Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach Modem  (Read 908 times)

mtlathome

• Just arrived
Openreach Modem
« on: July 26, 2022, 06:42:27 PM »

Hi all, So today my modem come from amazon, not 100% sure it's the correct model for a start, the modem ECI model number B-Focus V-2ub/r Rev.b  I can't even log in to this modem and it's only given me 169. IP address from it, it also has lan2 not in use sticker on it as well as BBU not in use is there anything I can do?

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
Re: Openreach Modem
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 06:55:48 PM »

@mtlathome  What modem did you mean to buy? In my earlier post I did say I wouldn't recommend the ECI one. You cant log into it is locked and is rather difficult to unlock to get any stats. It is plug and play and connects to the phone line and LAN1 to your router which should be set up with a PPPoE WAN connection.

mtlathome

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 07:31:01 PM »

I've posted a picture of the one that was sent out. I thought it was the hg612 version.... ::)

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 07:34:17 PM »

No that needs to go back as it’s an ECI not a HG612 not the same make, although the look identical
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

mtlathome

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 07:19:45 PM »

finally got the correct modem hg612 :drunk: which has been already been cracked :clap:, when I try to plug this into my pc to access the web interface from the modem 192.168.1.2 from IE or chrome it's not working. so I've typed into command prompt ipconfig and I'm getting 168.254... IP address I've tried this on two computers already with the same problem. is this just a bad flash on this or something should I send this back? is there anything  I can do? DHCP is enabled I've tried formatting one of the pcs. this thing is starting to become a bit of a ballache.   :wall: :comp:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 09:35:59 PM »

To get issued with an IP address automatically, you need to connect your PC to something called a DHCP server, otherwise you set an IP address for your PC, phone, tablet or other kind of similar device by hand in the settings for the network interface. Your router will contain a DHCP server, so plug your PC into the router, not into the modem.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 10:07:48 PM »

Have you read the instructions for what you need to do AFTER the unlock? https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2022, 12:26:53 AM »

IPv6: What I said about DHCP was in fact me thinking about IPv4, and it probably doesn’t apply to your IPv6 addressing because IPv6 just ‘does the right thing’ and intelligently sets itself up with a number of IPv6 addresses for each network interface on your machine without needing a DHCP server, which is a great benefit in robustness. (There is a DHCPv6 too but it’s often not used at all and isn’t needed. Some corporate sysadmins for example like to use DHCPv6 for more control.)

mtlathome

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 11:50:38 PM »

woohoo, finally got it working, had to set a login name and password on my router. I've logged into the modem and seen there is QoS enabled is this meant to be enabled? is this so the lan port2 kicks in when you add rj45 into it?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 08:55:22 AM »

woohoo, finally got it working, had to set a login name and password on my router. I've logged into the modem and seen there is QoS enabled is this meant to be enabled? is this so the lan port2 kicks in when you add rj45 into it?

QoS throttles the upstream throughput by 1Mbit (probably to reduce buffer bloat), it can be safely disabled especially if you have QoS enabled on your router.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors