Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Do all the ISP's use the same VOIP setup?  (Read 3498 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Do all the ISP's use the same VOIP setup?
« on: August 09, 2022, 08:44:32 PM »

I was thinking rhetorically earlier and wondering, if I wanted in to future to change ISP's, I'm on BT, what would happen with the phone situation?

I think most people will be using the ISP's own VOIP service. I'm thinking I'd hold my number if I transfered to another OR FTTP connection? But if I moved to say CityFibre, would I lose my phone number during transfer?

I know having a separate VOIP is the best way to go.

I suspect the majority of people will just assume they can move around without problems. It was simpler when it was only OR and VM running separate networks.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Do all the ISP's use the same VOIP setup?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 10:24:33 PM »

There will be a new “one touch” switching process coming into force from April 2023 to help customers changing physical networks

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-2/simpler-broadband-switching

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 11:22:35 AM »

That is a good thing. Because I can see the moving between ISP's and Networks and its connection to VOIP as the next big issue. So its good they are already looking at the situation.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 03:42:11 PM »

What about the many consumers that have not only bundled their landline VoIP number with broadband, but have also bundled in TV packages/subscriptions, and multiple mobile phones for the family all in one contract?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 08:16:19 PM »

That's clearly deliberate to make it too complicated to leave.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 03:54:04 PM »

I was thinking rhetorically earlier and wondering, if I wanted in to future to change ISP's, I'm on BT, what would happen with the phone situation?
There's two issues really. Firstly number porting, can you move your number to a different provider?  Secondly technical compatibility, can you reconfigure your existing hardware to suit the new provider? Like with ISP-provided DSL routers even if the technical standards are the same, the hardware might be locked so it can't be reconfigured.

I suspect the best way is going to be using an independent SIP service, a bit like email where people initially just used their ISP's provided email service, but nowadays people don't want to change address if they change ISP.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 09:27:45 AM by aesmith »

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 08:59:25 PM »

Have a nightmare with wrong numbers on my current number. So the last thing I am going to do is port!
But can see the pain for parents with two or three kids and multiple phone contracts!
Dwight1379