Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Germany/Europe ONT Market.  (Read 1957 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Germany/Europe ONT Market.
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 09:44:23 AM »

Hi.
One for the Academics out there!
If Germany has an open market for its ONTs, does the rest of Europe?

There's a German law that prevents ISP's/network operators from forcing customers in to using specific CPE.
It only applies in Germany.

Why can't we have the same?

I don't think it's a good idea, particularly with GPON.
A naughty ONT can affect the whole PON.

If your network operator upgrades from GPON to XGS-PON then your ONT/router could become an expensive paperweight.

It isn't the same as using a modem/router on FTTC.
The ONT is the demarcation point. It's where Openreach's network ends and yours begins.
Think of the ONT as a powered master socket.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 10:47:36 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2022, 06:33:16 PM »

Exactly.

With DSL at worst you will bork your own line, with FTTP you could take down the whole PON.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 10:09:48 PM »

It is of course what I'd have to do if we get there, but you missed my previous point that I like that the ONT is the networks responsibility - even though that can be a slight disadvantage due to longer downtime if it fails waiting for a replacement.

I guess if some cheap pfSense appliances appear with SFP+ ports, I'd possibly feel differently.

Don't want to upset you Alex, but they already do!
But it was just a discussion point, as I have a little flat and I would prefer 1 box does all.
Once I win the lottery and have time to fiddle then yes. A box for all seasons might be the answer.
But for know it seems suppliers over substance and we have to have the cheapest bulk buy option from our Fiber suppliers.
Thanks all for your comments.
David.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2022, 10:21:32 PM »

I guess if some cheap pfSense appliances appear with SFP+ ports, I'd possibly feel differently.

I'm sure there is something in the MikroTik range that will do the job in place of your pfSense box. You would then just need a GPON-ONU-34-20BI from FS, plus a few other incidentals.  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2022, 02:29:34 PM »

I did say pfSense for a reason, I had considered moving to OPNsense but moving all my firewall rules and VPNs over would be a pain.  So no, moving to RouterOS is not a viable option at all.

Also bear in mind my router cost £148.65, is capable of 2.5Gbit (though how much over PPP I'm not sure) and low enough power to run over PoE.  If I moved it next to my ONT I could run that off the same PoE splitter even.  You're talking about getting an ONT 1/3 the price my router was, to replace something that does the job perfectly fine (and I don't have to pay to replace if it breaks) and they haven't left enough spare fibre for me to comfortable put my router there anyway.

Technically I could run a VM on my Server/NAS and switch its NIC to a two-port model, but its nowhere near the fibre so I'd have to use an extension and out of curiosity I did look and couldn't find one.  Plus technically that's in breach of the contract with Openreach as I shouldn't be touching anything before the ONT.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 02:33:41 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2022, 04:10:35 PM »

Because our telcos currently don't want the hassle of dealing with compatibility issues and having to get end users to call and pair up their own ONT?

Honestly, having the demarcation point being the ethernet port of an ONT is FAR better for the end user, as long as the ONT provides a bridge mode.  If it breaks, the ISP replaces it and the end user gets a much wider choice of router hardware.

Pretty much this, all the g.inp problems OR have had were I expect mostly down to their open policy on modems which they probably ended up regretting.

Likewise why also SRA never took off in the UK in the ADSL days, as that was extremely spotty support on modems.
Pages: 1 [2]