Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My FTTP suddenly become unstable  (Read 1807 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
My FTTP suddenly become unstable
« on: September 22, 2022, 03:02:09 PM »

It looks like I might be having some trouble with my BT FTTP connection.

I'm on the BT Smart Hub 2 that comes with the BT FTTP upgrade. I'm on the 500Mb package.

When I'm transferring a file I usually got 67MBps in the transfer speed. This was consistant. On the fast.com testing page it always registered my speed slightly above at 520Mb etc.

But then about 5 days ago after the 2 week regular BT Hub reboot I noticed that the speed of transfer dropped to about 43MBps. The speed generally jumped up and down more. It was no longer consistant. I thought that maybe it had been a bad time for the router to reboot and I was prepared to wait it out for 2 weeks until the next reboot.

But on 4 days later, in the early hours of yesterday morning the FTTP line completely went down. The LOS light lit up on the ONT and because my phone goes through the router I just had an auto message giving me some generalised information and when I selected the customer service option I was told I'd have to wait until working hours. So I put the phone down.

About 10 minutes later the FTTP connection came back on, and I thought everything would be back to normal. But it was only back to the unstable situation I was in before my usual good connection was there.

For some reason around 10 minutes after that the connection went down again. At this point I started shutting my apps and games down on the computer as this was becoming unusable. But just before shutting the computer down I noticed it came back on and that the router had rebooted. Again it only went back to that unstable situation I was in before.

So I'm wondering is my old solid connection going to return?

P.S.

I doubt that the 2.5Gb limit as been reached as the node is serving 14 houses at the most, and most of them are older people. There is also a VM presense on the street that I know some of the houses use.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
Re: My FTTP suddenly become unstable
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 07:24:27 PM »

One to ask your provider. Sounds like the router is misbehaving and the LOS was planned maintenance.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 10:16:09 AM »

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't contacted BT yet.

I'm trying to wait it out until the router next reboots at the 2 week mark.

I've done speed tests this morning and now its dropped to 420Mb. The actual download speed jumps up and down, were before it was relatively consistant.

Does anyone know if a full fibre line can be tested via the fault tests on the BT site?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 10:57:44 AM »

But then about 5 days ago after the 2 week regular BT Hub reboot

None of the BT Smart Hub 2's I manage for friends/family reboot every 2 weeks.
It's always been something that only happens on some users BT Hubs, but even less on the Smart Hub 2.

I think it would be much easier if you stuck to Mbps when discussing your throughput rather than jumping back and forward between Mb and MB.

How are you testing speeds? You don't say if it's wired or wireless?

If you are seeing any slow down in throughput you should use the Speed tester built in to the BT Smart Hub 2.
It tests the speed to the Hub only, not to your PC/laptop/phone, meaning it rules out all the users hardware.
It's something BT will ask for you to do before looking in to any speed complaints anyway.

If the Hubs built in speed tester shows slow throughput then there's pretty much nothing you can do and it needs passed on to BT support to look in to.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 11:36:42 AM »

The routers for me have always rebooted every 2 weeks. The problems started when it did its fortnightly reboot and I noticed the speeds drop. But I thought maybe something went wrong during the reboot and was prepared to wait it out until the next reboot. Then thats when I had the LOS light come on the ONT and lost the internet and voice connection. Then it came back on after 10 minutes. Then I think the router rebooted 10 minutes after that.

When I used to download files I would get a speed between 66 and 67Mbps. Now the speed is jumping up and down. Since this its never got to 66Mbps. It's been between 43 and 55. The speeds jump around. They don't settle like before.

I'm on a wired connection. Nothing as changed in my physical setup between it working good and now having erratic speeds.

I just did the BT speed test on both my phone and computer. Both times it came back with the speeds I used to it.

So I'm thinking its either something to do with the router i.e. firmware that was updated 8th of August, or its some kind of issue with my computer i.e. an anti-virus program issue. I'm using Avast. I have tried temporarily disabling all shields.

I really need to buy a laptop that can't handle these speeds then I can connect it directly to the router.

I'll wait it out until the next router reboot and with any luck it might correct any issue going on.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 12:18:50 PM »

None of the BT Smart Hub 2's I manage for friends/family reboot every 2 weeks.

Mine certainly does, always has since FTTP installation March this year, can be easily seen on "Tech log/Event Log" filtered to "Boot".
The current Hub FW is v.035.01.06093-BT, dated 9/6/22.
Usually occurs early hours, 02, 03 but not always.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 12:39:18 PM »

I would try a hard/physical reset on your Smart Hub 2 and see if that makes a difference.

It could be that the firmware update you had on the 8 August hasn't"taken" properly

As you are on FTTP, you can switch off/on your modem with no consequences..
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 12:43:24 PM by gt94sss2 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 07:41:26 PM »

Mine certainly does, always has since FTTP installation March this year, can be easily seen on "Tech log/Event Log" filtered to "Boot".
The current Hub FW is v.035.01.06093-BT, dated 9/6/22.
Usually occurs early hours, 02, 03 but not always.

It seems to be extremely random who this happens to, but certainly appears less common on the Smart Hub 2 compared to older Hubs.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 06:29:02 PM »

I would try a hard/physical reset on your Smart Hub 2 and see if that makes a difference.

It could be that the firmware update you had on the 8 August hasn't"taken" properly

As you are on FTTP, you can switch off/on your modem with no consequences..

I did the turn off and turn on again of the router today.

Sadly it didn't make a difference. On Fast.com I used to always get above 500Mb at any time of the day. Since all this started I'm always in the mid 400's.

I wonder if that LOS light going off as anything to do with it.

When I did the BT speed test, I did it on both the mobile phone app and then on the browser, it came back with the stats that I used to get.

Is the BT speed test testing the network to the ONT or to the router?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2022, 07:18:27 PM »

Turning it off and on isn't the same as a hard reset, you need to press the recessed button with a paperclip for about 20 seconds until the lights flash.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2022, 09:43:28 PM »

Turning it off and on isn't the same as a hard reset, you need to press the recessed button with a paperclip for about 20 seconds until the lights flash.

Ahh, the factory reset.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 11:33:29 AM »

Ok, I managed to get to the back of the router today and do the factory reset.

My original speeds have come back!

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2022, 08:01:37 PM »

Glad it worked :)