Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ofcom in action  (Read 2230 times)

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
Ofcom in action
« on: August 24, 2022, 10:48:22 AM »

Spotted this in the I-weekend paper

Sky has been warned to tell Pay TV customers when their minimum contract period has expired after a near 2 year investigation by OFCOM. The company received a slap on the wrist, avoiding any fine or other disciplinary measures apart from being told to change its practices.

A near 2 year investigation and the end result, nothing much. The feebleness of OFCOM strikes again. :(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Ofcom in action
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2022, 06:06:26 AM »

I agree.   To me, it also seems to have taken an awfully long time for them to conclude their investigations.....  and then let them off with a slapped wrist.

Sky's crime?

Sky is a ‘regulated provider’ within the meaning of General Conditions C1.21 to C1.29 and it is obliged to send end-of-contract notifications to its customers of those pay TV services.

By failing to send end-of-contract notifications to its pay TV customers, Sky has contravened, and continues to contravene, C1.21 to C1.29 of btwthe General Conditions (and their predecessor obligations at C1.10 to C1.15 of the General Conditions) from at least 26 March 2020. Ofcom has therefore issued a Confirmation Decision to Sky under section 96C of the Communications Act 2003.

This relates to Feb 2020
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/bulletins/competition-bulletins/all-closed-cases/cw_01254
It's not like Sky has much competition when it comes to satellite
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 07:20:04 AM »

Its all rather stupid, ALL services should be required to send end-of-contract reminders, regardless of their market position or business type.  Its not like its something that will dramatically increase their operating costs.

The problem here is Sky claim they shouldn't come under Ofcom rules, Ofcom claim they do, this would be a none issue if everyone played by the same rules for this.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 06:54:16 PM »

Our regulators in reality are soft regulators, they seem to be there now just to give the appearance, but their mandate is just to maintain competition in the market.

If it was a proper regulator it would never have allowed as an example to have inflation busting increases in contracts without a contract breach.  It claims to enforce availability of 12 month contracts on FTTP, but when I provided them a list of ISP's with no 12 month contract's on FTTP they pretty much told me they dont wont do anything.

What kind of incentive is it to take 2 years to investigate and then offer no financial penalty.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 07:45:43 AM »

>> ALL services should be required to send end-of-contract reminders

IMHO it wouldn't be so much of an issue if the price didn't substantially increase when your contract does.

I dislike the "New customer only" discounts where customer loyalty stands for nothing.  I also hate haggling and spending hours comparing products (The compare market sites dont give a full picture).  If , then you should still get a decent deal without something is good and you are happy where you are... rather than spend hours looking at t&c's and small print.

It's a topsy turvy world -  new customers are loss leader products with little or no profit.  They incur migration or new connection fees to Openreach, new hardware (modem router and whatever else they offer).  They require more support time from CS.  (eg setting up new equip, have more queries and may have transerred "to get better wi-fi" !!  ::)

>> is just to maintain competition in the market.

Thats what it likes to think.  I'm not so sure.   We've ended up with a handful of big boys who dominate the market because of their ability to offset practically zero-profit pricing during the initial period.  There used to be a heck of a lot more choice and some very good ISPs, but who cant afford to compete at such low cost.    The standard "compare" sites dont really help as they only list the big boy ISPs who pay them some quite generous commissions.    :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 12:30:18 PM »

What makes me laugh is my Three contract ended and they were in a real hurry to tell me "you might be able to get a cheaper contract if you renew", which of course is not true - a new contract is actually way more expensive.

I was actually surprised they said I will continue to be charged the same price + inflation adjustments each year or so once out of contract.  Its a refreshing change to most contracts where they just crank up the price as soon as the contract ends.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 01:45:51 PM »

Perhaps there should be some regulation in UK-based ‘compare’ sites to say that they have to include everyone, or at least have to include anyone who registers their details with them?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 02:19:30 PM »

I thought my end of contract notice from Three was pretty much OK.  It reminded me what I've been paying so far, confirmed that if I do nothing it will run on unchanged, and also reminded that I could not cancel or change provider without penalty.  The only criticism is that it's a bit silly that their suggested alternative plans were all more expensive or lower allowance, or both.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 02:22:06 PM »

Perhaps there should be some regulation in UK-based ‘compare’ sites to say that they have to include everyone, or at least have to include anyone who registers their details with them?
For electricity there are Ofgem Accredited comparison sites.
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/information-consumers/energy-advice-households/switching-energy-tariff-or-supplier