Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Glitches - currently WLAN blamed  (Read 5915 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Glitches - currently WLAN blamed
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2022, 11:49:09 AM »

When I tried channel 100, which was a long, long time ago, I couldn’t tell whether or not I was in the wait state or whether it just didn’t support those channels as the device seemed to have moved down to channel 64. Then there’s also the question of what Apple supports.

Apple supports on my 11, SE 2020 and SE2022.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2022, 01:59:48 PM »

Indeed, for reliability I'd reduce 2.4Ghz down to 20Mhz also, as the wider the width, the more prone to problems.

Bandwidth causes issues when you are in a signal congested area I believe. I doubt @Weaver will need to worry a lot about that.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2022, 02:58:34 PM »

Bandwidth causes issues when you are in a signal congested area I believe. I doubt @Weaver will need to worry a lot about that.

Partly, but I believe also the wider the channel width, the harder it is to maintain the connection as it gets weaker.  So its faster in close range, slower further away, than a smaller channel width.  I could of course be wrong about that.

I know my 5Ghz point to point link, on a bad day when attenuation is higher I sometimes have to manually drop the channel width as it performs faster with a stronger signal on a lower width.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2022, 03:33:52 PM »

I suggested to Janet that now might finally be the time to swap out the WAPs for some modern kit, gigabit class or as near as is as achievable. What do you think?

If you're considering replacing your kit, you may want to consider a Mesh system.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2022, 03:35:04 PM »

@meritez - My apologies, I’m being thick: could you clarify?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2022, 05:01:15 PM »

If the channel had been moved down that happens at the Access Point due to DFS detection, not the client device.

Also, did you mean it supports Band B (where channel 100 lives) or Band C (seems doubtful)?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2022, 06:49:02 PM »

3rd party devices seem an absolute lottery.

I have more than one device that cant detect my 5ghz at all, even though I am using regulated UK legal channels.  My android phones are the only things that support WPA3, and most others dont even support WPA2 + 802.11w combo.

Some of these devices are from big name tech companies e.g. firetv stick and xbox.  Just laziness to keep the wifi software stack updated.  This is one of the reasons I dont invest in a state of the art access point as clients just cant keep up.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2022, 08:22:53 PM »

I have more than one device that cant detect my 5ghz at all, even though I am using regulated UK legal channels.

Which channel are you using as there are plenty of devices that only support the Band A channels (36 - 64).
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2022, 09:07:56 PM »

3rd party devices seem an absolute lottery.

I have more than one device that cant detect my 5ghz at all, even though I am using regulated UK legal channels.  My android phones are the only things that support WPA3, and most others dont even support WPA2 + 802.11w combo.

Some of these devices are from big name tech companies e.g. firetv stick and xbox.  Just laziness to keep the wifi software stack updated.  This is one of the reasons I dont invest in a state of the art access point as clients just cant keep up.

Amazon are the pits when it comes to WiFi support, they seem to have an American mentality about it, only channels 1-11 on 2.4 and next to nothing on 5ghz.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2022, 12:07:21 PM »

Amazon are the pits when it comes to WiFi support, they seem to have an American mentality about it, only channels 1-11 on 2.4 and next to nothing on 5ghz.

Unfortunately a lot of vendors seemed to do that (eg TP-Link, who do not have region-specific firmware) especially older hardware, which killed the EU channel usage pattern.  You HAVE to use 1,6,11 or trample all over the spectrum, as channel 13 was not supported.  While that may have been fixed over time, the damage was already done as all networks in range have to follow the same scheme.

What made this worse is bad implementations of auto channel selection which doesn't seem to consider channel widths at all, so would pick really idiotic channels, overlapping multiple other networks.

As for Amazon products, if I restart the firewall on pfSense, my Echo Show seems to take minutes to recover, if I reboot the Access Point I usually have to force it to reconnect manually.  Its very bad at reconnecting to the Internet if there is any interruption.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2022, 12:19:33 PM »

@meritez - My apologies, I’m being thick: could you clarify?

5ghz Band C supported on iPhone 11 chipsets and upwards.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2022, 01:03:31 PM »

Is the requirement to have a radar detection delay still in place for 5GHz Group B ? (ie channels 100-140 ? )

This somewhat confusing Draytek article mentions something about channels 52-64. I had never heard of there being any difficulties associated with those channels and just thought that the problems only arose at channel 100 and above.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2022, 03:11:17 PM »

http://wifinigel.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-5ghz-problem-for-wi-fi-networks-dfs.html

No, not all channels in the 5GHz band are subject to DFS. The channels that are exempt vary from country to country, as dictated by local regulations. In the UK/EU, channels 36, 40, 44 and 48 are not subject to DFS. However, all remaining channels are subject to DFS. In the USA, channels 36 - 48, together with 149 - 165 are exempt from DFS operation, with all remaining channels requiring DFS operation. (Check your local spectrum regulation authority for the latest information for your country).

http://wifinigel.blogspot.com/2018/05/updated-white-paper-on-license-exempt.html

5ghz channels 144 to 165 are now DFS exempt in the UK.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2022, 04:35:53 PM »

Is the requirement to have a radar detection delay still in place for 5GHz Group B ? (ie channels 100-140 ? )

This somewhat confusing Draytek article mentions something about channels 52-64. I had never heard of there being any difficulties associated with those channels and just thought that the problems only arose at channel 100 and above.

DFS applies to channels 52-140.  This is why 5Ghz was terrible for a long time as when DFS wasn't supported you literally had ONE usable 80Mhz channel.

http://wifinigel.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-5ghz-problem-for-wi-fi-networks-dfs.html

http://wifinigel.blogspot.com/2018/05/updated-white-paper-on-license-exempt.html

5ghz channels 144 to 165 are now DFS exempt in the UK.

Yes, that's Band C with very little support at the moment on clients and Access Points/Routers, sadly.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 04:47:24 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2022, 08:55:11 PM »

I read a lot of incorrect or misleading stuff way back when I first got into 5 GHz. That’s why I’ve been befuddled just now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4