Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Oversimplification and kinda misleading video?  (Read 3982 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Oversimplification and kinda misleading video?
« on: August 04, 2022, 10:20:38 PM »

Is it just me, or is a lot of what they're saying in this video utter BS?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0A-FIyzt1I

I'd argue we have LESS issues than we used to, its just when we have them they tend to be much bigger in scope as one little router misconfiguration can take a big CDN down completely.  But botched routing tables is nothing new, I remember several times its happened over the years I've been online.

Considering the sheer increase in attacks these days, its a miracle any of this works at all.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Oversimplification and kinda misleading video?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 08:28:42 PM »

I honestly cannot remember enough of that far back to have an opinion if things are more reliable or not, although I do remember youtube used to be very hit and miss before google ploughed money into it.

The video to me seems like they needed filler content, clutching at straws with everything they said.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 05:49:55 AM »

Hard to say for sure...  but from own personal experiences I'd tend to agree that there are less of the smaller type problems but there are and have been some quite large ones that hit headline news.

He brought up the final mile....  which in the UK has seen huge investment, so I don't agree with that bit.  21CN was multi-million investment. WDM technology has given us vast increases in the backhaul capacity and put an end to the days when bandwidth cost £1 per GB and regular peak time congestion being a regular experience. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 05:07:06 PM »

Yep the ADSL Max days were dark days for the UK only made tolerable by the LLU providers of the day, Ukonline, BE etc. so glad we are done with that era now.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 05:22:07 PM »

I still remember the horror of moving from Be to ADSL Max, lost a lot of speed due to no longer being able to push 3dB SNR.

Of course that was nothing like moving from Digital Region, back to ADSL2 because Openreach couldn't seem to get the tag off my line to order FTTC without doing that.

It kinda boggles to mind to think of my Internet journey, something along the lines of:
14.4K, 33.6K, 56K, 500K, 1Mb, 2Mb, 5.5Mb, 3Mb, 40Mb, 99Mb, 3Mb, 80Mb, 915Mb (landline speeds only, ignoring balancing and mobile)

Hard to say for sure...  but from own personal experiences I'd tend to agree that there are less of the smaller type problems but there are and have been some quite large ones that hit headline news.

He brought up the final mile....  which in the UK has seen huge investment, so I don't agree with that bit.  21CN was multi-million investment. WDM technology has given us vast increases in the backhaul capacity and put an end to the days when bandwidth cost £1 per GB and regular peak time congestion being a regular experience. 

Which is understandable, as small problems were less likely to notice seeing as the vast majority of sites are hosted by half a dozen CDNs/cloud providers so a glitch there has huge impact whereas a single data centre going down would go unnoticed by most people.  Even with that said, I feel like such problems get fixed a lot faster except the outlier situations where a data centre actually burned down.

Don't get me wrong, I have regular problems with YouTube, but that mostly seems to come down to their prioritising active channels/videos.  When you try to view a video that has very few views and especially if its old, it seems to take forever as I assume its having to pull it from archived storage to your local CDN cache at a very low priority.

As for last mile, even if you consider they're probably focusing on the US, bringing contention into a discussion about sites being down is plain wrong, its a different issue entirely.  My friend in Texas loses his DSL several times a year, but I don't think that's worse than its ever been.  Also his speeds seem pretty consistently okay, as I send files to him regularly and I can push his line speed - which is pretty impressive for how far away he is.  Interestingly since I moved to FTTP its far more consistent, the speed used to fluctuate a lot and just establishing the connection would be flaky, completely fixed since the move (not sure if FTTP related or switching backhauls).

The video to me seems like they needed filler content, clutching at straws with everything they said.

That's what bothered me, he seemed to include several comments that weren't relevant to "sites going down", mixing the messaging.  Sadly, they always seem to do that on Tech Quickie.

I know the idea is to try to explain things so a less technical audience than their main channel, but I think they just confuse people more by spreading misinformation.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 05:37:38 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 06:23:33 PM »

Giving benefit of the doubt Canadian channel so the opinions might be coloured somewhat by the annual massive outages at Rogers. https://www.rcrwireless.com/20220711/network-infrastructure/canadian-telco-rogers-suffers-second-major-outage-in-two-years
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 01:37:54 AM »

Alex I think the youtube problem you mention is that google still use some slow storage on their platforms.

Common and new videos will be on fast caches, and old videos not viewed for a long time will be loading of slow storage.

I have noticed the same issue.  If I then repeat watch the same video making sure my own local cache is cleared, the video then loads fast as its then likely loading from a cache somewhere.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 07:05:13 AM »

Basically like I said, I'd expect they're using those dirt-cheap archive HDDs for videos barely watched which are really slow to read and likely has a backlog queue to deal with.  Anything recently viewed I'd expect to remain in the local cache for a while.

Its a perfectly understandable setup considering their vast archive.

anything