Broadband Related > Broadband Technology

Uncapped XGSPON

(1/23) > >>

XGS_Is_On:
So I'm fortunate enough to have uncapped XGSPON now. Whatever's left from other folks on the PON I can draw on.

As the geeks may be aware XGSPON is symmetrical 10G with compulsory FEC taking it down to about 8.5G then the various overheads at Ethernet and IP layer.

I'm seeing 8.2-8.3 Gbit/s reliably. Bufferbloat is good - joys of 8.3G on a 10GbE port.

It just works and works well. Any questions I'll try and answer them however it's basically exactly the same as GPON just symmetrical and bigger numbers.

Alex Atkin UK:
I forget, what alt-net are you on again?

XGS_Is_On:
YouFibre via Netomnia.

dee.jay:

--- Quote from: XGS_Is_On on August 24, 2022, 04:46:22 AM ---YouFibre via Netomnia.

--- End quote ---

I am very encouraged to hear their network is strong even though you can pull 8.3Gb through it. As soon as it is available here I'll be signing up for 1Gbps symmetric, I cannot really justify 10Gbps at this point (not to say I can't afford it, but would have to spend a lot of time and effort upgrading everything else to support 10Gbps), however I applaud the trailblazers who are going that route.

XGS_Is_On:
Yes, I didn't have the expense of upgrading anything as I made the decision to have 10GbE available to all wired devices when I put the home network in, which was lucky!

I have, however, brought in some 25G now, just to a couple of devices. I don't plan on going to 25G across the board for a while: those switches are expensive.

More likely I'll get 100G kit when 50GPON becomes a thing, so around 2025 when my contract is up. :fingers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version