Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Scotland R100 news  (Read 6832 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Scotland R100 news
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2022, 01:34:50 PM »

I think it’s about 12 miles to Kyle, Caol Loch Aillse, just over the bridge on the mainland. I suspect this means that BT can completely close the NSBFD exchange in Broadford once they get everyone off ADSL and POTS. I wonder if the fact that they will be deleting ADSL and POTS at some point will mean that we have to get FTTP in its place? Can’t just remove copper services and leave people with nothing, or can they? Universal service something obligation? What happens to that in a post-copper, post-POTS future?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2022, 02:12:17 PM »

Universal service something obligation?

USO is toothless. Theoretically it means that everybody has the right to request (but not necessarily receive) a 10meg or better connection. However in spite of all the blurb about upgrading networks and costs that might or might not be absorbed, all that is ever on offer is a 4G home hub at some ridiculous monthly price.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2022, 02:53:19 PM »

USO is toothless. Theoretically it means that everybody has the right to request (but not necessarily receive) a 10meg or better connection. However in spite of all the blurb about upgrading networks and costs that might or might not be absorbed, all that is ever on offer is a 4G home hub at some ridiculous monthly price.

You'll have to take my word on this - but that statement couldn't be further from the truth.  ;)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2022, 03:08:11 PM »

I suspect this means that BT can completely close the NSBFD exchange in Broadford once they get everyone off ADSL and POTS.

The plan is indeed for them to close most of their exchanges during/after the migration to FTTP.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2022, 03:10:12 PM »

I I suspect this means that BT can completely close the NSBFD exchange in Broadford once they get everyone off ADSL and POTS.

Out of the circa 5,600 Tel Exchanges nationwide, only circa 1,000 classed as 'Handover points'. I would hazard a guess that Broadford will be going  ;).

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2022, 06:01:23 PM »

Usually, 1 x PON = 120THP maximum, (8THP for future proofing, making potentially 128THP in total).

It is the number of SASA's in the splitter node joint, that create the actual PON THP number.
One SASA = one fibre = 32THP.

Forgot Openreach call up to 4 PONs a PON. Terminology is confusing.  ???

Scotland is spending some truly titanic sums per premises passed at the moment. Won't be that many they can't reach spending £14k per premises.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2022, 07:04:20 PM »

Forgot Openreach call up to 4 PONs a PON. Terminology is confusing.  ???

Ha ha - no - they colloquially call a PON, a PON. * pedants - we all know what the real meaning of the term PON is.

As above - most PON's will be maxed out at 120THP (customers), but with hierarchical approval, OR can sometimes take this figure up to 128THP. I've yet to see that happen, though.

What you are referring to to is what 'makes up a PON' - which is the amount of SASA's utilised. As mooted ... 1 fibre per SASA ... each SASA has a capability of 32THP, but usually only 30THP will be accounted for.

Terminology is everything.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2022, 07:22:46 PM »

For everyone else a PON is the network served by a single OLT network as everything is passive between the one active component at the provider side and the terminals/ONTs at the customers.

Hope that explains why I described it as up to 4 PONs. 1 fibre powered by 1 OLT port going through however many splitters to feed however many customers = a PON. What you guys call a PON is 1-4 of them where the splitters are colocated in a single place. Presumably easier for reference to refer to 4 splitter trays as a PON during build than 4 separate ones. You folks have aggregation nodes feeding PONs with up to 4 splitter trays in each serving the actual Passive Optical Network forming the network hierarchy.

CityFibre use Primary Nodes, Secondary Nodes and then cabinets from which the PONs spread out. Netomnia L0, L1, L2, L3 and L4 nodes.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2022, 07:28:28 PM by XGS_Is_On »
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2022, 08:39:34 PM »

It never fails to confuse me why Openreach define a PON differently to everyone else.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2022, 08:47:45 PM »

> Scotland is spending some truly titanic sums per premises passed at the moment.

It’s difficult as the distances are so very great. It’s something like 85 miles to Tesco. A five hour round trip drive. Janet was doing that every day, going to Inverness to the big hospital, back in January. Thank god Tesco now does deliveries. That service is very popular.

And the distribution of people is even more difficult in some areas; say, parts of the Western Isles (Na h-Eileanan Siar), parts of Orkney; am afraid I don’t know Shetland at all.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2022, 08:28:18 AM »

It never fails to confuse me why Openreach define a PON differently to everyone else.

Don't let it eat away at you, Alex - as explained above, it is a a colloquial term used amongst the OR workforce.

When 'you' are dealing with hundreds of 'Splitter Nodes' on a daily basis... it's far easier to reference them as a PON. Not once have I heard anybody say, "Ahem, well excuse me, I think you'll fin ........ ".

If you worked for OR, within 2hrs, you too would be calling splitter-nodes, PON's.  ;) 

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2022, 03:45:46 PM »

You'll have to take my word on this - but that statement couldn't be further from the truth.  ;)
OK let's just say that any address that I have checked has been offered nothing other than a 4G router.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2022, 03:56:34 PM »

OK let's just say that any address that I have checked has been offered nothing other than a 4G router.

You haven't checked enough then  :)

If the database thinks you can receive 10Mb/s downstream via 4G (even outdoors) then you will be offered a 4G hub and even an external aerial if necessary to reach 10Mb/s.
That covers the vast majority of the country.

There are still many many thousands of extremely rural properties that are well outside any possibility of reaching 10Mb/s via 4G and those properties are entitled to £3,700 to help bring faster speeds.
This can be combined with neighbours who also qualify and all put in a single pot towards Openreach FTTP.

Openreach have deployed a fair bit of FTTP from USO funding.

As you can imagine though, anywhere rural enough that doesn't receive sufficient 4G and isn't in a current SRN (shared rural network) rollout plan, will likely be very expensive to roll out FTTP to.

Many properties that qualify for USO funding don't meet the funding necessary to bring FTTP.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 04:05:57 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2022, 10:17:35 AM »

I have an unlimited 4G SIM with EE for £12.50 a month, that delivers 140Mbps with the right equipment.

That is perfectly serviceable for a lot of people I'd say. Of course, you need to be lucky enough to get decent 4G coverage, and I only have it with one of the providers.

AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller
Pages: 1 [2]