Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZZOOMM FTTP Installation / Rollout  (Read 1566 times)

lewisp8

ZZOOMM FTTP Installation / Rollout
« on: September 15, 2022, 07:48:53 PM »

I've recently ordered l FTTP service from a ISP called ZZOOMM, they're not a big ISP but they have a lot of presence in my town where the've installed their services below is a summary of my installation.

Groundworks

It would appear ZZOOMM use a combination of their own ducts underground and use OR ducts as well, on my street they have dug and placed ducts up to the OR manhole cover and then have laid their cables in the existing OR ducts. In some areas they've used OR's telegraph poles but also they appear to have put toby boxes in the ground outside properties. They have large green cabinets dotted around but there are only 3-4 in a town that serves 10,000 properties so I imagine each cabinet serves a large number of customers.

Order process:

Ordering is easy to do online, they have a few options to chose from all speeds are symmetrical.

150Mbs: £33.00 / Month

450Mbs: £44.00 / Month

900Mbs: £66.00 / Month

2000Mbs: £99.00 / Month.

Installation

On the day of the installation they come and do a survey first, they walk you around and agree a route for the fiberoptic cable to be routed to a room of your choice and explain how the service will reach your property. They then produce a report with photos which is sent to you with the agreed installation.

After the above, they spend some time using a machine to pull the fiberoptic cable through the underground OR duct through to the property. They then installed a fiberoptic distribution box on the outside of the property

Hardware

This then has a separate fiber cable that come out which snakes around the house and goes through the wall to the ONT, the ONT is either an Adtran or Iskratel model they seem to use a 50:50 split.

The ONT plugs in to a Icotera I4882 router which connects via 2.5Gb lan connection.

Results look good so far, I have the 2Gb package but am only getting 1Gb due to the lan connection on my computer, hoping to upgrade to a multigigabit gigabit lan connection to take advantage of the 2Gb connection.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ZZOOMM FTTP Installation / Rollout
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 10:40:46 PM »

Thank you for the description and the images. It is always useful to see how other service providers install their own hardware.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything