Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The moment you know you should walk away ...  (Read 2517 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: The moment you know you should walk away ...
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 02:39:09 PM »

It’s not certain that you need to understand QM properly to have a working ‘understanding’, albeit superficial, of QC. It’s you who have to decide.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2022, 04:37:07 PM »

The little I read I ran into the issue of "what is it useful for?", as they constantly mention how its not the same as conventional computing so cannot be used for the same workloads.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2022, 01:42:45 AM »

Quantum computers are not ‘Turing machines’, a term which we will (mis)use to mean very, very approximately ‘ordinary computers’, for our purposes here, and because of this dissimilarity, it may well be that the set of problems that quantum computers can handle is different from that which all ordinary computers can. Thanks to Alan Turing, Alonzo Church, and others, I forget, it has been proved that all normal computer architectures are as capable as each other when ‘capability’ is defined by the set of problems that these machines can solve given that the problems are chosen such that there are no limits on RAM. Different computer architectures may be faster or slower though, and different models may of course run out of RAM or total disk space allocated for virtual memory, which makes for another practical difference.

However, since imho QCs do not conform to the definition of a Turing machine, they may be able to solve new problems. So this is the source of much of the fuss about QC. Overwhelming speed advantages on certain QC-friendly problems is also extremely important.

(I’m using the term Turing machine not in the original, very earliest sense of Turing’s one particular theoretical design of an extremely simple machine, whose mathematics Turing studied. He did not build this machine. I’m using it in the very general sense of ‘the class of computers that are equivalent to the original machine in terms of what they can achieve’, as defined earlier.)

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2022, 06:11:29 PM »

And more on Quantum computing goodness  :lol: quite a light read  ;D about how Quantum Crytpo keys have been cracked by 2013 intel Xeon cpu, bounty was nice as well :), oh well boys back to the drawing board!
https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/03/nist_quantum_resistant_crypto_cracked/
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590
Pages: 1 [2]