Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Email hosting  (Read 10300 times)

Dwight

• Reg Member
Email hosting
« on: September 02, 2022, 02:21:00 PM »

Hi All.
About to have to change my email account for the umpteen time, and was wondering if anyone uses a 3rd party firm. So I don't have to keep changing.
Thanks
David.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Email hosting
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 02:39:04 PM »

Hi All.
About to have to change my email account for the umpteen time, and was wondering if anyone uses a 3rd party firm. So I don't have to keep changing.
Thanks
David.

Use gmail - works everywhere and is free.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 03:07:02 PM »

Use gmail - works everywhere and is free.

I REALLY don't like using a company that is known for spying and mainstream so more likely to be attacked.

But e-mail is becoming a PITA as I recently moved my VPS and virus scanning e-mails brings even a 2 core 4GB RAM VPS to its knees.  I'm honestly tempted to try hosting it at home, but of course then if its ever under attack then things get REAL interesting.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 04:09:14 PM »

As @tubaman says, Gmail.

I use IONOS (1&1) for our village hall, 50 email addresses, web hosting and domain £6/m if you are looking for a paid for service.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 04:28:51 PM »

I use Andrews and Arnold’s email. Very cheap and very reliable. See aa.net.uk. You don’t have to be an ISP customer at all.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2022, 04:33:15 PM »

I'll suggest that you first talk to John (d2d4j) . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 04:34:26 PM »

Ah, yes, I forgot.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 05:51:15 PM »

I REALLY don't like using a company that is known for spying and mainstream so more likely to be attacked.

I'm no fan of Goggle as a company either but their email works very well, is free, and saves having to change things when I move between ISPs. Having had to change all my email addresses in the past due to using an ISP's service I really don't want all that hassle again.
As for them being mainstream and more likely to be attacked I do agree, but I also think it makes them extremely security conscious as they have a reputation to uphold.
It's also rather difficult not to use them at all if you use mobile phones (Android) unless you go with Apple, and are they really any better?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 07:02:37 PM »

I don’t understand the point about mobile phones, perhaps you could clarify. I use iOS/iPadOS and although they can have Apple involvement in email, it isn’t essential. If you carefully check the options in Settings, then you can keep Apple out of involvement in your email and just use the service that you trust. Stick with d2d4j. (Or AA.)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 07:37:13 PM »

Hi

@burakkucat and weaver - Many thanks for mentioning our service

If dwight wishes to take up the Kitz offer, they are more then welcome

I appreciate our service is not for everyone for many reasons and I never push it but we do not spy or read anything ourselves.  The platforms do scan and may take auto actions such as quarantining if it believes to bad (we had a recent case of this with genuine banks using links which closely resembles hashes of known bad links - but this was resolved once fully traced through)

I do follow the forums but only when infront of a computer and nearly replied to wifi 6 but ran out of time sorry

I think it is as weaver states, use a provider you trust which is like most things in life

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2022, 07:51:33 PM »

Tubaman makes an excellent point. I’ve always told my own customers not to get trapped as Tubman was. Having someone else’s domain name in your email, such as fred-bloggs@someisp.net, is a really bad idea come the time you need to change ISPs. It also looks completely unprofessional/naff, having an address that isn’t your own. So use your own domain name. It costs £12 per year or less (very very rough figures) and then your email address(es) will be anything-you-like@fredbloggs.whatever. And that will be your address for life. I’ve had my own domain names for over 22 years now, I forget, and the domain names are just my own full name. (BTW, it’s not a secret, I just don’t mention it on the forum so as to avoid spammers’ attention if they’re scanning the web.)

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2022, 08:39:45 PM »

I don’t understand the point about mobile phones, perhaps you could clarify. I use iOS/iPadOS and although they can have Apple involvement in email, it isn’t essential. If you carefully check the options in Settings, then you can keep Apple out of involvement in your email and just use the service that you trust. Stick with d2d4j. (Or AA.)

My point is that Google own the Android OS and run the Play store where you get all of the apps from. I'm fairly sure that if you want to use that Play store you need a google account. It's thus quite difficult to keep away from them.
I don't think the situation is so different with Apple and IOS, except that IOS is closed source so the code can't be scrutinised.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 08:42:03 PM by tubaman »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2022, 09:44:27 PM »

I think by default when you create a Google account you get a GMail account, as I see instructions on Google for how to specifically avoid that.  Its complicated as I was using YouTube long before Google accounts, so that's probably how I got my Google account and I can't remember if I did anything special to enable GMail.

As for e-mail in general, I stopped using ISP mail really early on after needing to switch ISPs a few times during the early years of flat-rate dialup, so I kinda side-stepped the tie-in a lot of people have now.  Then when I decided to get my own domain I naturally moved to hosting my own e-mail.

Now with some sites only offering e-mail two-factor authentication, I'm extra wary of having more layers in my e-mail.  Although perhaps ironically considering most of my 2FA is via Google Authenticator. :/  Although my domain is hosted by Cloudflare where I use Authy and I probably have gmail as a backup e-mail for recovery anyway, so maybe I'm just being a hypocrite?

At the end of the day, its just trying to add as many layers that would need to be compromised as possible.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2022, 10:39:56 PM »

I've also had my own domain names for many years, one of which is our surname.me.uk, our emails are hosted by John, and it's an excellent service.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2022, 10:21:27 PM »

Hi

@burakkucat and weaver - Many thanks for mentioning our service

If dwight wishes to take up the Kitz offer, they are more then welcome

I appreciate our service is not for everyone for many reasons and I never push it but we do not spy or read anything ourselves.  The platforms do scan and may take auto actions such as quarantining if it believes to bad (we had a recent case of this with genuine banks using links which closely resembles hashes of known bad links - but this was resolved once fully traced through)

I do follow the forums but only when infront of a computer and nearly replied to wifi 6 but ran out of time sorry

I think it is as weaver states, use a provider you trust which is like most things in life

Many thanks

John

Thank you guys for the info.
As for "gmail.com" I feel it is a least professional service and I am looking  for something a bit more select.
As I also have a "yahoo.co.uk" account and I am looking to move away from both, due to the level of detritus they now get as both are 15 to 20 years old.

John
If you could PM me details of your service then that would be great.

Thanks.
David.
Pages: [1] 2