Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Errors from apt-get in Raspbian stretch  (Read 3731 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Errors from apt-get in Raspbian stretch
« on: September 27, 2022, 10:08:27 PM »

I keep getting the following bizarre errors from some server or other at a mirror:

Code: [Select]
E: Failed to fetch http://repo.xecdesign.com/pool/main/b/bcmrpi3-kernel-bis/bcmrpi3-kernel-bis_4.19.64.20190808-1_armhf.deb  Could not connect to repo.xecdesign.com:80 (80.85.84.120). - connect (111: Connection refused)                                                     
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?     
root@raspberrypi:~# apt-get update -y                   
Err:1 http://repo.xecdesign.com stretch InRelease                                         
  Could not connect to repo.xecdesign.com:80 (80.85.84.120). - connect (111: Connection refused)                                                                                     
Hit:2 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian stretch InRelease                           
Hit:3 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian stretch InRelease                             
Reading package lists... Done                                                             
W: Failed to fetch http://repo.xecdesign.com/dists/stretch/InRelease  Could not connect to repo.xecdesign.com:80 (80.85.84.120). - connect (111: Connection refused)                 
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.                                                 

I tried —fix-missing, didn’t help. Any help much appreciated and please forgive my total Linux ignorance. :-[

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Errors from apt-get in Raspbian stretch
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 10:26:13 PM »

Debian Stretch is old and no longer supported, so I guess the Raspbian Stretch repository is no more. Debian keeps archive copies of discontinued versions, so it's still possible to install Stretch, but there are no security guarantees and no updates.
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 10:31:46 PM »

I could do with getting a more modern AArch64 o/s, but (refer to old threads on the matter) I’m going to be stuck unless I can do an in-place upgrade and do it all remotely too, as I have no mouse, keyboard or display, since I can’t sit upright for more than a few minutes, as you may recall.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2022, 09:57:25 AM »

nano /etc/apt/sources.list
change all stretch references to buster
apt update
apt dist-upgrade

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 12:22:42 PM »

I did a sed on sources.list and visually checked that it was correct afterwards. Did a copy/paste of your remaining apt commands but same errors, and even so when I added a -y —fix-missing later. So this mirror is not helpful.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 12:35:55 PM »

Further to the very valid comments by "roseway" and "meritez".
I experienced issues updating or installing certain applications on my RPi's while running "Stretch" the Debian version before "Buster".
My solution at the time, all be it over 2 years ago now, documented here:
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,24689.msg415287.html#msg415287

May or may not still be relevant/helpful with respect to the issue as described by "Weaver".

I'am now inclined to stick to Raspberry Pi OS (currently Debian Bullseye) on my devices, installation of 32 or 64bit OS using RPi Imager utility is much easier now with respect to pre-configuration of SSH, VNC, Wi-Fi etc. for a head less setup. 
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 10:38:44 PM »

So do you think it’s feasible for me to in-place upgrade my Pi’s o/s to a new ARM64 setup that is headless from first boot? That’s the killer: if I can’t immediately SSH into the new o/s when it’s installed, then I’m dead, would have to then send the flash card off to some kind soul in order to be rescued.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2022, 10:39:59 AM »

So do you think it’s feasible for me to in-place upgrade my Pi’s o/s to a new ARM64 setup that is headless from first boot?

Yes, using "Raspberry Pi Imager" to flash your chosed program varient there are easily accessable and user friendly options to pre-configure the system for headless/Wi-Fi access, available here:
https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/
I use with Win 10 but MAC/Linux versions are available.

Was possible to access some of these pre-configurable options in earlier revisions of RPi Imager utility but was more difficult to access.
Using alternative SD card flash utilities such as "Balena Etcher" it is still possible to modify configuration to enable headless acess via SSH, provide Wi-Fi details, configure display resolution etc. but is more difficult and assumes some level of program knowledge.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 01:34:21 PM »

So do you think it’s feasible for me to in-place upgrade my Pi’s o/s to a new ARM64 setup that is headless from first boot? That’s the killer: if I can’t immediately SSH into the new o/s when it’s installed, then I’m dead, would have to then send the flash card off to some kind soul in order to be rescued.

I assume by 'in place' you mean across the network without having to remove the SD card, in which case I'm not sure you can. Do you not have access to a device with an SD card reader that will enable you, or Janet with your guidance, to re-image the SD card?
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 01:44:39 PM »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2022, 05:52:44 PM »

Tubaman - are you thinking of a laptop or desktop machine ? I’m afraid not. I can’t type on a laptop in bed and I can’t sit upright for more than a few minutes, depending on how I’m doing. Sometimes, it’s less than 5 minutes upright tolerance time, when things are bad.

Could I use a Raspberry Pi to write a card?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2022, 07:49:54 AM »

Tubaman - are you thinking of a laptop or desktop machine ? I’m afraid not. I can’t type on a laptop in bed and I can’t sit upright for more than a few minutes, depending on how I’m doing. Sometimes, it’s less than 5 minutes upright tolerance time, when things are bad.

Could I use a Raspberry Pi to write a card?

I was thinking of a laptop or desktop machine but I suppose a Raspberry Pi could write to a card using an external writer. It's not my area of expertise so hopefully other members would know.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2022, 03:24:39 PM »

Have never tried writing a RPi program image to SD card using another RPi, in theory should work, "Raspberry Pi Imager" is installable on RPi OS, see link to Raspberry Pi Org in Reply #7, that's assuming that a suitable USB/SD card adapter is available and is recognised by the RPi.

I do have a currently unused RPi-4B running the latest RPi OS (Bullseye) on the bench at present and an available USB/SD adapter, will try to get time to experiment with this and advise results.

Currently very busy with my Shelly EM energy monitor which has worked faultlessly for many months until I decided to move one of the CT's which involved disconnecting/reconnecting, I foolishly did so without powering down and reconnected after installing the CT on an active, flowing conductor, have at least "bricked" the CT, which appears to have integral active circuitry, and possibly the EM unit as well, still under test.
A lesson learned, always read and digest the "small print" in the instruction manual  :-[

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2022, 05:11:46 PM »

On checking my RPi-4B running the latest RPi OS (minimal desktop version) found that "Raspberry Pi Imager" is installed by default under "accessories" from the GUI.
However, it's really, really clunky and the GUI runs painfully slowly by comparison to Win 10 on my RPi-4B with 2GB RAM, can just about get set up to write an image with a lot of patience, have copied the image file across the LAN to the RPi in preparation for attempted writing, can download directly within the process but as the interface is so slow though it best to pre-copy the image file to the RPi.

Can't currently find a USB/Micro SD adapter, my desktop PC's have in-built Micro SD slots, so can't progress any further.
Have ordered a USB-3/Micro SD adapter from Amazon, will update when on hand.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2022, 08:31:28 PM »

With the USB-3/Micro SD adapter being on hand today can report that "Raspberry Pi Imager" does work on my RPi-4B, 2GB RAM, running RPi OS (Bullseye) and writing an image of the same program to a 16GB Micro SD card via USB-3 adapter both from an image file pre-copied to the RPi and directly on line via the utility, very little speed difference.

Imager GUI is still painfully slow and clunky as previously reported but gets there eventually with patience.
The actual writing/verification process is just marginally slower than my normal method, Ryzen-5 DT PC running Win 10.
However, the Imager GUI on Win 10 PC is much faster and certainly easier to navigate.