Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Bridgend Netomnia/Openreach Rollout  (Read 8601 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Bridgend Netomnia/Openreach Rollout
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2022, 05:43:59 PM »

Nice, I can see many notices around Bridgend, but with OR's own website placing us in the "by 2026" bucket.. you can see why it's hard to see what they're up to...

Yeah you can't read too much into the targets as that's completion, as in everywhere in the plan covered.  Some of those could be somewhat rural so be done last.  Mine is due by 2024 but I went live a few weeks back.

Its not like they wait until everyone has been covered to switch it on, they want it going ASAP to start getting a return on their investment and leave less scope for an alt-net to beat them to it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2022, 09:41:56 PM »

Mate, you didn't come across as curt, apologies if my reply seems that way  :-\

There are many and varied FTTP roll out programmes, with Rural being just one of them - albeit, one of the main players.

The roll-out is done on an Exchange-by-Exchange basis, not a county borough basis.
So, for example ... in Bridgend County Borough alongside Bridgend Exchange itself being worked on under the rural programme, so is Maesteg Exchane and Pencoed Exchane, but currently Porthcawl Exchange is not. That could all change tomorrow based on numerous factors, and Porthcawl could get programmed in ??.

Like I've said many, many times previously on the forums and in PM's - somebody will have been first to get FTTP, someone will be last (probably Weaver  ;D ) - it is what it is. If you want to PM me your post code I may be able to look a little deeper for you.

Haha you weren’t either, all good mate.

I’m off the Aberkenfig exchange SWAAZ, FTTP does exist on my exchange - people in the next street have already had it years because there was no room to put a street cabinet… lol

It’ll come one day, of course :)

AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2022, 11:37:35 AM »

Hi again ...... Aberkenfig residents have a good few PON's that are FTTP active, but ... through the BDUK, LFFN, New Sites & Retro New Sites programmes.

The good news however, is that the rest of Aberkenfig is under the rural FTTP programme and just at the end of June this year, the manual surveys were created and input onto the systems. This is a definite step forward to the guys actually walking the PON's in real-life to validate these surveys, which is when the good stuff begins to happen.

Don't want to get your hopes up too high, as I have no idea of Wales roll-out plans. But it is absolutely, 101% a step forward in the right direction.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 11:51:35 AM »

Oh wow, that's awesome. Last time you looked for me there was nothing for me at all :)

Thank you :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2022, 12:19:51 PM »

Welcome, mate.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2022, 01:11:02 PM »

As this thread pertains to Netomnia...

There are contractors behind my street laying fibre into ducts as we speak...

bottlerocket

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2022, 10:43:06 AM »

I'm on the south side of Bridgend and Openreach have been done some cable pulls and duct work around here this week. Some of the streets nearby have fiber up the polls already. My g.fast has also significantly improved in the last few weeks - it was languishing at 100Mb/s or lower and is now back to 150Mb/s.

No sign of Netomia here, though I got a letter from them last December as, it seems, everyone in the area did. I contacted them at the time via email and couldn't get clarification on time lines. As with all of the roll out it seems it's done when it's done.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2022, 09:03:26 AM »

Yes, that’s very true.

I’m north of Sarn, there were loads of roadwork notices for Netomnia lately but that has all stopped. I even saw them putting fibre under the road behind me but not much activity since. The rollout is slowly expanding across Bridgend though. So I think you are right, it’ll be done when it’s done.

Hoping OR will move north up here too shortly. Would be good to be able to get AAISP FTTP via OR if I can.

russo109

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2022, 03:35:34 PM »

I live over the Coity end of Brackla by the Hunters Lodge. Saw a couple of Netomnia contractors pulling fibre outside my house two weeks ago, so filled out an enquiry form and got called back straight away. Have signed up for a 1Gig  and was given a forecast install date in November. I had an email last week booking in the engineer's install for the 10th October! Apparently they will check and run the fibre to outside before this date so fingers crossed the existing ducts aren't blocked  :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 01:22:39 PM by russo109 »

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2022, 08:56:24 AM »

Excellent news, will be keen to hear of your experience once you have it.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2022, 09:16:16 AM »

I live over the Coity end of Brackla by the Hunters Lodge. Saw a couple of Netomnia contractors pulling fibre outside my house two weeks ago, so filled out an enquiry form and got called back straight away. Have signed up for a 1Gig  and was given a forecast install date in November. I had an email last week booking in the engineer's install for the 10th October! Apparently they will check and run the fibre to outside before this date so fingers crossed the existing ducts aren't blocked  :)

Yep the installers will run the drop cable to your property and check there's light etc at the CBT ready for the actual install into your house. (ONT install etc) Usually a couple of weeks before the install date incase there's any issues they can get sorted in time.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2022, 10:57:19 AM »

Looks like OR are really ramping up around Bridgend now. Vast swathes of Cefn Glas now peppered with OR roadworks notifications, and now I see new ones for ducting close to where I live where FTTP already exists, presumably for them to lay more cables in the coming weeks.

russo109

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2022, 03:50:11 PM »

Yes interesting re Cefn Glan. I see there MJ Quins/Openreach works planned by me in Brackla for next week laying ducts and Ts etc. After seeing Netomnia here a couple of weeks ago its looking positive for FTTP now. It looks like a bit of competition has stirred up the market in my postcode.

I've signed up with YouFibre with a planned installed date of 10/10. The only slight disadvantage with YouFibre is they are the only ISP offering on the Netomnia cable whereas with Openreach cable you have a few suppliers who will use their fibre. Netomnia is cheaper than the rest and offer symmetrical speeds.

Hopefully they will have no problem with getting the fibre into my house! My house was built in 88 so has the old metal rediffusion box recessed into the wall at the back of the property which houses my incoming BT cable and also a huge Coaxial cable/splitter for the old cable TV system. I'm guessing  the housebuilders spec at the time called for ducts to be provided but there is no signs of a visible duct anywhere so I assume it comes up through the wall cavity direct.

Apparently, the telephone cabling system in Brackla used aluminum cables due to the copper shortages in the 70s hence why we have also struggled with broadband speeds here until the advent of FTTC and FTTP

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2022, 03:46:45 PM »

We have had them in the Wrexham area already! Saw a group of surveyors in Johnstown. Late to the party but at least we will get even more choice.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2022, 07:45:45 PM »

Spotted a roadworks notification in North Cornelly - definitely a good sign that they are rolling out across the county, not just the town.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

anything