Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Higher Speeds FTTP  (Read 3186 times)

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
Re: Higher Speeds FTTP
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2022, 12:59:52 AM »

I talk about how I don't see that much of a case for 25GPON then I find an article from Nokia talking up the merits of 25GPON with 50GPON coming later.

I didn't realise 50GPON can't co-exist with GPON, either. I stand corrected.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2022, 01:08:02 AM »

My apologies - how can you see that I might get FTTP sooner than the end of never? R100 ?

Yes, you will be getting FTTP via R100.

If you check your address at https://www.scotlandsuperfast.com/how-can-i-get-it/check-my-address/ you will see the result includes:

A new superfast connection is being built in your area. It's part of the Scottish Government’s Reaching 100% (R100) superfast broadband programme.

Based on the current engineering schedule your address is in scope to receive its superfast connection in 2025.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2022, 02:27:05 AM »

If "your area" means Broadford, Breacais and so on, near the main road, then I’m screwed as that’s the area that was already given FTTC a few years ago, and we got left out. The OR engineer told me that no one in Heasta (apart from me) gets more than 2 Mbps downstream / godknowswhat upstream. In my experience, one or two neighbours near me are slightly better than that, but not much.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2022, 04:20:29 AM »

If "your area" means Broadford, Breacais and so on, near the main road, then I’m screwed as that’s the area that was already given FTTC a few years ago, and we got left out.

It will include you.

https://www.scotlandsuperfast.com/how-can-i-get-it/check-my-address/ lets you search down to an individual property address to show what's in scope for R100

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2022, 08:39:38 AM »

I talk about how I don't see that much of a case for 25GPON then I find an article from Nokia talking up the merits of 25GPON with 50GPON coming later.

I didn't realise 50GPON can't co-exist with GPON, either. I stand corrected.

That certainly makes it more of a PITA to roll out.  No telco is going to want to have to replace all existing customer ONTs just because one new customer signs up for a faster service.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2022, 10:57:38 AM »

That website is very odd, doesn’t have my address in it and has my neighbour’s twice. I picked one neighbour and it just came up with some nonsense about a £5000 grant and no answer. Then I tried another dwelling right next door, and good news [!] - 2025, just as you said.

Derpy

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2022, 12:46:57 PM »

That website is very odd, doesn’t have my address in it and has my neighbour’s twice. I picked one neighbour and it just came up with some nonsense about a £5000 grant and no answer. Then I tried another dwelling right next door, and good news [!] - 2025, just as you said.

Having been through r100 I would say its not good odds for the £5000 grant person if they dont have a date. My street they rolled out plenty of capacity but 5 addresses (inc mine) were not on the plan and I only got it because I was the sole ducted person but the other 4 cant order. The Openreach guys said its madness as the work is done mostly and capacity is there, one of the addresses even had a small toby installed at the end of their drive as part of the street works but cant order.
Houses in all directions next to those houses can order as well but BT didnt enable because they were not being paid by r100 I suspect.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2022, 01:39:43 PM »

As you know, it would be politically unacceptable for Openreach to only do cities first - and some of those are actually harder to do then other areas.

Some properties like Weaver are being built via public money so have already been announced. I suspect that there will be a lot of other areas which have not yet been announced that will get FTTP before he does though.

Openreach announced a handful of exchanges a few weeks ago and I would expect they will announce more soon.

At their results presentation, they basically said that they are building faster than they expected and that take-up is also higher than they envisioned.

I wonder if/when Openreach will switch to installing XG(S)PONs rather than deciding to upgrade the network later. I imagine the cost differential is falling sharply given that other altnets are going straight to that..

Yep agree with what you said.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2022, 05:00:34 PM »

My apologies - how can you see that I might get FTTP sooner than the end of never? R100 ?

You'll probably get FTTP before me, all around outside our estate can get it, but as most of our estate is DIG they've skipped us, luckily Virgin managed to do what Openreach won't so at least we have decent speeds - just renewed for another 18 months, but I'd rather be on Openreach FTTP with a better ISP.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2022, 10:03:06 AM »

You'll probably get FTTP before me, all around outside our estate can get it, but as most of our estate is DIG they've skipped us, luckily Virgin managed to do what Openreach won't so at least we have decent speeds - just renewed for another 18 months, but I'd rather be on Openreach FTTP with a better ISP.

Fact check - your comment is simply not true.

OR will provide FTTP to the DiG PON's either if there's enough money left in the pot at the end of the Exchange full build, or, in the next Area 4 roll-out phase, with higher subsidies.

OR have a duty to ensure these subsidised programmes are cost-adhered to ... and every single, solitary penny spent is captured for audit purposes (internally/externally). 

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2022, 12:12:31 PM »

If you can't find your address, might be worth contacting them via their enquiry form to let them know..

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2022, 03:35:14 PM »

My small private housing development, approx 50 dwellings all UG POTS fed, all DIG as property ages range from 60 to 40 years old, was completely fibred by OR sub-contractors Feb/March 21, I was pleasently surprised at the time, thought we would be well down the pecking order in favour of more densley populated arial fed areas where the potential uptake for OR would be much higher.
Our area also has long standing cable availability back to the NTL days.

So as BS has said, certainly in this case, OR were willing to accept the challenge of more difficult/costly UG non-ducted fibre runs footway CBT's to property for potentially quite low uptake.
Ironically, low uptake seems to be the case to date, probably due to the long established cable availability and the age of most of the residents, quite a few of my neighbours have chosen to remain on ADSL2+, never even changed to FTTC all be it with quite long copper runs to the DSLAM.
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2022, 04:38:46 PM »

Appreciate the real-life endorsement, tiffy.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again - once an Exchange build is approx 50-60% into its construction, the managers of that particular build will look at its total running costs to see where they sit with A) the THP delivery required from the build, and B) the total build costs to date.

Decisions will then be made if the more costly PON's can, or need, to be brought into the current FTTP programme. A most senior OR individual (they don't come much higher), went ape when he spotted a gang working on a DiG estate (on a FTTP Rural programme), during one of his on-site visits around the UK.

Suffice to say, comms were quickly briefed out to keep the focus on current allowed spend. 

Pages: 1 [2]

anything