Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: CityFibre to upgrade networks to 10Gbps from April 2023  (Read 4550 times)

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: CityFibre to upgrade networks to 10Gbps from April 2023
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2022, 03:14:44 PM »

I wonder why the phrase 'solution looking for a problem' always jumps into my head :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2022, 03:18:44 PM »

You need the infrastructure first before you think of ways you can use it.

With respect, I disagree ...... as would any business worth its salt.

You don't work your model on if's, but's and maybe's ... you work it to demands with a modicum of future-proofing thrown in.
Your scenario's may never, ever happen in the real world, or, it may be a very small percentage make use of a 1G symmetrical bandwidth. Fast forward 5-10yrs from now and demand may scale up from the customer, that is when you apply the future-proof hardware that was factored in originally.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2022, 03:25:53 PM »

Some people have cloud based CCTV, when I'm away from home I VPN into my home LAN.  You don't think it opens up a lot of potential to be able to be at a friend house and access your home LAN as if you are there?

How about a family with a Plex server they can share across the entire family in different locations, without transcoding the quality down?  It might not be a common use-case today, but it could very well be tomorrow.  You need the infrastructure first before you think of ways you can use it.

None of those need an upstream faster than 115 Mbps.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2022, 03:42:24 PM »

Is there any CityFibre presence in Scotland? (Since I read, did I not, about a possible deal between CityFibre and A&A ? If so then hopefully I could have a CF link and an OR link to A&A.)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2022, 03:51:42 PM »

Is there any CityFibre presence in Scotland? (Since I read, did I not, about a possible deal between CityFibre and A&A ? If so then hopefully I could have a CF link and an OR link to A&A.)

Yes, there's lots of Cityfibre in Scotland.
There's not a hope in hells chance of them rolling out to you though.

There's zero chance of you ever getting 2 separate commercial network operators rolling out to such a remote location.

Openreach are only covering you with FTTP because they are being subsidised by the R100 project to do so or I suspect even they wouldn't be covering you.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2022, 04:08:01 PM »

Thanks J0hn. That’s what I expected unless CityFibre might grow so huge as to challenge BT one day in the far far future. Is CityFibre in general an urban-only network in Scotland, not rural?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2022, 04:18:32 PM »

None of those need an upstream faster than 115 Mbps.

One 4K Bluray rip from Plex can do 60-80Mbit, Gigabit would allow an extended family to share the same library without the quality loss of streaming services and not having to be cautious of more than one person streaming at the same time.  It might not be something most people care about today, but I'd certainly do it and I'm sure I could find others who would too.

With respect, I disagree ...... as would any business worth its salt.

You don't work your model on if's, but's and maybe's ... you work it to demands with a modicum of future-proofing thrown in.
Your scenario's may never, ever happen in the real world, or, it may be a very small percentage make use of a 1G symmetrical bandwidth. Fast forward 5-10yrs from now and demand may scale up from the customer, that is when you apply the future-proof hardware that was factored in originally.

You mistake my point, I didn't mean this from the network perspective - I meant from the end-user perspective which in turn will drive the network.

Like I said, I totally understand ORs viewpoint on rolling out GPON because its a much cheaper starting point and right now enough for 99% of customers.  Then if demand for Gigabit starts to cause contention, they can roll out XGSPON on a PON by PON basis, that makes total sense on the scale OR are working on.

As an alt-net I can also understand how wanting to one-up the competition, and having a smaller rollout to OR, it might make sense to go straight to XGSPON.   No doubt there are contractual reasons such as 5G towers along the path, etc, that may make it more financially viable.  I can't see them doing this if there is no benefit to them.  Even if that benefit is just marketing, its good for them to be able to claim "faster than BT" and potentially get contracts with ISPs that want to sell faster services exclusively through them.  At the very least it could pull business contracts away from Openreach.

Personally I can't imagine getting 10Gbit as surely not going to be cheap, the cost of a router to push that would be insane unless I ditched pfSense.  However I might consider 2Gbit, and I certainly would rather have symmetrical Gigabit than 900/115 as it opens up interesting options for hosting my websites by proxying the content off my LAN rather than paying for more VPS storage.  Sure I could do that now, but its far more likely to impact my normal usage if I did.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 04:25:07 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2022, 04:44:14 PM »

I would need a faster switch first, then a faster router, and faster WAPs. What’s a good 10G small switch that can handle 10G copper, has some SFP, and 2.5 G and 5G copper ports?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2022, 05:18:13 PM »

<cough> Just a reminder that this topic was started in the "News Articles" section with regard to one service provider's plans. It is beginning to meander . . . so, I guess, someone will need to "make adjustments", in due course.  :)

What’s a good 10G small switch that can handle 10G copper, has some SFP, and 2.5 G and 5G copper ports?

I will suggest that you review the MikroTik Catalogue for ideas. (There does not appear to be version for 2021 or 2022, at the moment.)

Edit: Adjusted the link to point to the 2022 catalogue.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 06:12:07 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2022, 05:33:09 PM »

Indeed, meander acknowledged- mea culpa, and shifting this part of the thread sideways to a more appropriate place would be appreciated. MikroTik had already occurred to me.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2022, 05:35:31 PM »

I'm using the Netgear MS510TXUP but it sure wasn't cheap.  Handy though, as I'm now running the router off a 2.5Gbit port using PoE (officially the PoE splitter is only Gigabit but works fine at 2.5Gbit).
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2022, 05:20:07 PM »

CF need to get their 1gbit rolled out, hope this distraction doesnt take much resources away from areas currently been built.

If I ever do get CF installed here, I will be uploading my video recordings to do reencode's using the datacentre's electric bill then download again.  :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2022, 06:33:27 PM »

Why would it be a distraction?  All they've confirmed is they've upgraded the hardware they are rolling out.

If I ever do get CF installed here, I will be uploading my video recordings to do reencode's using the datacentre's electric bill then download again.  :)

EXACTLY!  No way I want to do that at 100Mbit upload.  I mean its a huge improvement, but it still took 10 minutes to upload a 10GB backup of my website.

With Gigabit you could establish a VPN between the two and remotely mount the drive, no need to even upload the file.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2022, 06:43:03 PM »

Not sure I get the use case to store files locally, if you have a fast WAN?

When WAN was bottle neck, computing / storage was local, but now its not, why store files/websites locally, just access them when you need them remotely via your fast download connection?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2022, 06:49:23 PM »

Cost and security.  Not to mention its kinda legally iffy for me to upload my Bluray rips to remote storage.

Ideally you'd want both a local and remote copy for backup purposes anyway though.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 07:26:31 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Pages: 1 [2] 3