Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Can Centurylink modem work with ZTE 9806h DSLAM  (Read 2359 times)

ggeorgiev

Can Centurylink modem work with ZTE 9806h DSLAM
« on: July 27, 2022, 03:07:23 AM »

Hello,
I have few ZTE 9806h dslams which I use with H166, KD217 or HG612 modems, and all fine, or almost. But I wonder why I cannot make Centurylink C2100Z modem connect to the 9806h dslam in ptm mode with 17a profile, supported on theory on both sides.
Does someone know how to debug a ptm connection? I see no options on the modem nor in the dslam for printi/dump the ptm packets, proposals, etc.
Other Centurylink modems - C3000, C4000 are also of interest to me, but I assume they will have same problem on the dsl side.

Any idea of where to start debugging the problem is welcome.
Thanks, George.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Can Centurylink modem work with ZTE 9806h DSLAM
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 05:24:00 PM »

. . . I wonder why I cannot make Centurylink C2100Z modem connect to the 9806h dslam in ptm mode with 17a profile, supported on theory on both sides.

That is puzzling. Are the two end-points (the DSLAM and modem) actually in synchronism? If they are only ever reaching the "discovery" phase and never moving to the "showtime" phase then no further progress will be made.

I do not have any experience of either device and, likewise, I'm not sure if any of our regular members will be able to assist. But let's see if there are any suggestions forthcoming.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ggeorgiev

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 12:20:06 AM »

Hello,
Thanks for the comment. As I wrote, if someone can suggest of how to debug a ptm connection, i will do it. Is there some device that can spy on the connection? How the proposals and replies for a ptm connection look? Can the dslam or the modem be made to show some debug output? I see no options on the dslam side for this - but there is quite a lot of parameters/options on the 9806h that I do not know what they are for.
Is there some hidden options on the C2100Z modem?
Only open ports on the modem are for http and https, no ssh, telnet etc.

I can set one pair of dslam / modem accessible from outside if someone is interested to take a look on this.
Thanks, Geprge.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 09:30:35 PM »

All I have been able to find is the ZTE 9806H Data Sheet and the ZTE 9806H User Manual, Version 1.2.

ggeorgiev

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022, 03:57:00 PM »

Hello,
I did test Centurylink C4000LG, their latest DSL modem (I think) and it works perfectly with the 9806H dslam. I did also order Centurylink C3000Z for checking that model as well, will report once I receive it here.

One related question that I may ask on the forum: The C4000XG modem/routers have an sfp+ port, and I intend to use those with pon or active link sfp+ modules. Did however someone ever heard of an sfp / sfp+ module that connects to DSL? Theoretically this can be done - even if this looks like a donkey harness for a Porsche car.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 06:47:19 PM »

I did test Centurylink C4000LG, their latest DSL modem (I think) and it works perfectly with the 9806H dslam.

That is good news. Thank you for letting us know.

The C4000XG modem/routers have an sfp+ port, and I intend to use those with pon or active link sfp+ modules. Did however someone ever heard of an sfp / sfp+ module that connects to DSL?

A SFP(+) module can certainly be used with the C4000XG device for, say, a GPON link . . . an optical fibre from an OLT to the SFP(+) module.

I am not so sure if there are SFP(+) modules which will provide the interface for a service provisioned using two-wire, twisted pair, xDSL.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 05:02:35 PM »

For an answer to the latter query, above, please see the "Is there an SFP module that connects to DSL line?" topic.

ggeorgiev

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 04:22:34 PM »

Hello again,

Just to report: I received a batch of C3000Z modem/routers, and they work perfectly with the ZTE 9806H dslam connecting to the VSTEH card with 17a profile. They need to be instructed to use IPoE protocol, 17a profile and ptm untagged  on dsl line 1.

Thanks, George.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 06:45:28 PM »

Thank you for letting us know. It's always interesting to read about uncommon hardware (for the UK) and how it interoperates.