News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Aruba  (Read 4041 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Aruba
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2022, 11:49:21 PM »

The Zyxel I use has 4x4 MU-MIMO on 5Ghz (the lower model I think was 2x2), hate the UI but lets face it, once you configure everything you never need to touch it again.  Its been rock-solid with a mix of around 10 clients across both bands, supports VLANs absolutely fine, etc.

You don't need a client with MU-MIMO 4x4 to benefit, if its support MU-MIMO at all it should benefit, although as I said before its kinda hard to tell if its doing anything or not.  I do however seem to get a better speed at the edges of the house, possibly implying it is working?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2022, 01:13:01 AM »

What is the UI like?

On my ancient ZyXEL there’s a web UI with lots of menus and tabular list boxes. Iirc it also has a CLI with the ZYSH  scripting ‘language’, although I don’t know enough about it to know whether it qualifies as a programming language, or whether it’s merely a batch file containing a list of effective verbs. The web UI is very powerful, with an ‘object-oriented’ design, in the sense that you can create named objects of various types and then can use them by reference in several places. For example you have create a radio object and bind an SSID object to it. Within that SSID, you can reference a security profile object which contains a password if you’re using a PSK,  and optionally you can reference a MAC-filtering object which can have a list of allowed MAC addresses if you’re doing MAC-filtering. I reference an L2-isolation object which specifies which devices a station belonging to a particular guest SSID is allowed to communicate with, and i’ve set that up to give any guest station enough access to allow them to get to the internet but no more, so no communication with other machines on the wired or wireless halves of the LAN. This is a way of doing things without using VLANs and the use of VLANs would be a much more common solution for this. It’s very valuable to be able to reuse SSID objects like this, as you can then put the same SSID on each of the two radios.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2022, 01:40:47 AM »

Yeah its a weird object based UI that seems completely alien to me, where you have to set the radio in one place, the SSID in another, it just seems over-complicated.

What really annoyed me was they do not expose the client link rates over SNMP despite exposing the connected client list in general and the signal strength per client.  Seems to be a common issue though that vendors do half-assed SNMP support, my switches don't expose PoE power delivered and even pfSense is stupidly slow if you poll its interface traffic counters over SNMP.  Just kinda feel that SNMP in general is garbage on all devices.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 01:44:57 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 2 [3]