Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Bridgend Netomnia/Openreach Rollout  (Read 8600 times)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
Re: Bridgend Netomnia/Openreach Rollout
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2022, 08:36:58 PM »

I'm not going to comment on them "just doing easy builds" - I don't work for them so don't know how they do their build areas.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2022, 10:04:24 PM »

If you get the luxury of being able to sign up to an OR build ... I can tell you hand on heart that your installation will be dealt with as if you were the CEO of the company. It is THE biggest focus in our company.

If an alt-net has gotten there first, them's the breaks I'm afraid.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2022, 08:40:28 AM »

Overlay sounds like there's an issue with the route from the L4 to your house, no lead ins IE OR have just direct buried the cabling to your house, BS might be able to explain better on that though, build isn't really my area  :)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2022, 09:07:37 AM »

If you get the luxury of being able to sign up to an OR build ... I can tell you hand on heart that your installation will be dealt with as if you were the CEO of the company. It is THE biggest focus in our company.

If an alt-net has gotten there first, them's the breaks I'm afraid.

I'm more than happy to have OR, just need one or the other to turn up! :)

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2022, 10:20:21 AM »

I'm more than happy to have OR, just need one or the other to turn up! :)

In your case it'll be OR before NO unfortunately  :(

russo109

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2022, 05:49:49 PM »

Overlay sounds like there's an issue with the route from the L4 to your house, no lead ins IE OR have just direct buried the cabling to your house, BS might be able to explain better on that though, build isn't really my area  :)

Further update, I had a phone call first thing this morning from a local Netomnia engineer (he's been with them for 3 years - ex Openreach) wanted to pop across and have a look himself today. Apparently when originally planning the network, the designs of existing infrastructure showed a duct route to my property from the main pavement outside. The engineer had a look in my existing entry point (an old joint redifusion/BT box recessed in the wall behind our garage). He could just about feel a duct in the cavity and there was an existing blue draw string but unfortunately the duct was full of the old coax cables feeding the tv system - my house was/is the main distribution point for the street. He tried pulling the existing draw string and then used his rods from my side and the public road side but was blocked. It appears the duct has collapsed on my drive somewhere so cant be used. He was half tempted to cut the old TV cables and use them to pull through but as they had BT on them didn't want to take the risk for obvious reasons. To be fair to him he tried his best to try and get the new fibre in today.

Anyway it looks they will be running a new duct across my from garden now only about 3 m in the grass with a couple of paviors to lift up by the house edge. Once the agreements are in place he said he can get the civil teams there to start the works.

I must admit he was so much better than the subcontractors G Force Telecoms they are using who didn't even try to pull the existing draw wires back in October or didn't even get out of their van yesterday! I also just had an phone call from You Fibres installs manager this evening very apologetic and noting it has been escalated to a higher level within theirs and Netomnia's teams.

I know I still haven't got fibre into the house yet but feel they have at least tried today to use the existing route, so are hopeful for the final bit of the works now. The big difference was see an actual Netomnia engineer rather than one of their subbies!

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2022, 07:22:48 PM »

Further update, I had a phone call first thing this morning from a local Netomnia engineer (he's been with them for 3 years - ex Openreach) wanted to pop across and have a look himself today. Apparently when originally planning the network, the designs of existing infrastructure showed a duct route to my property from the main pavement outside. The engineer had a look in my existing entry point (an old joint redifusion/BT box recessed in the wall behind our garage). He could just about feel a duct in the cavity and there was an existing blue draw string but unfortunately the duct was full of the old coax cables feeding the tv system - my house was/is the main distribution point for the street. He tried pulling the existing draw string and then used his rods from my side and the public road side but was blocked. It appears the duct has collapsed on my drive somewhere so cant be used. He was half tempted to cut the old TV cables and use them to pull through but as they had BT on them didn't want to take the risk for obvious reasons. To be fair to him he tried his best to try and get the new fibre in today.

Anyway it looks they will be running a new duct across my from garden now only about 3 m in the grass with a couple of paviors to lift up by the house edge. Once the agreements are in place he said he can get the civil teams there to start the works.

I must admit he was so much better than the subcontractors G Force Telecoms they are using who didn't even try to pull the existing draw wires back in October or didn't even get out of their van yesterday! I also just had an phone call from You Fibres installs manager this evening very apologetic and noting it has been escalated to a higher level within theirs and Netomnia's teams.

I know I still haven't got fibre into the house yet but feel they have at least tried today to use the existing route, so are hopeful for the final bit of the works now. The big difference was see an actual Netomnia engineer rather than one of their subbies!

Lucky you! :)

So this, coupled with the fact that I now work for an altnet - And my sister recently having trouble getting FTTP installed to her new house has made me realise something, we had dial up in the 90's and very early 2000's - ADSL, ADSL Max, ADSL2/2+, then VDSL - I think we are all forgetting that these technologies all had one thing in common - Copper. We've been able to advance through all these technologies without massive change to the infrastructure between the house and the exchange. In fact, when you consider it, the distance was further out the earlier the technology - dial up meant you were probably calling in to some remote computer further than your local exchange, especially if you were calling a national ISP.

ADSL/Max/2/2+ all to your exchange, VDSL to the street cabinet, to the arguably inevitable point where we need fibre for the "last mile" from the street cabinet to each individual house - this is a humunogous undertaking when you consider we go from 10's of cabinets to thousands of houses in a town that need to get connected.

It's a massive challenge and I think sometimes we lose sight of that.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 07:47:45 PM by dee.jay »

russo109

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2023, 06:56:36 PM »

Ordered back in September, with planned install in October but blocked duct prevented install. Andrew from Netomnia tried everything to unblock the duct in December but was unsuccessful so was looking at remedial civil works.

Update Daniel and Andrew engineers from Netomnia turned up unannounced Friday, managed to unblock the duct, run the new fibre and complete the install.  Daniel was great, stayed late and finished off the install to a very high standard putting the router etc. to where I wanted it. Now connected at 941Mbps upload and 937Mbps download.

The Eero wifi is a bit patchy at the moment but will give it a few days before contacting Youfibre about possible additional nodes on the mesh system. I am getting better WiFi with my older orbi rbr50 and 2 satellites averaging 426Mbps upload/download everywhere on WiFi which is not bad! With the eero 6 Pro in the next room I'm getting 600Mbps but tails over quickly the further away you go.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 07:04:05 PM by russo109 »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2023, 09:13:20 AM »

Nicely done.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2023, 09:56:58 AM »

I have unlimited minutes on mine and my wifes mobile, yet she still wants a landline. I don't get it either.

To be fair I much prefer to use VoIP as I often have difficulty making out what people are saying over mobile, as I've never once had it initiate a HD Voice call.  VoIP also has the bonus that I can login to it using the PC should I decide that is easier.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2023, 12:38:36 PM »

To be fair I much prefer to use VoIP as I often have difficulty making out what people are saying over mobile, as I've never once had it initiate a HD Voice call.  VoIP also has the bonus that I can login to it using the PC should I decide that is easier.

VoIP is also useful in that you can decouple the physical location entirely - can use my "landline" number with MicroSIP sat at the desk in work. Fun times.

Definitely want to get into running my own VoIP server to do some more fancy stuff but no rush

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2023, 07:03:21 PM »

I looked into PBX but they all seem more complicated than they need to be and totally overkill.  I was going to implement some sort of call screening or have my Sipgate numbers be answering services only, but it just didn't seem worth the effort.

The fact AAISP can e-mail you a call recording of every call made also resolved one of the big things I needed, some way to go back and check I heard something correctly that was said on the call.

I only make calls on my mobile now to keep the SIM active.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2023, 10:28:24 AM »

Actually I managed to get the details into FreePBX pretty easily - the problem I had (and wasted far too many hours I'd care to admit fixing) was a problem of my own creation with pfSense - I'd installed siproxd but hadn't configured it, and it was clobbering all SIP traffic. I disabled it and managed to get it working over NAT (but had 1-way voice problem) and did try siproxd but ran into the same issue. In the end I admittedly gave up and just connected my SIP hardware directly to AA and to be honest I am quite happy with that setup. I might have another go when I migrate to the FireBrick I've got as AAISP give you all the corect config for that - so may well revisit that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything