Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: CityFibre to upgrade networks to 10Gbps from April 2023  (Read 4499 times)

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
Re: CityFibre to upgrade networks to 10Gbps from April 2023
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2022, 09:44:17 PM »

Sharing with extended family and friends via streaming or file sharing is more dubious than storing off-site. Backups are legitimate under UK and US law however they're stored. Sharing with others is not.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2022, 12:26:18 AM »

Sharing with extended family and friends via streaming or file sharing is more dubious than storing off-site. Backups are legitimate under UK and US law however they're stored. Sharing with others is not.

True, but I'm not sure the storage providers will see it that way and its kinda hard to catch people sharing a video library unless they are allowing anyone access. (some people foolishly do this which must be a matter of time before they get huge fines)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2022, 01:08:48 AM »

I think I should clarify, these are recordings of games I play.

OBSS files encoded via NVENC are huge.  So I want to reencode to get the size down.

highpriest

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2022, 04:06:00 PM »

I have yet to see anyone on a symmetric FTTP service actually make use of the upload speed.

A few weeks ago, I had to use Google Cloud CLI (gsutil) to download around 332 GB of data from two separate Google Workspace instances. I then had to <do stuff> to the data and then upload it to OneDrive. Can't remember how long the download took (left it running overnight - but roughly 12 hours) but the upload took around 51 hours. With me praying that it won't disconnect midway as there is no way to resume an upload to OneDrive. I'd have had to start it all over again.

For a lot of complicated (network related) reasons, I couldn't get this working on a machine at work; gsutil just refused to work over a proxy for some reason.

I have VDSL and my line syncs at the maximum speed possible. In the "real world", that translates to around 74.5 Mbps down and 18.5 Mbps up.

If I had symmetric 1 gig up and down, that upload would have been fifty times faster, meaning it would have finished in about 1 hour. The download would have taken about the same (1 hour) instead of 12.

That's the difference it makes to people who need, and can use that kind of bandwidth. For the kind of work I do, and I now work exclusively from home, it is an absolute necessity now. Pre-COVID, I would have just done this sort of work from the office. Now, it's no longer an option. Not easily anyway.

Oh, and when I'm doing something like this and max the line out, everyone else at home suffers and has to fight for bandwidth. My wife works from home as well so I need to be careful.
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2022, 01:15:29 AM »

Oh, and when I'm doing something like this and max the line out, everyone else at home suffers and has to fight for bandwidth. My wife works from home as well so I need to be careful.

Precisely.  While the average household usage might not be that high, that's not taking into account users where its more important that it works or that typically everyone will be using it at the same time.

I frequent linustechtips forum, the number of times people complain of bad latency in gaming, those are exactly the kinds of people where having more bandwidth than they need is the most useful, as it keeps latency down.  Ideally, everyone would have more bandwidth than they ever need so buffering and packet loss would be rare, the majority of the time it wouldn't be used but its there to handle transients.

Another example I've used in the past is my own Fibromyalgia, the symptoms vary throughout the day so I might feel able to play a game RIGHT NOW and that game needs an update. (because you can guarantee auto-updates decided NOT to update that one game)  That update now downloads in about 10 minutes max.  When it used to take an hour or longer, I'd usually find brain fog/fatigue had kicked in by the time it had finished so I no longer felt able to play that game.

In a household working from home, its going to even be more critical as you point out, you don't want one persons usage to impact anothers.

I also frequent the Topaz AI forums, where a few people have suggested how useful it could be to upload a video to a cloud service to run the AI upscaling.  There is little benefit to that if the upload takes longer than the upscale.  I myself had to avoid any long upscales during the heatwave, if I could run it remotely then I wouldn't have had to (though in my case the cost would outweigh the benefit, but to a professional not so much).

There's probably a multitude of things we've not even thought of yet that might make it even more useful.  YouTube only became a thing once enough people had fast enough broadband to stream video, then the other streaming services.

To suggest that "nobody needs faster than x" is extremely short-sighted, its literally the progress in speeds (both broadband and computing) that has made the Internet what it is today, the good and the bad.  Every technological evolution has been mocked as "but nobody needs that", and almost every time we've found uses for it.  Because finding new uses is a process of playing with what we have to see what it can do.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2022, 11:14:48 AM »

I'm certainly not going to criticise anyone for wanting more bandwidth to home or office. Can't have too much.

On the topic in common with HS2 it's going to be about capacity rather than speed initially. Selling gigabit upstream over GPON is I'm sure placing the odd PON into congestion territory and XGSPON will relieve it without any need for work in the field.

XGSPON will be combining 2 PONs at the fibre exchange, feeding the combined overlay PON to an OLT port and the job's done. When XGSPON capacity starts getting strained decombine them or, more likely given how long that'll take, 25/50GPON time.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 11:20:39 AM by XGS_Is_On »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2022, 01:43:27 PM »

Can somebody explain. Is there hardware change involved in this or is it all outside the home.

If and when Openreach do it do they have to send a person round

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2022, 04:10:08 PM »

This is nothing to do with Openreach.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2022, 02:30:58 AM »

And no they wouldn't have to send anyone round. If Openreach do similar your current ONT will continue to work.
GPON and XGS-PON can co-exist on the same fibre.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2022, 03:31:45 AM »

I'd imagine when Openreach do it, they would do so for new customers ordering Gigabit or existing ones re-grading, to avoid having too many Gigabit customers on the same PON.  Unlikely to happen any time soon I'd expect.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2022, 10:03:26 AM »

This is nothing to do with Openreach.

I didn't mean to imply it did, just was curious in general about how it works

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2022, 06:04:26 PM »

But who - other than large businesses, are going to even want that kind of speed ?? Never mind having to pay for it ??

:giggle:

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2022, 06:04:49 PM »

I didn't mean to imply it did, just was curious in general about how it works

I misread. My apologies.

Pages: 1 2 [3]