Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Bridgend Netomnia/Openreach Rollout  (Read 8602 times)

LukeW

Bridgend Netomnia/Openreach Rollout
« on: July 25, 2022, 08:06:54 PM »

Hey forum!  ;D

I was hoping perhaps someone here would be able to shed some light on Netomnia/Openreach's rollout plans.

I live in the CF32 0QL postcode area, and received a letter from Netomnia in December last year letting me know they intend to rollout their network here.
Since then it's been radio silence, and it would appear that to make matters worse the Vale of Glamorgan (my council area) doesn't put roadworks information on one.network (or there's no roadworks at all, which I think is somewhat unlikely :D)

BT's rollout is stated to be completed sometime between now and December 2026, which doesn't inspire too much hope, made ever more frustrating when you notice nearby newbuilds all being FTTP equipped.

I understand it's not too likely anyone has much information, but there's no harm in asking right?  :fingers:

Thanks all!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Bridgend Netomnia/Openreach Rollout
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 11:24:08 PM »

Have you looked to see what the "Better Internet Dashboard" shows for your address?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

LukeW

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 02:37:35 AM »

Hi,

I did have a quick look, it just says BT Openreach FTTP is planned, but I'd love to know where it's getting that from.

It says YouFibre (which I assume is Netomnia) is unplanned, but this would perhaps go against the letter from themselves?

I've attached a screenshot of the Better Internet Dashboard, seems to have the same issue with the council as one.network, not showing any roadworks.
(Not my address in the screenshot either)

What do you think?

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 08:24:04 AM »

Morning Luke - I am in Bridgend too. I've been following their progress over the past few weeks. The way this is working is that Netomnia do the actual cabling works, and then YouFibre sell you the broadband.

From reading press releases over the past few months about this, I found a post from their CEO (Jeremy Chelot) stating that their plan is to start rolling out from the Bridgend exchange and work out to the other ones from there, the plan is to roll out to the entire county of Bridgend. Following BIDB - Broadlands, Brynglas and some of Wildmill have been completed in Bridgend already. I live at the very north of Bridgend and noticed that there were some roadwork notices for the main roads, and they've been slowly working their way north with all the "clearing blockage" notices.

So, I would expect them to finish Bridgend first, then start working outwards...

EDIT: Netomnia is nothing to do with Openreach by the way. I don't think OR are rushing - though BIDB shows many roadwork notices in Brackla and most of Broadlands has OR FTTP already (As well as VM.../sigh)

EDIT2: I think it'll change from unplanned when it gets closer... like everyone else we just have to bide our time.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 03:30:21 PM »

I've attached a screenshot of the Better Internet Dashboard, seems to have the same issue with the council as one.network, not showing any roadworks.
(Not my address in the screenshot either)

What do you think?

If you scroll-out, you will see there is some action to the northwest of the marker on that map. But, as you say, nothing in the immediate vicinity.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

LukeW

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2022, 12:48:01 AM »

Yeah, there are some roadworks down for Openreach just over the council border, so I can't imagine they just stop there.
See how they're sorta leading along the roads, and then just stop?

LukeW

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 12:50:30 AM »

EDIT: Netomnia is nothing to do with Openreach by the way. I don't think OR are rushing - though BIDB shows many roadwork notices in Brackla and most of Broadlands has OR FTTP already (As well as VM.../sigh)

Sorry for the confusion, I was just curious about Openreach's rollout, since on the bidb it notes the area having Openreach FTTP "planned", but beyond that I can't seem to find any information on their plans

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 07:23:18 AM »

Openreach do not disclose their plan, its basically rolled out where practical and seemingly just doing the easiest areas first.  Of course that's easiest for them based on many things we are not privy to.

Its not like the other networks are really any better.  CityFibre claim they do whole cities but apparently that doesn't mean every premises in a city so is rather misleading.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 09:58:23 AM »

Sorry for the confusion, I was just curious about Openreach's rollout, since on the bidb it notes the area having Openreach FTTP "planned", but beyond that I can't seem to find any information on their plans

Oh no problem.

Openreach has it "planned" for the whole country technically, so it's not really worth much. Best you can do is keep an eye open for roadwork notices. I know they are rolling out in Maesteg at the moment thus there are a number of OR roadwork notices up that way.

The other interesting thing to note is if the exchange gets a stop-sell order. Where I grew up (another valley town 50 miles away), this was added to the notification list, now all of a sudden there are many roadwork notices (the other week there were absolutely none), so that is a good indicator too. I only still look at that town as I still have family there who would want it.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 10:40:33 AM »

Bridgened is in full-swing, on the Openreach FTTP Rural programme.

A large amount of PON's have been manually surveyed within the last few months, with still quite a bit to do.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 11:24:25 AM »

Bridgened is in full-swing, on the Openreach FTTP Rural programme.

A large amount of PON's have been manually surveyed within the last few months, with still quite a bit to do.

Nice, I can see many notices around Bridgend, but with OR's own website placing us in the "by 2026" bucket.. you can see why it's hard to see what they're up to...

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 12:26:20 PM »

I get that - but I cannot stress enough, just how quickly things change on this nationwide infrastructure re-build.

OR are recruiting like mad externally, they are up-skilling the existing 'copper' workforce and sideways moving folk where necessary, and our Tier 1 contractors are constantly farming out work to their own, ever-growing list of sub-contractors.

All-in-all, it makes for great reading in that Exchanges that weren't even in any kind of plan at all (like mine), are now being built or have had their dates moved forward somewhat. Trying to keep abreast of it all, is I would say, virtually impossible.  :)

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 02:38:29 PM »

I get that - but I cannot stress enough, just how quickly things change on this nationwide infrastructure re-build.

OR are recruiting like mad externally, they are up-skilling the existing 'copper' workforce and sideways moving folk where necessary, and our Tier 1 contractors are constantly farming out work to their own, ever-growing list of sub-contractors.

All-in-all, it makes for great reading in that Exchanges that weren't even in any kind of plan at all (like mine), are now being built or have had their dates moved forward somewhat. Trying to keep abreast of it all, is I would say, virtually impossible.  :)

Actually I was thinking about what you said - Bridgend covered under the Rural program (Does that include the WHOLE of Bridgend County or just Bridgend town?)

The Fibre First map - would that include progress under such a Rural program?

And yes, I didn't mean to come across as curt - I absolutely appreciate the scale of this project, it's flippin' humongous and not to be underestimated!

I agree, it is great to see the progress! I guess by being overly conservative will pay off when areas suddenly get the lights turn on way ahead of 2026... nice.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2022, 03:27:06 PM »

Actually I was thinking about what you said - Bridgend covered under the Rural program (Does that include the WHOLE of Bridgend County or just Bridgend town?)

The Fibre First map - would that include progress under such a Rural program?

And yes, I didn't mean to come across as curt - I absolutely appreciate the scale of this project, it's flippin' humongous and not to be underestimated!

I agree, it is great to see the progress! I guess by being overly conservative will pay off when areas suddenly get the lights turn on way ahead of 2026... nice.

Mate, you didn't come across as curt, apologies if my reply seems that way  :-\

There are many and varied FTTP roll out programmes, with Rural being just one of them - albeit, one of the main players.

The roll-out is done on an Exchange-by-Exchange basis, not a county borough basis.
So, for example ... in Bridgend County Borough alongside Bridgend Exchange itself being worked on under the rural programme, so is Maesteg Exchane and Pencoed Exchane, but currently Porthcawl Exchange is not. That could all change tomorrow based on numerous factors, and Porthcawl could get programmed in ??.

Like I've said many, many times previously on the forums and in PM's - somebody will have been first to get FTTP, someone will be last (probably Weaver  ;D ) - it is what it is. If you want to PM me your post code I may be able to look a little deeper for you.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2022, 03:31:29 PM »

I wonder if that includes my exchange BS...  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5