Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Router Recommendation for 2Gb Symmetrical FTTP Service  (Read 1898 times)

lewisp8

Router Recommendation for 2Gb Symmetrical FTTP Service
« on: September 07, 2022, 10:22:21 PM »

A company called ZZOOMM has been installing fibre broadband in my town, our property has now gone live to order. I’ve ordered their 2Gb package (all packages are symmetrical), from what I understand they use a AdTran 10Gb ONT which connects to a supplied Zyxel router via a 10Gb Lan cable. I’m looking to use my own router rather than the pre supplied one as I’ve heard the wife performance is poor. Does anybody have any suggestions of a multi gigabit capable Wi-Fi router with good performance that’s likely to work?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Router Recommendation for 2Gb Symmetrical FTTP Service
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 12:06:10 AM »

It might be worth looking at the MikroTik range. The new Firebrick model is soon to come out, and that may be fast enough for you - ask Andrews and Arnold or Firebrick Ltd about spec. I have a Firebrick and it’s beautiful, a joy to use, but not cheap. Routers in that performance bracket will be more expensive than mere gigabit models. It’s worth listing what your other requirements are.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 12:18:41 AM »

. . . from what I understand they use a AdTran 10Gb ONT which connects to a supplied Zyxel router via a 10Gb Lan cable.

If you could find out exactly what hardware they install (the Adtran ONT) and provide (the ZyXEL router), we would then be able to (hopefully) find the specification of that router and, thus, know what sort of performance you would like to surpass with your own router.

I, too, would suggest that you take a look at the MikroTik range.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 01:41:30 AM »

You will need high quality network cables and if you need a switch in order to give you more ports, then you will need one with multigig 1/2.5/5 Gbps ports on it, maybe including 10 Gbps. Only very high performance 802.11ax wireless access points (WAPs) will cope with 2 Gbps network traffic. So it is worth asking about top-end WAPs too. It is of course very desirable to avoid wireless and be wireful if you can, because of wireless’ cost, sometimes the performance limitations and dodgy reliability if you have lots of neighbours or an insufficient number of WAPs to cover your entire space well.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 04:46:12 AM by Weaver »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 02:33:42 AM »

Only very high performance 802.11ax wireless access points (WAPs) will cope with 2 Gbps network traffic.

Only high performance WAPs will potentially, if the wind is blowing the right way and the stars align, occasionally hit 1.4Gbit if you're in the same room with perfect line of sight.

Even though my Zyxel is 4x4 MIMO, their own support said they had only benchmarked it at 1.6Gbit max.

Basically, don't expect WiFi to ever be more than 800Mbit and don't be shocked if its 600Mbit, even on the best hardware on the market.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 07:38:55 AM »

Only high performance WAPs will potentially, if the wind is blowing the right way and the stars align, occasionally hit 1.4Gbit if you're in the same room with perfect line of sight.

Even though my Zyxel is 4x4 MIMO, their own support said they had only benchmarked it at 1.6Gbit max.

Basically, don't expect WiFi to ever be more than 800Mbit and don't be shocked if its 600Mbit, even on the best hardware on the market.

Agree, you are not going to get anywhere near the 2Gbps over wireless. I'd give the supplied Zyxel equipment a chance first as from my experience of their VDSL kit the wifi is generally ok (not the best, but ok).

... as I’ve heard the wife performance is poor. ..

This one I can't help with I'm afraid.  ;D
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 09:47:46 AM »

I cannot find a Zyxel WiFi router with a 10Gb WAN port.

Found this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-Armor-Multi-Gigabit-AC2600-Router/dp/B08KGSQWTT

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2022, 10:14:08 AM »

For myself, I’m looking at horribly expensive Aruba 600 series kit. You don’t want to know the price. It’s very hard to get kit fast enough to keep up with your system wirelessly. You should certainly be looking at seoarate wireless access points and routers as then you have much more freedom of choice and potentially far better coverage.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 10:18:46 AM »

I cannot find a Zyxel WiFi router with a 10Gb WAN port.

Found this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-Armor-Multi-Gigabit-AC2600-Router/dp/B08KGSQWTT

That'd be a start but the LAN ports are only gigabit.
I too am struggling to find anything they make with 2.5 or above LAN ports. This one looks to have one 2.5 LAN port but is marked as end of life.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

lewisp8

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2022, 12:58:16 PM »

So, from a bit of research they supply a Zyxel AX7501, apparently this has an SFP port on it which connects to a AdTran 622V wall mounted ONT. I’m presuming the SFP port is filled with a 10GBe Ethernet. I’ll have to confirm when it is installed in a couple of weeks. The set up seems quite elaborate, and is most likely overkill for my needs. In fact, I’m not sure why they offer a residential multigigabit symmetrical option but I’m not going to turn it down! I might try out the router supplied, it looks decent but have bad experience with anything ISP provided previously.

Ona side note, has anybody heard of ZZOOMM? They’ve sprung up from nothing but have a huge presence in my town, they’ve got 100’s of workers installing the service across the town and local villages.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2022, 01:59:01 PM »

So you no longer need a 10Gb ethernet port, but you need a router with a suitable SFP port.

https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_5hacq2hnd_in

https://www.getic.com/product/mikrotik-rb5009upr-s-in

Looking for others but I would recommend a separate AP

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2022, 02:17:10 PM »

Spec sheet for the AX7501 - https://eyenetworks.no/wp-content/uploads/AX7501-B0_Datasheet_5.pdf
Looks like a nice bit of kit and is mesh capable so you could pair it with one of Zyxel's extenders eg - https://service-provider.zyxel.com/emea/en/products/network-extenders/wireless-extenders/wx3100-t0
I'd certainly give it a good chance before spending your own money on an alternative.
Hopefully ZZOOMM haven't locked down the firmware too much, if at all.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 02:25:53 PM by tubaman »