Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fiber Optic Outage Repair 2022  (Read 3756 times)

neil

• Reg Member
Fiber Optic Outage Repair 2022
« on: August 12, 2022, 01:39:12 PM »

Quote from: JBWR
Greetings. This video is a walkthrough on the emergency repair work involved in restoring broadband internet to an area. The fiber optic hardline was damaged by a construction crew and it was up to me and my team to fix the line as efficiently and effectively the first time.

What is discussed  is the splicing of a 288 count fiber to a temporary 432 count fiber. We go into entering the fiber, prepping the fiber and splicing the fiber. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mivt2EpeLM0

[Moderator edited to insert an attribution to the quoted text, as they were not Neil's own words.]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 05:14:52 PM by burakkucat »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Fiber Optic Outage Repair 2022
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 04:57:37 PM »

Thank you for posting the link to the video. It is always interesting to see how other countries "do things".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 11:16:27 PM »

I saw the earlier video on repairs. What country are they filmed in?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 01:32:56 AM »

I saw the earlier video on repairs.

B4RN had one after they had a break when iirc mice took up residence in the duct.
This goes into a bit more technical details.

What country are they filmed in?

USA
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2022, 08:43:09 AM »

I think all my cats’ release vermin over the years have migrated into the walls and have been gnawing at things they shouldn’t. Some electric sockets don’t work suddenly. Janet thinks that Thomas has piped into an electric socket though and I think she has evidence of guilt; it’s maybe more than mere supposition.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2022, 07:48:32 PM »

I think all my cats’ release vermin over the years have migrated into the walls and have been gnawing at things they shouldn’t. Some electric sockets don’t work suddenly. Janet thinks that Thomas has piped into an electric socket though and I think she has evidence of guilt; it’s maybe more than mere supposition.

That's rather concerning, I hope you can afford to get them checked as an electrical fire is no joke.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 03:00:54 PM »

You do hear of rodents chewing wires if they are in their way.
 Do they not get shocked if they bite into a live wire?  I would assume that the wiring is live?.
Would they not get fried...  and if so, I imagine the small would soon get quite bad  :sick:

Unless Thomas has access and he removes the evidence.   :D
That then begs further questions.  Such as would a cat consume a crispy mouse.  Hunting, trapping & kill is the sport.  No much fun trying to hunt a mouse thats dead and doesnt move, retreat, react or play.  My cats will ignore a dead bird, but say if its windy and that causes the feathers to move only then may it be worth a second look.  I dont think any of mine have ever been interested in dead prey unless its something they recently caught and they'll toss it around for a while.  Exceptions being bringing home half a cooked chicken, largish joint of roast beef.. and a whole side of poached salmon!
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2022, 03:21:21 AM »

You do hear of rodents chewing wires if they are in their way.
 Do they not get shocked if they bite into a live wire?  I would assume that the wiring is live?.
Would they not get fried...  and if so, I imagine the small would soon get quite bad  :sick:

Depends if they only nibbled through one wire, leaving it floating.  That could be pretty bad as it would break a ring-main circuit making it easy to overload the cable and nothing back at the consumer unit would prevent it.   Although the socket would still work in that situation unless they've done something weird and nibbled two different ones just right to isolate a single socket.

Its one reason I don't understand why we still use ring circuits in the UK, if the ring breaks you have no way to know until the wire melts from being overloaded, and your house is potentially on fire at that point.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

neil

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2022, 04:21:20 AM »

I got fiber in my city too but not in my area   :'(
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 05:07:41 PM by neil »
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 08:57:10 PM »

I always just thought that we use rings for mains in order to get double the current-carrying capacity for no extra cost of additional wire.

It’s amazing what rodents will do. Janet kept my old Toyota in the garage for many years after I could no longer drive and in the end the rats moved in and ate all the electrical wiring. Years before that the rats ate all the control cables that belonged to a lawn mower stored in the small shed over the winter time. Now we have an organic deterrent - the "Thomas device" - who killed six rats in a couple of months around July/August, a few years ago. After that Thomas just looked at Janet as if to say, "I’m completely full-up" - "couldn’t manage another rodent."

Regarding rats electrocuting themselves - I have often been asked about birds landing on high voltage cables. Rats or birds are fine as long as they don’t establish a current path for the newly discovered high energy source to get to the planet. The energy source is called ‘potential energy’, in the terminology of physics, and in laymen’s slangy terminology popularly known very approximately as ‘voltage’. And understandably the universal dumping ground around here that we use for for all loose electrical energy, is the so-called ‘earth’. Once this path between the high potential energy point and the planet earth itself becomes established then suddenly your bird/rat/victim is well and truly done-for/fried. Now what might save the rat or bird aside from simply not having such an unwise path around is a good pair of insulating gloves or boots or a mat to stand on and that’s all it takes to avoid death.

Pondering on what Alex was saying, one thing that I really don’t like at all is the possibility of rats eating through one ring mains conductor alone. If the rats ate enough copper to completely disconnect a socket or something then we would know about it because something would stop working. But if it’s only partial, then there is the possibility that the damage would not be noticed and so then the users would go on unawares but losing the double current rating effect, which is not so good. I need to think more about that.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 09:36:26 PM by Weaver »

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2022, 12:19:12 AM »

Rings are cheaper and easier to install than a star.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.