Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How old a DECT phone can you get away with?  (Read 3378 times)

Dwight

• Reg Member
How old a DECT phone can you get away with?
« on: August 21, 2022, 08:54:47 PM »

Hi Folks,
Have a Diverse 4016 phone/answer machine, and was wondering if it will work with a VOIP black box? Thinking the Cisco ATA. As they seem wildly available, does any one else have such an old DECT phone working on VOIP?
Thanks.
Dwight1379

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: How old a DECT phone can you get away with?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 11:17:01 PM »

I'm rather confused at the question, an ATA by definition should work with any and all POTS phones.  The only exception there might be are really old pulse dialing phones perhaps might not work.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 01:10:27 PM »

I'm rather confused at the question, an ATA by definition should work with any and all POTS phones.  The only exception there might be are really old pulse dialing phones perhaps might not work.

Hi Alex,
Yep, you would think so and I hope so. But I wasn't sure if there have been any changes in software/hardware that would prohibit older phones.
Thanks.
Dwight1379

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 02:53:42 PM »

I’m using a relatively old DECT. With a Cisco ATA with no issues.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 10:36:15 PM »

I’m using a relatively old DECT. With a Cisco ATA with no issues.

Thanks g3uiss.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 03:35:48 AM »

I'd expect all DECT to work, though it kinda makes more sense IMO to go for a DECT base station that does VoIP itself - a waste of electricity to have two units.

There's also the fact VoIP is not "a phone line", as in if you have four handsets all four can make a call at the same time.  With an ATA and DECT station plugged into that, you are limiting that to one.  Probably not something I will ever need, but its one less thing to think about, plus I can always connect to VoIP over my mobile too.

I don't use an answering service, but if I did I can enable that at AAISP so they simply e-mail me the messages, no need to have anything at home for that.  In fact, I have it set to record all calls as we both have a habit of forgetting what people said over the phone.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 03:38:26 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors