Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: EE Unlimited Data Sim Every Month Until 21/03/2024 for £10 a month  (Read 5631 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.scancom.co.uk/products/unlimited-pre-paid-data-sim-every-month-until-21-03-2024-free-dpd-next-day-delivery-10-per-month

Unlimited EE 5G data every month

A Fair use policy of 600GB per month applies set by EE
No Cashbacks
The sim will terminate on 21.03.2024
FREE NEXT BUSINESS DAY dpd shipping
SIM COST one off £10 and then monthly £10 ex VAT

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: EE Unlimited Data Sim Every Month Until 21/03/2024 for £10 a month
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 08:28:39 PM »

I'm a bit wary of that given EE supposedly don't HAVE a Fair Use policy on their Unlimited plans.
https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/offers-and-services/other/unlimited-plans
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 07:18:23 AM »

I'm a bit wary of that given EE supposedly don't HAVE a Fair Use policy on their Unlimited plans.

That page says "All of our unlimited plans are uncapped so you can use as much data as you like, as long as it's for personal use. "

Followed by "We will consider usage above 600GB/month to be non-personal use and have the right to apply traffic management controls to deprioritise your mobile traffic during busy periods or to move you to a business plan. "

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 10:25:44 AM »

Oh, they definitely do have a Fair Usage policy.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 12:46:31 PM »

Do you get a real IP address? (Mind you, I could L2TP into Andrews and Arnold.)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 01:00:08 PM »

Do you get a real IP address? (Mind you, I could L2TP into Andrews and Arnold.)

No idea, there's a couple of forum members on ispreview who have purchased it:
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/testing-ees-4g-5g.38298/post-278901

Edit: asked, it's CGNAT
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 04:44:19 PM by meritez »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 04:09:41 PM »

I bought one of those SIM's and the gear to turn my APU that I bought and never used into a caravan router... Will be nice to finally be able to use that thing.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 09:04:04 PM »

That page says "All of our unlimited plans are uncapped so you can use as much data as you like, as long as it's for personal use. "

Followed by "We will consider usage above 600GB/month to be non-personal use and have the right to apply traffic management controls to deprioritise your mobile traffic during busy periods or to move you to a business plan. "

Is that even legal?  Surely arbitrarily deciding what is personal and business use is kinda dodgy, given you can pull a lot of data if you're a gamer and streamer (I'm talking personal use, not someone streaming to Twitch, etc).

Although personally I'm okay with a priority system if the service is dirt-cheap, its charging for overage that is a big nope in my book.

I'd be all on that, if it wasn't for the fact EE 5G comes off the same mast as Vodafone 5G and O2 5G, which is outdoors-only here.  Its not worth having to buy an outdoor antenna, given I'm trying to minimise routes for lightening into the house as storms are getting more common with climate change.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 09:07:26 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 12:28:41 PM »

I’m very much in favour of usage caps as long as users can go to a higher usage tariff by paying extra, and are not just kicked off or completely crippled. I think limits of some sort are even more important with a mobile network. Having usage caps protects the quality of the network and having users pay for what they use is only fair so that certain hogs don’t cause a poor experience for the rest. On a mobile network it can sometimes be easy to saturate a cell with traffic or take up a major chunk of its throughput so other users in that cell are stuffed. It seems to me that the only way to fix this would be for the basestation to have per-user ingress throttling, in both directions.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 12:33:21 PM »

I bought one of those SIM's and the gear to turn my APU that I bought and never used into a caravan router... Will be nice to finally be able to use that thing.

Has it arrived yet?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 01:54:39 PM »

@Alex Being the world’s leading expert on lightning strikes, I would think you would be ok with an outdoor antenna as long as you keep it reasonably low down. It shouldn’t be even close to being the highest point on the outside of the house. You should think about routes whereby electric current can somehow be drawn up/down from/to the earth (or the opposite direction) into/away from the antenna as the electric field underneath a thundercloud either attracts electrons up into high points or repels them away from such points down into ground. The high point then becomes charged and has a very strong electric field around it, the field strength depending critically on how sharp any point may be (‘point effect’). If high enough, this field can cause air to break down and start a streamer that can build into a lightning strike. If there are other rather higher points on the building then they will be the unlucky candidates for the greatest point effect and your antenna will not be the site of such buildup. Also consider insulation and the resistance of paths from ground to your antenna, especially when everything is wet.

Indeed, as long as the antenna has line of sight or something like it, it can presumably be as low as you like as long as stray cows/tourists/relatives don’t walk right in front of it. Being low down means that the likelihood of high wind damage is reduced, especially if you can arrange for the house itself to give protection from the prevailing winds, although I appreciate that this is not always possible, if the line to the basestation is simply on the wrong side of the house.

I did think about getting hold of two fibre media converters and inserting them with a short length of fibre inline to make a break in my copper ethernet cable, so as to completely break the electrical circuit, hence no route to/from ground for charge buildup in the antenna or a current surge from a lightning strike that destroys all your kit as has happened to me with modems.

celso

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 01:56:01 PM »

I bought a similar one via Amazon (10.50 per month, ends a few months after this one too).

It works fine. No fixed IP, it's CGNAT. Speeds not as high as Three, but around here EE's 4G is much better than Three, so it's an acceptable trade-off.

The 600GB FUP apparently isn't a hard limit, but it's annoying not to know the real limit or how many times we can pass the 600GB mark before having problems.

I don't know if EE considers these to be consumer or business plans as it's ScanCom that "adds" unlimited data to the SIM every month. It doesn't seem to be the traditional plan we get from EE.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 10:44:32 PM »

Indeed, as long as the antenna has line of sight or something like it, it can presumably be as low as you like as long as stray cows/tourists/relatives don’t walk right in front of it. Being low down means that the likelihood of high wind damage is reduced, especially if you can arrange for the house itself to give protection from the prevailing winds, although I appreciate that this is not always possible, if the line to the basestation is simply on the wrong side of the house.

I know EXACTLY where the tower is, it would need to be relatively high up to get over the many rooftops to reach it, the density of housing is why it has awful 5G range indoors.

You have to bear in mind, when our chimney got hit, it didn't even seem to hit to the top, it hit the bottom of the chimney as you can see a piece missing from the impact.  There are many higher points around here you'd think it would have hit, so its not nearly as predictable as you'd hope.

I have no idea how it even upset the fuse box or anything along the mains, though it could have been due to the socket my surge protector was plugged into wasn't earthed correctly so the surge protector perhaps cause the current to flow where it shouldn't have.  That was the irony, the modem that did most of the damage, was supposed to be surge protected, but the council wiring was faulty in that socket so it had high earth resistance (I'm assuming, as they had screwed it into the earth sheathing so was barely making contact with the wire).

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 11:57:33 PM »

It isn’t quite so predictable, hence me saying ‘rather higher’. In photographs you can see several streamers of different lengths competing for success in linking up and forming a complete path to the cloud. Which one wins is indeed unpredictable. As for your chimney, I’d think that the resistance of a path all the way to the very top might not have been that good. And in that case there was no example of point effect, nothing sharp, so who knows.

I would still think that you should be reasonably ok at gutter / eaves level, especially if there’s no current path up the ethernet cable so no complete path all the way up from earth to antenna cable. If at all concerned try my fibre media converters trick and buy some contents insurance.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2022, 03:43:11 AM »

For me EE started getting slower roughly about half a year after BT's takeover, and is now nowhere near its original 4G speeds.  I wonder how slow things will get now if word of this sim spreads.
Pages: [1] 2 3