Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: So I can now order FTTP from Openreach.  (Read 1963 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
So I can now order FTTP from Openreach.
« on: September 01, 2022, 01:44:23 PM »

But I do not need it and they have done an awful job of cabling the communal stairwell, no trunking, just naked fibre optic cabling tacked up three floors.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: So I can now order FTTP from Openreach.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 02:10:05 PM »

Why is that awful, other than being more open to vandalism?  That's how I've always seen phone lines done too.

I'd also argue EVERYONE needs it, even if its just for FTTC speeds, as its so much more reliable and uses less electricity.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 04:03:31 PM »

But I do not need it and they have done an awful job of cabling the communal stairwell, no trunking, just naked fibre optic cabling tacked up three floors.

They don't use trunking, they use Invisilight 12f for floor cabling, and Invisilight 1f for apartment cabling. As the name suggests, it should pretty much blend in as best it can.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 04:37:58 PM »

Not surprising, having to replace the odd fibre that some vandal destroyed is going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than putting trunking everywhere.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 05:38:43 PM »

Exactly, and the Invisilight/EZ bend cables are glued into place using a siclicon sealant type of product ,(never used it in anger myself, but have seen the finished product and if you weren't looking for the cable you wouldn't know it was there).

Of course, it all depends on the contractor/individual doing the install. Even with the right tools, some folk can still make cable runs look a crock of .... 

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 07:28:07 PM »

Exactly, and the Invisilight/EZ bend cables are glued into place using a siclicon sealant type of product ,(never used it in anger myself, but have seen the finished product and if you weren't looking for the cable you wouldn't know it was there).

Of course, it all depends on the contractor/individual doing the install. Even with the right tools, some folk can still make cable runs look a crock of ....

I deny that - it was late, I had too much to do....................
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2022, 12:36:40 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 12:51:41 PM »

I'd be more concerned about sub-contractors.  Made me real nervous that the guy doing my DP didn't want me to take a photo of him doing the joints (even with him out of shot).

Also the guy who installed my ONT, put screws straight into the plaster wall so if I sneeze too hard that will be off the wall.

Still can't get over that he completely replaced my copper line with fibre only, its what I wanted, but surely not what he should have done given there was a live POTS service on there independent of the broadband.

Speaking of, does anyone know if its possible to pop the cover off the fibre strain relief and flip it so to fibre goes upwards instead of down?  Or does it HAVE to face downwards?

anything