Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Slow Authentication on Huawei Cabinet  (Read 1030 times)

rbz5416

Slow Authentication on Huawei Cabinet
« on: September 09, 2022, 09:53:39 AM »

I have an issue with slow authentication/PPoE timeout. Regardless of what modem/router is installed at my end, it takes a good three or more for the connection to authenticate. Even with an HG612 installed. When questioned when addressing other issues some OR engineers have said that's just how it is with Huawei cabs. Is that really the case or is there an issue here that could/should be addressed?

It's not the end of the world but rather annoying, especially when added to the time a router takes to reboot. In the case of using a router's wizard to set up a new connection for the first time, this usually fails as the router times out while waiting.

ISP is currently BT but the issue has also been present with others.

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Slow Authentication on Huawei Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 10:19:54 AM »

I'm confused by the post as you mention PPPoE which has nothing to do with the cabinet.

The cabinet handles sync, nothing else. Once synced it's your provider that does PPPoE authentication usually many hundreds of miles away from the cabinet.

Huawei cabinets take an almost identical time as an ECI cabinet to obtain sync.
If your cabinet has Vectoring enabled this makes syncing take quite a bit longer.

Only Huawei cabinets support Vectoring but it isn't enabled on many cabinets.
Vectoring was only used on some specific cabinets that were funded by BDUK to help the properties passed with Superfast figures.
So for any engineer to say that's just how Huawei cabinets are is complete nonsense.

If your cabinet has Vectoring this is why it takes a while to sync. There's nothing you or anyone else can do about it.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 11:14:08 AM »

How often are you rebooting a router for this to be a problem?
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 11:58:39 AM »

I think my Zyxel VMG8924-B10A takes about 3 minutes total from power being applied to the internet being available. A lot of this is the time taken for the router to boot of course.

Looking at my router logs the last time the whole connection dropped the VDSL sync part took 27 seconds to re-establish with PPP being established 31 seconds after that. It might be a little longer than that as I suspect there is a few seconds between the connection dropping and the router logging it but it's nowhere near three minutes total.
This is on a Huawei cabinet without vectoring.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 12:12:13 PM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

rbz5416

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2022, 02:15:39 PM »

If us plebs knew exactly how it all worked & the correct terminology, we probably wouldn't need to come here to ask you guys!  ;)

According to the router (Fritzbox) log it takes around two minutes for DSL sync to be reported. Then around 30s later it reports PPoE errors. Then around 30s after that it acquires an IP address & is good to go.

According the DSL stats G.Vector is set to full on both send & receive, is this what you referred to as vectoring?

As for some OR engineers saying the first thing that comes into their head...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 06:40:27 PM by burakkucat »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 03:46:05 PM »

Sounds like you do have vectoring on your cabinet (you lucky thing!) and that is likely why the sync takes a bit of time.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2022, 04:51:03 PM »

As above by j0hn and tubaman - vectored DSLAM's can take up to 5mins to come back into synch, a right royal pain when trying to work on a fault !!

Unless of course, I'm just saying the first thing that pops into my head.

rbz5416

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2022, 06:57:57 PM »

Thanks guys.

Unless of course, I'm just saying the first thing that pops into my head.
:D