 until your confident the conditions are ok again as it's better than risking it and comming off the road completely

themadprofessor

• Just arrived
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 11:58:30 PM »

The Netgear range of routers are certainly above average in performance and I have a DG834PN. It outperforms a Thomson Speedtouch 585 that I bought from eBay as an experiment.

I have also got a DG834 v3 that I borrowed from my son after he went onto cable. I found it considerably less stable on my line than the DG834PN. I was finding that the noise on my line was causing continuous resyncs that just caused lower and lower speeds. Once I replaced it with the DG834PN, the speed remained constant at 7616Kbps.

I was converted!

Regarding your profile. I have been told that the software that controls the Profiles has been altered. If a one off event causes a resync to a low speed, and then after the event has passed the sync doubles or trebles, then allegedly the profile should recover in 75 minutes. However if the profile increases by 10% increments then the profile change can take up to ten days to take effect. Apparently the speed with which the profile changes also depends on how busy the supervisory software in that exchange is, and a change that should alter in 75 minutes can still take up to 3 days to take effect.

Now bear in mind that this is all hearsay as as far as I know none of these "facts" are actually published by BT or written down anywhere!!

Chris

jaypeecee

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 12:08:07 PM »

Hi Guys,

Well, I'm still waiting for something positive to happen. IP Profile is still 135 kbps and Rx Sync is still 1152 kbps - these figures have not changed for two days now. So, according to themadprofessor (Chris), I may still need to wait a good few days before I see any changes. That gives me a problem.

I ran RouterStats from 1300h to 1900h yesterday. Rx Noise was 12dB +/-1dB with the occasional peak up to 15dB. I've also had RouterStats running this morning for just over an hour and the picture was much the same. I have had no disconnects. The peaks up to 15dB are unusual in that I never used to see these when I had cause to use RouterStats about six months ago.

Ezzer, you suggest talking to my ISP to get BT Wholesale to take a look at the throttle back. The trouble is that my ISP is BT Broadband and that means contacting their overseas call centre, which fills me with dread. I know now that it will be a complete waste of time. Do you know of any way by which I can bypass their call centre and contact BT Wholesale directly?

Thanks for all your help.

JPC

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 12:17:18 PM »

Sorry the rules set by ofcom you as the end user have to go via your sp/isp. There's no direct contact with wholesale or openreach as your not a customer of theirs the sp/isp is.

I understand what your saying about the call center as I hear about it all day every working day (and belive it or not there are 2 isp's with a worse reputation)

jaypeecee

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 01:55:24 PM »

Thanks, Ezzer. Throughout this thread, there have been references to re-booting my router, which may cause my router to re-sync at a higher speed and, indeed, this appears to be the case. I presume that this is the only way of getting any router to re-sync i.e. by re-booting it. In other words, would it ever re-sync if the router was never re-booted? And then my next question is - in order to re-boot, a router has to be turned off and then turned on again. So, how long should it be turned off for or doesn't it matter? And, finally, I thought disconnects were bad news as far as ADSL is concerned - this can result in the all-important IP Profile being lowered. Doesn't that mean that it's unwise to re-boot a router? [In asking this, I'm considering a re-boot to be a type of disconnect].

Sorry to bombard everyone with all these questions but I'm really trying to get to grips with ADSL and, at the moment, I'm just a tad confused.

Thanks,

JPC

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 03:44:54 PM »

With many routers you can do a restart from the web interface, and I guess that this would be the best way to do it as it would be a proper shutdown and not an abrupt loss of power. However, if yours doesn't have the capability to do this, then power off / wait ten seconds / power on would do it. So long as you only do this infrequently it shouldn't affect your IP profile.

If you don't force a restart, then it will almost certainly happen eventually but it could take several weeks. There's no mechanism in ADSL Max for the router to automatically connect at a higher speed when conditions improve, so it will only happen as a result of a glitch or a degraded signal.
  Eric

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 07:31:42 PM »

Hi JPC,
Kitz's site contains all the info you need for you to understand how adslmax works - you just have to settle down and start reading  ;)

I've had my own go at explaining things here: www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/adslmax
If you haven't already, try your 'test' socket - behind the removable faceplate.
I improved my connection (line att. 51db) massively by switching from a Netgear (AR7 chipset version) to a Speedtouch.

Got to go, dinner's ready   :)

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 08:36:14 PM »

I understand what your saying about the call center as I hear about to all day every working day (and belive it or not there are 2 isp's with a worse reputation)

Yes I should know, I am with one of those ISPs. No names mentioned....Tiscali! :-\

Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2008, 12:19:22 PM »

I understand what your saying about the call center as I hear about to all day every working day (and belive it or not there are 2 isp's with a worse reputation)

Yes I should know, I am with one of those ISPs. No names mentioned....Tiscali! :-\

You may say that, I couldn't possibly comment.  :-X

jaypeecee

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »

Hi JPC,
Kitz's site contains all the info you need for you to understand how adslmax works - you just have to settle down and start reading  ;)

Over the last few months, I've read a great deal of Kitz' site and learned a lot about ADSL. Indeed, I think it's the best ADSL site on the web. It's just that I needed clarification on a few issues, which the good people on this forum have now provided.

Anyway, I can now report that things are improving. Today, my DSL connection rate is 1152 kbps (DOWN-STREAM) and 448 kbps (UP-STREAM). My IP Profile is a much more respectable 1000 kbps, actual throughput was 921 kbps. As I said at the outset, I used to see download speeds of 1900 kbps so I've got a way to go yet but at least I'm heading in the right direction!

Thanks to everyone for all your valuable help.

JPC

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 12:37:33 AM »

Hi JPC

It would appear that atm something is causing some instability on your line and causing it to sync at a very low speed, as others have mentioned unfortunately once things have cleared, then the router doesnt automatically sync back up again at the higher rate - it only adjusts downwards :/

It could be storms, or it could even be a fault developing on your line..  one thing that is clear though is that its the disconnections that have caused the DLM to increase your target SNR, which in turn is what now stops you from syncing at the previous higher rate.  If it was a one off then I'd normally suggest you contact your ISP and request that they ask BTw to reduce your target back down again.. but right now if I've understood correctly and youve had more than one low sync, then this would be a bit of a waste of time if it could do it again in the near future.  However if it was only one low sync, then its certain worthwhile approaching your ISP to ask.

Continuing to monitor with router stats wont harm either..  I'm not sure if youre aware, (sorry if you are) but you can change the settings so that it will automatically log and send each days readings to a separate file.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jaypeecee

The saga continues...
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 03:49:44 PM »

Hi Folks,

I'm getting sick of this ADSL lark! Yes, you guessed it - things have got worse again. To be precise, my DSL connection rate is 1088 kbps (down), 448 kbps (up). IP profile is down from 1000 kbps to 750 kbps and actual throughput is 694 kbps. It may have been caused by a minor storm on Sunday (31 Aug) but I can't be sure. According to RouterStats, the WAN has been 'up' for 194 hours - in other words, there have been no disconnections since I last re-booted my router. Unfortunately, I am unable to run RouterStats continuously as it causes problems with my PC.

I discovered a 'phone number - 0800 707 6044 - on another forum. Apparently, it's possible to 'phone this number to check if your ADSL line is being throttled. Does this number ring a bell (pun intended) with anyone? I guess there's no point in re-booting my router at the moment until such time as my IP profile has climbed again to 1000 kbps?

JPC

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 04:01:26 PM »

If your connection speed is 1088 then your IP profile is going to stay where it is until you do reboot your router (or it reconnects for some other reason). If the connection speed is lower than it was, then the router must have reconnected recently, despite what Routerstats says.
  Eric

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2008, 05:40:23 PM »

As roseway has pointing out you are going to need a higher sync for your IP Profile to move up. You need 1152+ to get a 1000 profile.

As Kitz has mentioned, it looks as if your 'target SNR' has been raised due to instability in the past which has reduced your sync.  For this to improve your line needs to run stable for 14 days (or more) or get it manually reduced (which BT will only do if it looks stable) - and as your IP Profile has been reduced it doesn't appear to be.

It's a shame you can't run RouterStats continuously - what problems does it cause for you?

The number you quote appears to be for BT Support...

As I mentioned previously - changing from a Netgear (with AR7 chipset like yours) to a Speedtouch 585v6 (with a Broadcom chipset) on a long line (50+ attenuation) sorted my problems out...

EDIT: Just to add I see you've mentioned a couple of times your 'throughput' is always slightly less than your IP Profile - don't worry about this, it's normal - all down to "overheads"!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 05:45:53 PM by b4dger »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2008, 05:49:36 PM »

Just to confirm, I was advised that

The FUP team: 0800 707 6044
Customer support: 0845 600 7030
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything