Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Does BT DV have an answer phone unit?  (Read 2972 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Does BT DV have an answer phone unit?
« on: July 28, 2022, 12:28:49 PM »

For some reason my dect phone setup, which includes an answer phone device, is starting to bug out.

When someone calls it'll ask them to leave a message but then cuts the call. So the caller thinks they are leaving a message but in reality the line is dead. So nothing gets recorded on the answer phone.

This might be a problem with the answer phone itself, as the device is fairly old.

But when looking at the BT DV devices they only seem to show wifi phones, and so far I've seen no physical answer phone device. They seem to want me to pay for a voice mail service.

Update:

So I found out it was BT's own voice service cutting in at the same amount of rings that I had set my answer phone for, 7 rings. So I got my answer phone working again by telling BT's voice mail to come in at 10 rings.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 12:42:24 PM by Bowdon »
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Does BT DV have an answer phone unit?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 04:23:46 PM »

Just to be pedantic on a couple of points, the BT DV phones are DECT, not WiFi and the 1571 service is free for DV customers.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 08:32:45 PM »

Just to be pedantic on a couple of points, the BT DV phones are DECT, not WiFi and the 1571 service is free for DV customers.

I didn't know that.

I didn't really know about the 1571 service until today.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 08:24:02 AM »

Does free include collecting the messages?
I wasn't sure so I opted to switch my service off, I have a DECT answer phone connected and prefer to use that anyway.

Made the mistake of not clearing a message before requesting switch off so I now have the green LED "message" indication which I can't clear.
Suppose I could switch the service on again, clear the message then switch off again or just wait and see if it clears itself in time. 
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 11:24:35 AM »

Does free include collecting the messages?

Yes, it's free to listen to your messages.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 11:27:56 AM »

The good thing about the voice mail service is when you pick up the phone, the dial tone beeps instead of the usual long tone. When it's beeping it means you have messages.

I guess it answers my original question, that people don't need a physical answer phone unit.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 02:17:10 PM »

Its a bit backwards for VoIP though, a normal provider would e-mail your messages.

Love that AAISP even let you record all your calls for those of us with issues remembering what was said over the phone the instant we hang up.

Still, I do see the merit in the BT service replicating POTS as closely as possible.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything