Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone forcing MTU1500 on Zen FTTP (OPNSense)  (Read 2582 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Anyone forcing MTU1500 on Zen FTTP (OPNSense)
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2022, 05:20:24 PM »

Seems you can, or at least pfSense itself can.

Not sure whats going on there, you somehow have it assigned and unassigned at the same time.  igc0 is assigned to your WAN but also available to assign to a new interface.

Try adding a new interface without using up a host interface, for me its impossible.

Looks like something is broken on both opnsense and pfsense allowing these to become detached.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 05:22:39 PM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2022, 01:05:11 AM »

Its complicated, as I did have a VLAN assigned on that interface with untagged traffic for ppp and tagged connected to the LAN, so I could access the OpenWRT UI of the router without the risk of broadcast traffic slipping out the PTM bridge.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2022, 05:41:33 PM »

I have the same issue actually, igb2 is allocated twice in the list which is why i didnt see it under available, how odd.  Although in my case everything is behaving normally, but it seems odd nevertherless.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2022, 12:59:12 PM »

It kinda makes sense on some level, as PPP is effectively a virtual interface that is created/destroyed dynamically and (as I understand it) is pretty much blind to what interface its actually running on, all it cares is packet goes out, PPP server responds and connection established.

When you think about the fact PPP can do multi-link it makes even more sense, it would have connections over multiple real interfaces that presumably show up as a single PPP interface?  So it wouldn't make sense to treat PPP as taking over the interface, its not working in the same part of the network stack.

Basically, as the PPP interface is independent of the NIC itself, so far as the network stack is concerned there is no protocol running on that NIC (eg TCP/IP), so its effectively unallocated.  The only caveat is changing the MTU, presumably why they decided to just include this automatically based on what you set for the PPP interface.

Its always fascinated me how this works actually and why I used VLANs to talk to my bridge-modem when on the same port.  As I figure if you use it with untagged traffic too, then surely anything destined to that port will leak over the WAN bridge?  Broadcast traffic specifically would surely go right out the telcos network?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 01:10:40 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]