Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SoGEA FTTC 80/20 Service with dial tone or no dial tone  (Read 1973 times)

adslmax

• Kitizen
SoGEA FTTC 80/20 Service with dial tone or no dial tone
« on: August 09, 2022, 12:10:54 PM »

For those who never heard of SoGEA on FTTC before. At the moment my line is SoGEA with Fibre Broadband 80/20 with UnchainedISP but did ask the engineer who did my G.fast last year (no longer have that now) as he gave me his whatsapp number as he told me I can ask him any question if any problem with the service or any enquiries. I have asked him I thought SoGEA are supposed to be no dial tone on the line as my line still got dial tone even dialed 17070 and 999 and his reply below:
Hi there sorry for delayed reply!

In short... No, there can still be dial tone on a SOGEA/SOGFAST  line, it just means your service provider haven't stopped the tone yet. They typically do this within 30 days of a SO line going live however they may have made an error in actioning this... or if they did, maybe openreach didn't action it/couldnt be bothered

Point is, the line may even work, but your call package is through your router and you need not worry. Eventually, the whole country will have their phone lines provided through their broadband service and in that eventuality all Eside cables will be recovered and some exchanges shut down and in those instances your dial tone will of course disappear but to be completely honest, if I was on SOGEA/SOGFAST I would want my dial tone on the line as long as possible because when there's none, a lazy engineer might not check it thoroughly for your digital only signals and thus might 'utilise' it for his own job

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: SoGEA FTTC 80/20 Service with dial tone or no dial tone
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 12:23:04 PM »

Dial tones were already discussed recently.  Even once its removed it will periodically get enabled.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 01:27:13 PM »

I suspect it's mostly down to you still using the same line that used to have a phone service on it and the E-side wiring is still in place. I really wouldn't worry about it.
Also, please don't use '999' as a test number as those poor people are more than busy enough.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 01:34:18 PM »

I haven't dialed 999 cos I know I would get fined if I did call it and test it

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 04:26:24 PM »

I haven't dialed 999 cos I know I would get fined if I did call it and test it

Would you like a filter without a phone socket so you cant plug a phone in?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 10:57:41 PM »

I suspect it's mostly down to you still using the same line that used to have a phone service on it and the E-side wiring is still in place. I really wouldn't worry about it.
Also, please don't use '999' as a test number as those poor people are more than busy enough.

It was mentioned in the document regarding the "random voltage on the line" discussion that yes, it isn't always removed immediately.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 11:32:04 AM »

I migrated my VDSL BB & LL phone to FTTP from Zen to BT in March this year, the BT digital voice migration occured on the connection day retaining my LL number, however, having left an old analogue phone connected to the copper line noted that a dial tone remained on the line and only went completely dead within the last few weeks.

Checking 17070 on the old copper line advised a circuit number which by sequence was on my local exchange but not my LL number, ring back did not work and obviously could not make or receive calls on this number.
Never a concern, just a point of interest as my now digital LL has always worked perfectly since migration.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 06:55:58 PM »

What gets me is how much quicker VoIP calls connect compared to POTS.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 08:00:26 AM »

What gets me is how much quicker VoIP calls connect compared to POTS.

Do they, I'm pretty sure most of my POTS calls connect pretty much the instant I dial the last digit?

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 10:14:55 AM »

What's the call quality like on VoIP? Is it like a POTS call still?

I find the high quality of cell to cell phone calls very weird.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2022, 10:26:28 AM »

In my experience it far superior.  I guess it takes so little bandwidth not much can distort the audio.

Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 05:31:41 PM »

What's the call quality like on VoIP? Is it like a POTS call still?

I find the high quality of cell to cell phone calls very weird.

It varies based on what codec you are using.  I chose the newest and highest bitrate, higher than AAISP recommend.  For some bizarre reason they recommend a low-band codec over the high-band, I can only assume its because they're thinking businesses where the difference between 64k and 128k means half the call capacity.

I've never had a mobile call that was anything better than barely legible, I absolutely hate mobile calling.  It was soul destroying working in directory enquiries and getting a mobile call where you had to ask them to spell out what they said because you couldn't tell what it was, and it turns out to be Pizza Hut.  I actually never ended up giving them the number as they always hung up laughing hysterically at that.

I know HD Voice is a thing that SHOULD work, but I've never experienced it.  Its a big reason I preferred the landline and still favour VoIP so far, although the calls are also cheaper on VoIP as I don't do enough of them to warrant a mobile contract.

Annoying thing being there are unlimited calls on my Three SIM but it doesn't support calls via the CPE Pro 2, even though the router is capable of them.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 05:33:53 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2022, 08:48:02 AM »

I've never had a mobile call that was anything better than barely legible...

I find mobile calls incredibly varied in quality - anything from where it's like I'm standing next to the person, to it being virtually unintelligible. At least with POTS-POTS calls the quality is pretty much a given nowadays.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2022, 07:59:58 PM »

I find mobile calls incredibly varied in quality - anything from where it's like I'm standing next to the person, to it being virtually unintelligible. At least with POTS-POTS calls the quality is pretty much a given nowadays.

What gave me fear of VoIP a little are call centres.  I had some horrific calls even from POTS to call centres, where its just a jumbled mess.

But I guess if they're cramming everything down the same LAN using the least bitrate they can manage, possibly without any QoS on their switches, it could be pretty bad.

Also if the person on the other end is wearing their headset in a bad position for the mic to pickup their voice properly.

anything